Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    vCash
    I hope that's good news in terms of necessary levels of support. I've got to believe there are some more Philippine consumer companies that will also step up with some endorsement money. Now I just hope he can rest up enough to heal those injuries and take a mental break/brief holiday. He has been a workhorse, indeed.

vCash
    Hopefully, I was actually surprised that they were running out of funds because I thought that when Michael got back to the Philippines and got a hero's welcome with so much press and media coverage I thought it would really get him the needed sponsors since training in the US is even more expensive when you earn money in peso. Maybe his mom is already in talks with a few more companies other than the SM group.

vCash
    http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/ind...ting-events-up

The Philippines is hosting more events, but I think they wanted Junior World Championship or 4CC instead. I think the ISU should give them one Junior Grand Prix event at least

vCash
    Doesn't Mall of Asia have just one rink? You need two ice surfaces - either in the same building or quite close to each other - in order to host any ISU events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Doesn't Mall of Asia have just one rink? You need two ice surfaces - either in the same building or quite close to each other - in order to host any ISU events.
    They plan to hold it in the Mall of Asia Arena

http://sports.inquirer.net/files/2012/06/sm-arena.jpg

Its walking distance from the skating rink

vCash
    Oh in that case they can just lay out a temporary ice surface in the arena and use the mall skating rink as a practice rink I guess.

vCash
    there's a convention center very close to the arena. that can be the practice rink.

vCash
    Christopher Caluza's quad loop attempt: http://instagram.com/p/ngPdJZLM1I/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Christopher Caluza's quad loop attempt: http://instagram.com/p/ngPdJZLM1I/
    That looked over 1/2 under-rotated. He will need to get more height in order to fully complete the rotation. He seemed a bit slow going into it so perhaps that's partially why. I can imagine that a quadruple jump must be very hard to control if you're entering it with a lot of speed.

Great to see him attempt it, though. I really hope that he can expand his jump repertoire next season because his presentation and his programs are usually fantastic and he doesn't get anywhere near enough credit from the judges on the PCS because of not having a 3axel at least (and even better a quad). Even though obviously what jumps you execute shouldn't affect your PCS marks but then...

vCash
    New article from Examiner about Michael Martinez. http://www.examiner.com/article/michael-martinez-weeps

At the Martinez’s home in the hills of Bayanan, Muntinlupa, I visited the Martinezes and they confirmed that, “unless a deal comes up that would cover Michael’s training in the next four years,” the road to the 2018 Olympiad is totally inaccessible. How did Michael react? “Umiyak siya,” said Teresa. “But at the same time he completely understands that his family, however willing, just can’t do what it did to him in the last four-five years” – scrimping on whatever funds they could have to sustain his dream of performing in the Olympics.

Mother and son maintained a guarded stance of any alternative plan they have in mind (if they have any) in case the inevitable happens. Although my reliable sources in Los Angeles are saying an interesting thing is about to unfold.
    "Umiyak siya" means he cried. I wonder what "interesting thing" is about to unfold? Hope Michael gets a corporate sponsorship ASAP. So if this is the case SM might have not been able to give enough money to cover a big portion of his training expenses or they haven't given him additional money yet?.
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 05-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    This is getting a little too dramatic. I hope he just sets up his training & funding plan & shares his arrangements. If he really doesn't have funding, he should set up a training fund & let fellow Pinoys in the Philippines & US know - I'm sure many would help with contributions.

It almost is starting to sounds as if it is being intentionally dramatized for effect. He is a fine skater & whoever is representing him doesn't need to go down that road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    It almost is starting to sounds as if it is being intentionally dramatized for effect. He is a fine skater & whoever is representing him doesn't need to go down that road.
    Whilst I understand that the training costs are extremely high, it does indeed sound like his mother is intentionally dramatising this in order to obtain more money. This kind of strategy is very risky and might backfire.

vCash
    https://twitter.com/chriscaluza/stat...38508966559744

I smell bitterness and spite. What is he still griping about? Michael was clearly a better choice for the Olympics. Discrediting Michael will do him no good.

vCash
    As much as I adore Caluza's elegant skating, off-ice he seems to be a sad little troll.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-10-2014 at 07:32 AM.

vCash
    I think he is desperate for attention and so envious of all the publicity Michael is getting so he turns to social media where he would name-drop elite skaters, as if he's in the same circle and criticizing his Filipino teammates. IMO, it was a mistake that PhSU took him into the national team. The Fed would be better off without him, considering how disrepectful and bitter he has been. Same for Bulanhagui. Seriously... I think it's time that the PhSU stop importing Fil-Am skaters.

vCash
    Isn't Caluza in his 20's? I don't think bragging about having a job is really appropriate, considering he probably should be moving towards supporting himself anyways. Figure skater or not. I feel like when people write tweets like this they have lost perspective on what they are doing and want to achieve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Christopher Caluza's quad loop attempt: https://twitter.com/chriscaluza/stat...38508966559744
    ouch, that was level 10 bitterness
    whats up with Philippine skater's tweets, Bulanghaui now Caluza

vCash
    Let's not forget Martinez's mom, although that wasn't a Tweet was it? It was more like a three-paragraph rant.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Let's not forget Martinez's mom, although that wasn't a Tweet was it? It was more like a three-paragraph rant.
    so it was payback ? lol
    still he's been trolling most of his tweets about Martinez

vCash
    Honestly, what disappoints me about this entire thing is that Caluza is several years older than Martinez. He should be the more mature one, and he should channel his efforts into getting the necessary elements that will help pull in better scores. What is he trying to imply? That Martinez should get a job as well? He's just graduated from high school, for goodness' sake!

First, it's Bulanhagui. Now, it's Caluza. If this keeps up, there really will be no "Team" Philippines to speak of. We'll just keep sending lone skaters because there is too much ill will amongst the Filipino figure skaters. I don't think they realize that if one of them does really well in the rankings, there might be a chance to get more spots/berths. They really should just focus on practicing harder and performing better, and let their skates speak for themselves.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast