Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    We didn't see Ashley Wagner slagging of USFSA or her competitors on facebook/twitter or other media when she was getting best results from all US ladies and then messed up one nationals and missed out on Olympics 2010. Hopefully Melissa Bulanhagui will learn.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont think it is the same situation because of the added complications of changing feds
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Title-less
    vCash
    nm

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple View Post
    Melissa Bulanhagui banned from Philippine Nationals: http://instagram.com/p/f5iyUVF4g9/
    I don't have an account. What does it say?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I don't have an account. What does it say?
    "Be informed that the President is not inclined to grant you clearance to participate at the forthcoming Philippine Nationals 2013 due to your utter disrespect towards the decisions made by the Philippine Skating Union and due to you subsequent acts inimical to the interest of the Federation"

vCash
    at the comments below. My personal favorites:
    "They deserved to be disrepected."
    "(To fans/friends) If you want to give the president a piece of your mind email him all you want." From her husband of all people. #Nobodyf*ckswithmywife
    "What disrepect? You should report them to the ISU."

Geez with friends like that how can you go wrong in life?
    Last edited by DobrinFan; 10-26-2013 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    at the comments below.
    "They deserved to be disrepected."
    "(To fans/friends) If you want to give the president a piece of your mind email him all you want." From her husband of all people. #Nobodyf*ckswithmywife

Geez with friends like that how can you go wrong in life?
    Wow, she and her husband really are behaving like 5-year olds...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Wow, she and her husband really are behaving like 5-year olds...
    Totally agree! Looks like the philippine skating union has made the right decision. Also, it looks like she is not being sent to the Coupe de Nice either. Guess this is the end of the season for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple View Post
    Totally agree! Looks like the philippine skating union has made the right decision. Also, it looks like she is not being sent to the Coupe de Nice either. Guess this is the end of the season for her.
    End of season? I think maybe even end of career. If she continues with what she is doing, she won't be allowed to compete for them even next year and year after that... Is she young enough to change countries again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    End of season? I think maybe even end of career. If she continues with what she is doing, she won't be allowed to compete for them even next year and year after that... Is she young enough to change countries again?
    She mentioned switching to pairs with Taylor Toth in an interview (can't find the link), but I'm not sure if she's serious. Other than that, yeah sounds like her career is over. Any chance USFA will take her back?

vCash
    there's always Azerbaijan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    there's always Azerbaijan
    And she could train with Kristin Fraser/Igor Lukanin at her rink just like the current 'Azerbaijani' junior man! <3

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    PH's first Olympic skater rues lack of gov't support: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-fi...k-govt-support
    Excerpt:
    Despite the rare appearance and a shot at an Olympic medal, [Michael Christian] Martinez said they are getting little financial support from the Philippine government.

With no training facilities in the Philippines, the allowance they do receive burns fast as training for figure skating can run up to thousands of dollars per month in the US as the 16-year-old trains in Southern California.

He met with officials of the Los Angeles Philippine consulate, who promised to try to secure more support from Philippine sporting bodies, as well as get Martinez in touch with Filipino community groups to help him in his Olympic quest.
    Last week, Martinez scored 197.18 (66.01 SP, 131.17 FS) in placing 4th at the Volvo Open Cup (Senior B) in Riga, Latvia.

I believe Philippine Nationals will take place Nov. 23-24 at the SM Mall Of Asia ice rink in Pasay City, Philippines (will start a competition thread in Kiss and Cry as soon as I can confirm the dates).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This is too bad, especially now in light of what happened in the Phillipines last week in regards to Super Typhoon Haiyan. I doubt many people can afford to contribute, hopefully Michael can secure a sponsor or two here in the States...

This is why I'm always so happy when a skater does get a sponsor, helps with the tremendous cost of skating, and on that note I hope all skaters around the world get at least one sponsor for the upcoming Olympics.

vCash
    Has Martinez officially been declared the Olympic entrant then, regardless of Nats against Caluza?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Has Martinez officially been declared the Olympic entrant then, regardless of Nats against Caluza?
    Michael tweeted that he had been informed that he would be going to Sochi by his federation - that was, IIRC, several weeks ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    hopefully Michael can secure a sponsor or two here in the States...

This is why I'm always so happy when a skater does get a sponsor, helps with the tremendous cost of skating, and on that note I hope all skaters around the world get at least one sponsor for the upcoming Olympics.
    The Philippines does have some home-grown major corporations that could help sponsor him (San Miguel, Jollibee, certain banks) as well as Phils subsidiaries of multinationals. I'm not sure if he's approached any of them for help yet.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Yes - refer to twicken's post #103.

Fact: Caluza, the current Philippine national champ, has placed ahead of Martinez the last 3 times they have competed head-to-head: Philippine Nationals in November 2012, 2013 Four Continents, and the U.S. International Classic in SLC this past September.

Even so, I can understand why the PHI federation decided to send Martinez to Nebelhorn Trophy due to his excellent showing at 2013 Junior Worlds (5th), consistent triple Axel, his youth (he turned 17 earlier this month), and the fact that he he was born and grew up in the Philippines. Caluza hurt his chances, IMO, when he skated way below par in the SP at 2013 Worlds and did not qualify for the FS.

I admire that Caluza has "let his skating do the talking" so far - he skated very well and won the silver medal in a Senior B in Italy this past September (he set new personal best scores even though they don't count) - from earlier in this thread:
    Caluza won the silver medal at Lombardia Trophy in Italy today with a total score of 201.57! His FS (132.91): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjoVlZ_Q9r4
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Such a shame about that Worlds SP, that likely was indeed the decider.

But Martinez has good potential and is pleasant to watch - I hope he can make the most of the opportunity. And kudos to Caluza for his excellent attitude considering the disappointment.

vCash
    I feel sorry for Caluza. He is a very special skater, capable of pulling off creative and complex choreography, a lot of transitions, whilst performing with real passion. He should destroy most skaters with quads on those three PCS marks at least.

Nevertheless, I have to agree with the federation's decision. Martinez has a consitent 3axel, which Caluza lacks, is young and seems to be quite consistent.

Having said that, again, just like with Bulanghui vs. Pertricheto, the Filipino federation should have had a clear and transparent nomination process.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast