Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    Martinez's clean 3A and also his fourth place at Junior Worlds, in a very strong field, likely helped his cause.

With that said, I admire Caluza, he has been very classy and respectful through the whole thing. Bulanghui should have followed his example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Has Martinez officially been declared the Olympic entrant then, regardless of Nats against Caluza?
    I think there is two reasons why Michael has been has been named before nationals

A. The main sponsor of the PSU is SM malls which owns the ice rinks in the country, and having a skater qualify for the Olympics draws more people to the sport which is good for business

B. So Michael will get enough attention and help him gain sponsorship and especially government support which as far as I know he doesn't get. Which is ridiculous for any country to have an Olympic athlete and not give him/her financial backing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twicken View Post
    I think there is two reasons why Michael has been has been named before nationals

A. The main sponsor of the PSU is SM malls which owns the ice rinks in the country, and having a skater qualify for the Olympics draws more people to the sport which is good for business
    I assume you mean "homegrown" skater. Do you know if Martinez plans to compete at PHI Nationals this weekend?

SM Skating also supports/sponsors Martinez re-posting these links from earlier in this thread: http://jeepneymanilaph.wordpress.com...hael-martinez/ and http://enjoyingwonderfulworld.blogsp...-filipino.html

The Philippine government's financial support of their Olympic athletes is probably not a priority right now, particularly in light of the recent hurricane disaster in the country.

ETA that @JessicaCalalang tweeted about a fundraiser organized by PHI international competitor Maverick Eguia who's currently based in southern California:
    Come help raise money to help those affected by Typhoon Haiyan! Friday, Nov. 22nd. 7-9pm at Anaheim Ice Arena! http://pic.twitter.com/1w8KRtqiIa
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-19-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Not all is well in the Men's competition either

When I read Caluza's tweet yesterday:

"Don't ever be afraid to lose. There is more respect to actually perform or attempt a task than to just win. It builds great character.Truth!
    "

I thought he meant he was sick and still competed anyways and he was just being proud of himself but actually it seems like a diss to Martinez who had withdrawn because of an inflamed tendons. Well Martinez' mom didn't take it lightly, she posted on her Facebook page which was shared to Martinez Facebook as well

"I apologize to all the friends of my son, Michael Martinez , who couldn't watch him in MOA yesterday because I forced him to withdraw from the competition. He really wanted to compete & perform for all of you even tho’ he was sick of asthma and had tendinitis. With asthma & swollen knee he attended all practices and pushed himself to the limit, EVEN THO’ HE HAS NOTHING MORE TO PROVE IN THE PHILIPPINES . AND, HE WAS NEVER AFRAID OF COMPETING AGAINST ANY SKATER as Mr. 23 years old is implying otherwise. Mr. 23, my young son is just a junior skater whom I rushed to be in Senior level because we have no more money to fund his skating until age 23 and beyond!! Mr. 23, why do you refuse to acknowledge that you had been skating for 16 years- In my son’s lifetime!!! With your 16 yrs of skating , you should be 1600% better than him ! He won his 3 Int’l Novice gold medals at 11 years old. He was an International junior skater at 13 years old , not a first-time old-aged Junior national competitor at 20! At 14, he competed in the First Youth Winter Olympic Games ! He won the first & only Senior Int’l Gold medal for the Phil. at 15 ! He was 3RD place in the Olympic Qualifying event at age 16 , not a 23-year old dead-bottom 34th place finisher!! My young son can still be in Junior level for the next 2 years & not an end-of-the-line skater who had to transfer federation as a short-cut just to go international, then criticize a sick & Injured home-grown skater ! So please cut the crap! For years I never used my FB & I’m sorry , but I can’t take it when my son is wrongly accused & criticized by his Phil. Teammates."

vCash
    Wow...
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Don't ever, ever mess with a Dragon Mom and her family.

I wouldn't want my mom to defend me in that manner.

vCash
    Oh snap! Mrs. Martinez is a feisty one, LOL. She had some valid points though and she was rightfully defending her son.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'm not sure what part of that you think was valid. she sounds like a lunatic.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i'm not sure what part of that you think was valid.
    The first two sentences?

But the rest should have been something like "I've seen comments suggesting that my son WD for other considerations and I can assure you that is not the case. He would never miss a competition without good reason. Michael's skating and record speak for themselves".

vCash

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'll make sure I never upset the Filipino cleaning lady we have at work.

vCash
    Stay classy, Mrs. Martinez.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    What is it with Filipino skaters and social media...

Honestly, has Caluza learned nothing from Bulanghui's twitter fail? Those comments were unnecessary and mean-spirited.

I have no clue what Martinez's health condition is and I highly doubt that Caluza does either, given Martinez's medical records aren't public notice. Martinez has already been selected for Olympics and he has had a successful season so far. He definitely has nothing to prove.

(For the record: I do think that Caluza is a unique skater with strong all-round skills and fantastic performance quality and it is a shame that there wasn't a direct head-to-head between the two skaters and that the selection process wasn't more transparent.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    The first two sentences?

But the rest should have been something like "I've seen comments suggesting that my son WD for other considerations and I can assure you that is not the case. He would never miss a competition without good reason. Michael's skating and record speak for themselves".
    This. Her hysteric, offensive rant was totally disproportionate. I feel sorry for Martinez but then he would probably never make it that far, given the limited resources available in the Philippines if she wasn't so crazy about his skating.

vCash
    Caluza' reply on twitter:

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    Lordy, if I'd grown up in the social media era and my Mom ever went online to "defend" teenage me like that, I'd die a thousand deaths from embarrassment.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I guess Caluza was discussing ideas, not people, when he tweeted about performing, etc. yesterday, but his timing in light of Martinez not skating was, at best, unfortunate.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 11-25-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Mrs. Martinez deserves her own emoticon.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Caluza also tweeted a few days ago that "Best thing about today is I was out there skating with respect. No matter how sick I was or if I'm injured, I did what a champion does!" and then he followed that with the Tweet that was posted yesterday. Now, I don't know if he was ever in a position that he had to decide whether to compete injured or not, but being a champion is about skating well and being gracious, not about competing while injured and sick.

I feel bad for Martinez, who probably just wants to skate and instead has to deal with Caluza's sniping and his own mother's over the top response.

vCash
    The PHI skating fed needs to sit their skaters down and go over social media and such. Establishing championship selection criteria/procedure wouldn't hurt either wonder if this is all part of being a newer skating fed. ?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast