Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple View Post
    https://twitter.com/chriscaluza/stat...38508966559744

I smell bitterness and spite. What is he still griping about? Michael was clearly a better choice for the Olympics. Discrediting Michael will do him no good.
    There is no need for him to imply that Michael needs to get a job in order to finance his skating. He is a recent HS graduate and is only 17 years old. Their circumstances are also very different since Michael will need to go abroad (US) to train while Caluza is already based in the US so he has easier access to training.
    Caluza needs to move on and stop with all the shading in his tweets. He should just focus on upping his technical content such as getting the 3A and mastering a quad jump.
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 05-11-2014 at 07:14 AM.

vCash
    Pinoy pride fires up streets of New York City
    NEW YORK - Filipino pride fired up the streets of New York City at the 116th Philippine Independence Day celebrations on Sunday.

Every first Sunday of June for 25 years now, Filipinos turn Madison Avenue into one big showcase of fiesta and culture.

From Filipino professionals to domestic helpers to beauty queesn - every sector of the Filipino community from 12 nearby states was represented.

This year's parade celebrates the triumphs of those who wore the flag: boxing and mixed martial arts champion Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton; Michele Bumgarner, the first Filipina to race and win on the international stage of auto racing; and Olympic figure skater Michael Christian Martinez, the first Southeast Asian to qualify for the Winter Olympics.
    "Kahit na small, yung, maliit yung country pero pero magagaling naman tayong lahat at natatalo natin yung mga iba't ibang mga malalaking bansa... Sa tingin ko we are really blessed by God," Martinez said.

Some photos from the Philippine Independence Day Parade are available on Michael's Facebook fan page:
    https://www.facebook.com/MichaelChri...38066289569042

vCash
    Posted originally on May 14 in the Skate Guard articles/interviews thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Born to Filipino parents, California's Christopher Caluza took up skating at age seven and after finding success as a national competitor within the U.S. made the difficult decision to represent the country of his parent's birth in international competition. It has paid off in dividends! Christopher has represented The Philippines at three World Championships and three Four Continents Championships and found success in international competition around the world. It was my pleasure to talk to him at length about his competitive career, plans going forward, his thoughts on the importance of the short program and much, much more:

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/...er-caluza.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Re-posting from the new programs info thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Michael Christian Martinez did an interview and it shows segments of him training his new program choreographed by Morozov. Sounds like he's skating to Phantom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suo6XAS-HDo
    The news segment was filmed in Hackensack, New Jersey. It was also reported that he plans to debut his new program at the Asian Open in Taiwan, August 6-10 (first Senior B of the season).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It was also reported that he plans to debut his new program at the Asian Open in Taiwan, August 6-10 (first Senior B of the season).
    Does Martinez ever get any rest? I don't understand why he competes so often at senior Bs, it can't be the money and it's not worth the ranking points for him to do as many as he does.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Seriously... I think it's time that the PhSU stop importing Fil-Am skaters.
    Disagree. If the skaters have citizenship & are qualified, why should the federation not keep all their options open just because there have been attitude problems with a couple previous skaters? Imagine if another skater, like Musademba, loaded with ability, comes along & can maintain high levels of skating over the years. It will only help their federation while they continue to grow the sport in their own country.

vCash
    That just sounds good in theory, but is rarely the case. I can't speak for other countries, but as a Filipino, I feel that the American imports are switching federations as a last desperate attempt to go international. It would be great to actually have an import who has any chance of placing well or getting a good score... Unlike ageing, self-entitled, bottom-of-the-pack skaters like Bulanhangui and Caluza, who both had nothing to contribute to bring the sport or the PhSU forward. Instead, they disrespect the authorities and belittle their teammates. So until a FilAm skaters with a competitive edge shows interest, it's pointless to import people like MB and CC.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Stating it's "rarely the case" when it's a brand new federation & these are the only 2 US skaters is hardly an accurate assessment of the overall situation.

vCash
    Triple, to skate for a country you have to be a citizen and have a passport, so what do you think is imported here? Do you really think a filipino is more filipino if they were born in the Philippines? And where does this end, next you will say that a skater who was born in the Philippines but trains out side of the Philippines is not pure or that they have used alien coaches and are therefore an import as well. There is no end to where this can go. Besides, skaters switch to countries such as the Philippines to enjoy competing internationally as they wouldn't have the opportunity where they came from. Its all pretty simple, just develop better skaters locally if thats what your desire is.

And as for the PhSU, they seam to be doing a wonderful job of moving the sport forward. They put a filipino to the olympics, and another filipino to worlds and 4CC's this past year. They are allowing anyone who has Filipino Citizenship to skate and let the best man/woman win. Why would anyone want to restrict prior to testing everyone in a competition. Your thoughts on the matter don't make any sense to me, and I suspect to most people as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    Triple, to skate for a country you have to be a citizen and have a passport, so what do you think is imported here?
    All you need to represent a country in ISU-sanctioned competitions is resident status. You only need citizenship in order to compete at the Olympics.

I think the worry here is that instead of developing skating locally, the federation is only going to focus on "importing skaters." The Israeli Federation is the best example of that. Skating is pretty much dead in Israel, largely as a result of the feud between the federation and the Metulla centre, which for a long time used to be the only ice rink (I think there are two other ones now but neither of them full-size?). All the Israeli Fed seems to be doing is importing foreign skaters with Jewish heritage.

Of course you can do both.

vCash
    Yes under rule 109, you can be a resident as you say, however I didn't bring that up since "triple" was focused on imports coming from the bad lands

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I think the worry here is that instead of developing skating locally, the federation is only going to focus on "importing skaters." The Israeli Federation is the best example of that. Skating is pretty much dead in Israel, largely as a result of the feud between the federation and the Metulla centre, which for a long time used to be the only ice rink (I think there are two other ones now but neither of them full-size?). All the Israeli Fed seems to be doing is importing foreign skaters with Jewish heritage.

Of course you can do both.
    Eilat is a mall rink but full-sized. The problem is that like Metula, it's at the end of the country (the southern tip, in this case). There is a skating school there and they are working with local kids, but it's only been open a couple of years so it'll take time. Holon is central and seems to be the main interest of the federation, and they too are working with some younger skaters. I don't understand why go to all the trouble of building a new rink and then make it half-sized (the location is such that they could have made it bigger, I think). The last skater who grew up training in Israel and has succeeded internationally is Krasnopolski; I hope eventually one of the kids from Eilat or Holon will be able to compete respectably at the international level.

I agree with what you wrote regarding the problem with focusing on bringing in skaters from abroad rather than grassroots development. I don't think it's wrong to bring in some skaters with ties to the country, but the main focus needs to be on building a local program and developing local skaters (like Spain and Ireland have done). You can always send them abroad for training once they outgrow the local options. In this respect, I think that Michael Christian Martinez is exactly the sort of skater any smaller federation should be thrilled to have.

vCash
    Exactly! And if both the government and federation will provide ample support, there will be a few more homegrown atheletes like Michael who can reach Olympic-level achievements. There will be absolutely no need to recruit from outside. I mean, fine, if it's a difference between a medal (or even top10) and none, then by all means, import. But if it's a lower-ranked hopeless cases like MB and CC, then it's more counterproductive than beneficial. Being qualified to skate for the Philippines shouldnt be the only criteria. Utmost preference should be given to local kids. Importing should be done wisely and strategically, and only when something big is in store. Otherwise, the homegrown athletes should be given the support they deserve.

vCash
    I mean, fine, if it's a difference between a medal (or even top10) and none, then by all means, import. But if it's a lower-ranked hopeless cases like MB and CC, then it's more counterproductive than beneficial.
    What if it's a difference between meeting the minimum technical scores for ISU championships vs. no homegrown skaters who have met those criteria?

By all means, send the home-grown skaters to JGPs or senior Bs if they can at least attempt the short program required elements. That's the only way they can earn the championship minimums anyway. But if there are no homegrown skaters who are even ready to attempt double axels, should no one be sent to any internationals?

If the homegrown skaters who do attempt double axels and maybe triples, don't get enough successful elements completed in their early season internationals, should no one be sent to Euros/4Cs or to Jr. Worlds?

How will homegrown judges get international experience with no skaters entered in events?

vCash
    There will be, if the funding and support are there. I mean, how did Michael Martinez reach his competitive level? Imagine what can he and the others achieve with proper training and better facilities? It's not gonna be an overnight change. It will take time. It's not as if the imports are delivering stellar performances anyway. So it's worth a shot to develop a home base program for local athletes until we find another gem like Michael.

vCash
    I'm not saying don't develop home-grown skaters.

I'm saying that, while a new federation is still in early stages of developing the program and doesn't have the home-grown skaters to fill the international spots, is it better to leave them unfilled or to use imported skaters?

I recently heard an American who represents a smaller federation comment that her relative international success (e.g., senior B medal, participation in championships; not challenging for championship medals) has inspired more young skaters to take up the sport in the country she represents. But none of them are ready for international assignments yet.

According to your previous post, the federation would be better off sending no one to international events. But would that really help the program to develop faster?

The tricky part comes when there are some homegrown skaters and some imported skaters at similar skill levels, good enough to aim to qualify for Worlds etc. but not (yet?) to aim for medals there.

If there are more qualified skaters than spots available, how does the federation determine who to send? How much weight do they give to nationals results, to international results, to citizenship/birthplace/training site?

It seems important to communicate clear selection criteria to the skaters concerned. They could choose to adopt a policy of always sending a qualified skater who grew up in the home country before sending any foreign-born skater even if the foreign-born skater has had better results domestically and/or internationally. Or they could go strictly by nationals results, or some other combination of criteria. They just need to make sure everyone knows what to expect.

vCash
    I think the Philippines has benefitted from having two quality senior international men, Martinez and Caluza, competing at the same time. Both have represented their country well, as their results/scores have shown in 2013-14.

ETA that both men set new ISU personal best scores this past season:

Caluza: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013313.htm
    Personal Best Total Score 193.23 ISU World Championships 2014
    Personal Best Score Short Program 67.84 ISU Four Continents Championships 2014
    Personal Best Score Free Skating 128.54 ISU World Championships 2014
    (Caluza's 201.57 at Lombardia Trophy in Sept. 2013 is his highest international total score to date; he won the silver there.)

Martinez: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012802.htm
    Personal Best Total Score 198.82 ISU JGP Tallinn Cup 2013
    Personal Best Score Short Program 67.01 World Junior Championships 2013
    Personal Best Score Free Skating 135.15 ISU JGP Tallinn Cup 2013
    (I'm checking to see what Martinez's highest Senior B total score is; he won gold at 2014 Triglav Trophy in April and placed 1st as the only senior man at 2014 Skate Helena in January.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-10-2014 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    (I'm checking to see what Martinez's highest Senior B total score is; he won gold at 2014 Triglav Trophy in April and placed 1st as the only senior man at 2014 Skate Helena in January.)
    I believe his highest score at a senior B last season was 195.13 at the Triglav trophy, which is of course lower than his official PB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I believe his highest score at a senior B last season was 195.13 at the Triglav trophy, which is of course lower than his official PB.
    His November 2013 total score at Volvo Cup in Latvia was slightly higher:
    4 Michael Christian MARTINEZ PHI 197.18 4 4

The 2013 U.S. International Classic in Salt Lake City was his only head-to-head meeting with Caluza last season:
    5 Christopher Caluza, PHI 61.79 (6) 123.54 (5) 185.33
    6 Michael Christian Martinez, PHI 59.65 (7) 123.39 (6) 183.04

vCash
    Martinez has landed a sponsorship deal with SM megamall (owner most of the ice rinks in the country) for 9 million (a little more than $200,000)pesos every year till 2018.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2erdz...XQc_noEqKxVJXA

but he did have to stop his training in the US to do promotions in the Philippines for a while

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast