Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

vCash
    No stoppin’ Michael Martinez’s magic carpet ride

Coming off from a fabulous stint at the medal round of the Sochi Olympiad, the Filipino figure skating superstar outclassed an international field on the way to winning the gold medal at the ISU-sanctioned Triglav Trophy international skating competition in Jesenice, Slovenia.

Martinez, who was atop the standings after the short program, skated a near-flawless freeskate to win the gold medal with so much to spare. Dancing to his latest program “Malaguena,” Martinez nailed all but one of his jumps. He got a 139.84 score for his effort, and a combined total of 195.13, some 3.69 off his ISU personal best of 198.82.

“I am very happy that I won here in Slovenia. After the short program, I was not very positive in winning the gold. I am not yet 100 per cent healed from my injuries. At some point I was tentative in some of my jumps in the long program,” Martinez told this writer in an FB message. “Now that I win it, it made the victory a little sweeter.”

Martinez overcomes injuries to win gold at Triglav Trophy

Examiner also reports that Martinez is scheduled to return to the Philippines on April 20.

Martinez added on his Facebook: "I thank God for this blessing - another gold medal in senior event. It was actually difficult for all of us because the 30 minutes practice sessions were scheduled a day before, and no more practices during the competition days. I'm very happy I made it to first place."
    Last edited by turquoiseblue; 04-07-2014 at 12:07 AM.

vCash
    ^^^ Chris Caluza congratulated Martinez on Twitter.

Caluza had a good Worlds in Saitama (ETA: 19th was his highest finish in 3 trips to Worlds), setting new ISU personal best scores, FS (128.54) and Total (193.23). Link to his Worlds FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk8qs4Z8Q1A

Results/protocols are posted in the Triglav Trophy competition thread in Kiss and Cry (now open to all): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...April-2-6-2014

Martinez landed 6 triples in his FS, including both 3A. IIRC, he said at the Olympics that his future goals include landing a 3-3 consistently and learning a quad.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-07-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Now that the sponsor money is flowing in, thanks to the Olympics exposure, I wonder whether Martinez is going to relocate to the US full-time and who his coach will be. He's also been reported to have had a very good working relationship with Kudriavtsev who praised his work ethic so Moscow would also be an option.

vCash
    With the addition of his Triglav points, Martinez will be in the top 24 on the ISU World Ranking list after the old data is purged. Any chance he will move up to Senior internationally?

vCash
    Martinez has been competing in Senior B comps for the past 2 years already; I can't see him turning down a Grand Prix invitation.

(Waiting to see if he receives the 250 ISU ranking points for Triglav despite there only being 7 Senior men entered.)

ETA: If he doesn't qualify for a Senior GP invite, then it would make more sense for him, ISU points-wise, to return to the JGP and continue to do Senior B comps.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-07-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

(Waiting to see if he receives the 250 ISU ranking points for Triglav despite there only being 7 Senior men entered.)
    Where are the requirements documented for the number of skaters/different countries represented, officials, etc. for an event to qualify for WS points?

The definition of an international competition is that at least one foreign member is invited and at least two members participate, but the ISU Constitution only references World Standings WRT start orders.

ETA: Found it: 1629 says points are only earned if there are at least eight entries in singles, six from four members for Dance, and five from three members for Pairs. Martinez should not be awarded points for Triglav, which puts him back in the position before the competition, at #27 on the WS list, if no one is removed. From what I recall, it's up to the Feds to tell the ISU when a skater has retired, which they usually do by the time they submit names for the GP, and only then is the skater removed. There are the potential removals that would impact the Top 24 WS: Abbott, #25 Verner, both of whom have announced retirements, and Takahashi, who has not. Martinez would need all three to be removed before he'd move into Top 24 SB.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-07-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Where are the requirements documented for the number of skaters/different countries represented, officials, etc. for an event to qualify for WS points?
    I believe this is the most recent ISU Communication (from 2010): http://static.isu.org/media/99358/16...g-sandp_id.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Now that the sponsor money is flowing in, thanks to the Olympics exposure, I wonder whether Martinez is going to relocate to the US full-time and who his coach will be. He's also been reported to have had a very good working relationship with Kudriavtsev who praised his work ethic so Moscow would also be an option.
    IIRC, Martinez mentioned in Sochi that he hopes to continue working with both Kulik and Kudriatsev.

vCash

The definition of an international competition is that at least one foreign member is invited and at least two members participate, but the ISU Constitution only references World Standings WRT start orders.

ETA: Found it: 1629 says points are only earned if there are at least eight entries in singles, six from four members for Dance, and five from three members for Pairs. Martinez should not be awarded points for Triglav, which puts him back in the position before the competition, at #27 on the WS list, if no one is removed. From what I recall, it's up to the Feds to tell the ISU when a skater has retired, which they usually do by the time they submit names for the GP, and only then is the skater removed. There are the potential removals that would impact the Top 24 WS: Abbott, #25 Verner, both of whom have announced retirements, and Takahashi, who has not. Martinez would need all three to be removed before he'd move into Top 24 SB.
    Can he enter both the Jr. and Sr. Grand Prix? He has a very good chance at qualifying for the GPF at the Jr level, so I would prefer him to do that instead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twicken View Post
    Can he enter both the Jr. and Sr. Grand Prix? He has a very good chance at qualifying for the GPF at the Jr level, so I would prefer him to do that instead
    It's not allowed. Pairs were able to do both Junior and Senior Grand Prix at one point and I can't recall whether this is still the case or not.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The rules changed from 2011-12:

Skaters/couples entered for an event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating may not participate in the same discipline of an event of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating in the same season, except for Pairs. Only skaters participating in different disciplines with the exception of the Pair discipline may enter into both the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating in the same year/skating season.
    to 2012-13:

Skaters/couples entered for an event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating may not participate in the same discipline of an event of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating in the same season. Only skaters participating in different disciplines may enter into both the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating in the same year/skating season.
    The Federations submit one list of skaters for GP eligibility and another for JGP eligibility, with no overlap.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

The ISU has in the past awarded points when there are less than 8 skaters participating. The most recent example was Coupe de Printemps, when there were 7 men. Points were awarded to the top 5 men at that competition, so I'd assume they'd be awarded for Triglav as well.

vCash
    2014 Coupe du Printemps final results listed 2 Senior men as WD (unlike at Triglav) - I wonder if that's why the ISU ranking points were counted?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    The ISU has in the past awarded points when there are less than 8 skaters participating. The most recent example was Coupe de Printemps, when there were 7 men. Points were awarded to the top 5 men at that competition, so I'd assume they'd be awarded for Triglav as well.
    They've update the Ladies WS, but they haven't added points for the men, at least at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    2014 Coupe du Printemps final results listed 2 Senior men as WD (unlike at Triglav) - I wonder if that's why the ISU ranking points were counted?
    If I were an event organizer, I would call my friends in high places and be sure to have some extra entries, even if they were planning to WD.

vCash
    Martinez' season may not yet be over - he's considering competing at the UAE (Desert) Open in Dubai (I believe at the end of the month or early May).

vCash
    I Googled and came up with "Desert Open Figure Skating Championship in Abu Dhabi, Zyed Sport City ice rink on Friday and Saturday 25-26 April 2014." Is there an ISU competition announcement?

ETA that the Desert Open is not an ISU competition - it's the Golden Cup of Dubai (refer to sammyf's links posted below).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-10-2014 at 10:23 PM.

vCash
    Thanks, sammyf!

ETA that I've started a thread in the Kiss and Cry section (currently open to all): Golden Cup of Dubai 2014 - UAE's inaugural ISU international competition, May 4-7
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-10-2014 at 10:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Martinez' season may not yet be over - he's considering competing at the UAE (Desert) Open in Dubai (I believe at the end of the month or early May).
    That boy is such a workhorse!

vCash
    Michael Martinez returns home with gold medal

Winter Olympian Michael Christian Martinez returned home on Good Friday after winning a gold medal at the Triglav Trophy in Slovenia earlier this month.

"I'm so happy to be another source of Filipino pride," Martinez said in an earlier interview with ABS-CBN's Steve Angeles before boarding his flight.

On his arrival in Manila, Martinez saod is ecstatic by the win, despite the injuries he earlier sustained on his right knee. He also revealed that he wasn't able to practice prior to the competition.
    Martinez, who was the lone representative of the country at Sochi Winter Olympics last February, will stay and train in the Philippines for about a month.

He is set to compete in another competition in Dubai this coming May but said he will have to rest for a week first before starting with his training again.

"If possible I think Iím going to rest first and then I have another competition in Dubai," he said. "I'll train in Manila at the Mall of Asia."

vCash
    Update on Michael Martinez.

He's very happy that he won the gold medal at the Triglav Trophy since it was his first time to beat the 2 Japanese skaters who have a better records than him. His injured knees are also doing better.

There was a news report and interview of him (and his mother) saying that he might need to stop skating because his mother said that they are running out of funds to support his skating career for the next four years since in order to get to the next level of skating (like learning/perfecting the quad jump and other skills ) he needs to train in the US. His mother said that training in the US will cost them 10,000 USD per month since the coaches there charge 100-150 USD per hour. BUT his mom is in talks with the SM Group (one of the biggest companies in the Philippines, which owns the malls and the ice skating rinks where Michael trains and learned to skate) and they released a statement that they are committed to supporting him until the 2018 Winter Olympics. No details though on how much money they are willing to sponsor him.

Here is a link to the article and the video. The video is in Tagalog/Filipino but the article is in English.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/04...z-olympics-bid
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 04-21-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast