Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm inclined to think that the Federation dropped the ball. They still seem to be learning and doing things on the fly as they come up. They seem to be very Azerbaijan-like when it comes to stuff like this. Hopefully they can pull it together.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Filipino figure skater who can't always afford coach turns to prayer

I'm praying for you Michael Martinez!!

The time has come to set aside differences.

I have waited a long time to see the Philippines skate in the Winter Olympics, often wondering if it would ever happen.

Hopefully NBC realizes how many Filipino immigrants & their families will be watching in the US & will not try to commercial break during the entrance of the Philippines in the opening ceremonies.

PINOY PRIDE !!!!!!!
    Last edited by Artistic Skaters; 02-06-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Lone Filipino Athlete in the Winter Olympics

“I am confident that I will qualify in the freeskate or the final event. I had enough training days in Moscow to polish my act,” Martinez told this writer. “Now, I am ready and my confidence level is high. Thanks to the great support from Filipinos all over the world.”

It was Victor Kudryavtsev, the Russian coach who mentored former Olympic champ Ilia Kulik, who took care of the final preparations for the Filipino’s Olympic stint.

vCash
    I do not understand the logic behind PSU (Philippine Skating Union) not sending the current defending repeat-National champion to the games. I have nothing against Mrs. Martinez and Michael, but from the very start they were not interested on supporting Bulanhagui & Caluza. Especially when they did not send them to Obersdorf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TDsk8 View Post
    I do not understand the logic behind PSU (Philippine Skating Union) not sending the current defending repeat-National champion to the games. I have nothing against Mrs. Martinez and Michael, but from the very start they were not interested on supporting Bulanhagui & Caluza. Especially when they did not send them to Obersdorf.
    Martinez qualified the spot at Nebelhorn, is younger, finished fifth at Junior Worlds, has a higher PB than Caluza and probably more long-term potential, and was born and raised in the Philippines. I suspect some combination of these things decided this in his favor. In some countries, international results carry far more weight than Nationals.

Bulanhagui skated poorly last season, so the decision to send Perticheto to Nebelhorn was understandable.

Good luck to Michael and I hope he'll be joined by other Filipino skaters in 2018!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Martinez qualified the spot at Nebelhorn, is younger, finished fifth at Junior Worlds, has a higher PB than Caluza and probably more long-term potential, and was born and raised in the Philippines. I suspect some combination of these things decided this in his favor. In some countries, international results carry far more weight than Nationals.
    In the case of Caluza, I'd like to think the federation would have considered Caluza as the frontrunner had he qualified the spot outright at the 2013 World Championships. When he didn't make it to the long program at 2013 Worlds, that along with Martinez placing 5th at Junior Worlds were probably the critical factors in determining who would go to Nebelhorn (a decision that was made before any of the summer/early fall 2013-14 competitions).

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TDsk8 View Post
    Well you know enough people in the PSU to ask them directly instead of doing so on a figure skating message board.

vCash
    Wishing Michael well at the Olympics!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I'll make sure I never upset the Filipino cleaning lady we have at work.
    Rude.

vCash
    Happy Michael Christian Martinez did so well!
    Yay Michael, start of some really good things...who knows, he could do for Philippines what Denis Ten is doing for Kazhakstan!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Banned Member
    vCash
    Now, is his name Michael Christian Martinez or, " ummmmmm Martinez, Christian Michael?"

vCash
    Would love to figure skaters from traditionally non-skating countries do well. Martinez is pride of Philippines.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    An Exclusive One-on-One with Michael Christian Martinez

Now that Michael has reached celebrity status, how does he plan to handle all that?

“Ahh I don’t know. When I first got here a lot of people greeted me, people welcoming me… I didn’t really expect that. I was expecting just maybe some interviews, press conferences and some picture taking but I was not really expecting the big crowds. It is just overwhelming” he replied.
    So what do we expect from Michael from here on?

“Well, I’ll be working on my quadruple jumps so I can compete with the veteran skaters in the next Winter Olympic Games. I will try to get a medal there” he replied.
    Injuries? Although not something new for skaters, Michael admits he has a lot.

“Both of my knees hurt and I do have a torn ligament and a partial tear. I have two torn ligaments on my ankles, one of which is a partial tear and the other with a complete tear.”

vCash
    Martinez on Sochi stint: 'We made history'

"I feel so very proud that I’m marching there as the flag bearer. I finally made everyone and my mother proud. We've made history."
    Martinez is eyeing the next winter Olympics in 2018 in PyeongChang, South Korea, and has already laid out his training plan.

"For the four years before the Olympics, I plan to study a dance course so it would be easier. After (2018) Olympics, I plan to pay myself and take up (Sports) medicine," he shared.
    Right now, Martinez has gained not just financial support from the Manny V. Pangilinan Sports Foundation and the SM Foundation that amounts to $10,000 USD, but he also gained the following of many. In that, his mother always gave him advice that he will carry on in the next chapter of his life.

On what his mother’s advice, Martinez said, "Always pray to God and trust yourself. Just do your best and work so hard so at the end, it’s worth it."

Senate commends Michael Christian Martinez for historic Olympic campaign

"Despite his family's limited financial resources and a severe asthma condition, Martinez pursued his dream by developing his skills in figure skating in various shopping mall skating rinks in the country. Martinez' achievement has brought pride, recognition and honor to the country and to the Filipino people."
    Last edited by turquoiseblue; 02-26-2014 at 01:20 PM.

vCash
    He has a big, big fan in my mom. Ever since she saw him at the Olympics, she's been talking about him a lot during our phone conversations.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    I really loved his performances at the Olympics...so much potential! I hope that he will continue to find sponsors who will fund his skating.

vCash
    Wow, I'm amazed he could skate with torn ligaments in his ankles! I hope he gets sufficient support for both medical treatment AND to support his skating.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Here is an article on Michael with 2 videos and some nice photos:
    VIDEOS | 5 things we love about Michael Christian Martinez

vCash
    "The Philippine STAR is launching a fund-raising campaign for Filipino figure skater Michael Christian Martinez after his historic stint at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia ..."

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02...e-pinoy-skater

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast