Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    Injuries could force Michael Christian Martinez’ withdrawal from [Junior] World Championships

“I just feel excited to step on the ice already. I feel so excited to jump already,” he said during his Wednesday morning session.

However, with little rest since the Olympics and a lack of practice, the history making Olympian is considering withdrawing from next week’s Junior World Championships Bulgaria, where he finished in 5th place last year.

“It’s too short,” he explained. “Everybody’s been doing it for months, everybody’s been practicing for months. For me, I’ve just been doing it 10 days.”
    On this day at the Lake Forest Ice Palace, the Philippines Ice Prince tried to regain his Olympic form with coach former US Olympian Scott Wedland.

“He is battling some injuries and not really having enough time to train at this point,” Wedland said. “We’re going to see how he’s doing, prepare for Junior Worlds right now, and we have to make that decision right now and see where he’s at if he’s competitive or not.”

Wedland described Martinez’ condition as “50/50″.
    The 17-year-old was originally scheduled to fly out to Bulgaria this weekend. He will make a decision by the end of this week.

However, if he does pass on the Juniors, he will get to begin the offseason earlier and be at full strength when the skating season starts in the summer.
    Last edited by turquoiseblue; 03-07-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: To add a word "Junior" to the title of the article and to add some more quotes

vCash
    He's been grinding away since Nebelhorn. Poor kid.

vCash
    It is always a big challenge for skaters living in tropical countries where ice skating is non-existent. This kid is talented to have qualified to skate in Sochi. Unless the government can assist (like Yuna and Ten), it is an uphill battle for skaters in these countries to progress.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    He's a terrific representative for the Philippines. I would rather see him skate as a long term prospect than risk injuries in a rush to get ready for Worlds.

vCash
    But he is not entered for Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    From what I have read, Michael is dealing with an injury (painful and problematic ankle) although he is trying to practice. I also read separately that Chris Caluza is on the Worlds team for Philippines. We'll see...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    From what I have read, Michael is dealing with an injury (painful and problematic ankle) although he is trying to practice. I also read separately that Chris Caluza is on the Worlds team for Philippines. We'll see...
    The entry lists for Worlds are out and Caluza has been entered, not Martinez.

vCash
    The entry lists for Worlds are out and Caluza has been entered, not Martinez.
    Good luck to Caluza, hoping that the Philippines can continue the a streak of creditable performances and build further.

vCash
    The original title of the article is missing the word "Junior".

The article says:

the history making Olympian is considering withdrawing from next week’s Junior World Championships Bulgaria, where he finished in 5th place last year
    The 17-year-old was originally scheduled to fly out to Bulgaria this weekend. He will make a decision by the end of this week.

However, if he does pass on the Juniors, he will get to begin the offseason earlier and be at full strength when the skating season starts in the summer.
    Last edited by turquoiseblue; 03-07-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: To add quotes

vCash
    Michael Martinez pulls out of World Juniors

Filipino figure skater Michael Christian Martinez will no longer be competing at the 2014 Junior World Figure Skating Championships in Bulgaria.

In a stement released on the SM Investments Corporation Facebook page, his mother Maria Teresa Martinez said: "Michael is withdrawing from the Bulgaria competition. It’s the doctor’s and coach’s decision. Michael’s doctor has recommended that he withdraw from the World Junior(s) since his knee injury has not completely healed yet, and his falls during his current practices are adding to the injuries."

Throughout his skating career, Martinez has suffered from various injuries, including multiple injuries to the ankle, knee and thigh.
    Last edited by turquoiseblue; 03-08-2014 at 08:12 AM.

vCash
    That is the big problem with competitive sport. You can't allow yourself to take a break long enough to fully heal and the injuries keep piling up overtime.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Good opportunity for Caluza to deliver a respectable performance without all the 'i wuz robbed' drama. I hope he seizes the day.

vCash
    I'm wondering why Alisson Perticheto didn't compete in the Juniors Worlds Championship. Does anyone know the reason? It was already sad that Michael Martinez was also not been able to take part because of his injuries. It would have been great if he was able to beat his placement last year but we will never know..

vCash
    Looks like she has been removed from the World Championship list as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    Looks like she has been removed from the World Championship list as well.
    Also just saw the list a few minutes ago. I wonder what happened? She's missed (Junior Worlds) and will be missing another great opportunity to gain international experience. Too bad there isn't an alternate that could replace her so that the PH could have a skater there at the Ladies event.

vCash
    The other junior skaters didn't make TES mins, and there are no other seniors who have TES mins. She is the only one that qualifies.

vCash
    She's probably injured.

vCash
    I suspect so, as someone told me she went to Jr Worlds and did the practice ice, then pulled out. So I think you hit the nail on the head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    The other junior skaters didn't make TES mins, and there are no other seniors who have TES mins. She is the only one that qualifies.
    I wonder what the P.S.U. thinks of its decision to put all of its eggs in the Perticheto basket. Melissa Bulanhagui met the SP minimum and narrowly missed the FS minimum. Given another chance (Nebelhorn), she might have made the FS minimum and also qualified a spot for the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I wonder what the P.S.U. thinks of its decision to put all of its eggs in the Perticheto basket. Melissa Bulanhagui met the SP minimum and narrowly missed the FS minimum. Given another chance (Nebelhorn), she might have made the FS minimum and also qualified a spot for the Olympics.
    And she might not have, too. But given the hissy fit she threw, I think it is good riddance...

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast