Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    This makes it even more intriguing, never thought she would just not show up or that her federation wouldn't send her, hmmm.

Imho one should always let their skating do the talking, and keep one's mouth shut.

"silence is golden"

*ADMIN: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING COLOURED FONTS*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    It's going to be an interesting showdown between the two Phillipine entries in ladies at the Cup of Nice next month (especially after Melissa's twitter words this past weekend)!

http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/fi...rsNice2013.pdf
    I wonder whether the fed has the thinking of "Bulanhagui got married, she moved to Korea which isn't exactly a skating hotbed [Yu-Na excepted], so she's not really focused on skating, so let's not bother focusing on her"??
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    From Michael Martinez' Facebook:

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers.
    Thank you to the Philippine Skating Union for their continued support .
    Thank you to SM Prime Holdings for their financial support.
    Thank you to all my coaches in the U.S. & Philippines !
    It’s official, I will represent the country in the 2014 Winter Olympics
    In Sochi, Russia !

vCash
    Good for you twicken and the Phillipines, and most especially for Michael!

IIRC you were giving us all a glimpse inside Phillipine skating a while back. Good to see you were right.

vCash
    I really like Martinez, but it seems a bit strange that they've already picked him to go to Sochi ahead of Caluza even though Caluza beat him in their last three(?) meetings: US Classic, 4CCs, and I think the Philippine nationals. I would have thought they'd wait to see how nationals go.

Maybe part of it is that Martinez is six years younger and so they see it as an investment for the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I really like Martinez, but it seems a bit strange that they've already picked him to go to Sochi ahead of Caluza even though Caluza beat him in their last three(?) meetings: US Classic, 4CCs, and I think the Philippine nationals. I would have thought they'd wait to see how nationals go.

Maybe part of it is that Martinez is six years younger and so they see it as an investment for the future.
    Yes, and he has potential!!! Great for him and the Philippines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Why would the PHI federation risk it if they want Martinez to go to Sochi? It's the federation's prerogative to select whoever they want based on whatever criteria they have. Unfortunately, smaller federations often do not publish their selection rules and guidelines for all their athletes and world to see, and in this case, I wonder if the fed. notified Caluza of Martinez's official selection ahead of the publicizing of his Facebook post?

Of course this appears to be the most logical reason (having a consistent triple Axel is another), along with the fact that Martinez was born and grew up in the Philippines. Martinez is very talented and has a lot of potential to develop in the years ahead -- I wish him well in Sochi.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    definitely Fed preference here, Martinez is still very young and maybe they are marketing him as a future star for the Philppines
    not to be mean but maybe they think he has more international look and to be successful than Caluza ?

vCash
    "Pinoy figure skater training in US for 2014 Winter Olympics" (includes an embedded news video on Michael Christian Martinez): http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...inter-olympics
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Looks like Caluza is intent on continuing on to Pyeongchang (he'll be 27 in 2018)

From twitter this week:

Fool me once; nice attempt. Fool me twice; never again
    Never will I ever go down without a fight!!! Believe that, know that, TAKE THAT!!!!!

vCash
    Martinez just medalled at JGP Tallinn First ever for Phillippines
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 10-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the great news, siouxdonym! There's nothing like being out with family on a Friday evening and quickly checking my iPhone to see the latest news. Smile.

vCash
    New article entitled: Ice skating in the Philippines

Apologies, if a link has already been posted elsewhere

vCash
    Melissa Bulanhagui banned from Philippine Nationals: http://instagram.com/p/f5iyUVF4g9/

vCash
    Well this ended up ugly for her-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple View Post
    Melissa Bulanhagui banned from Philippine Nationals: http://instagram.com/p/f5iyUVF4g9/
    Wow. It's like the little notice we have to post outside every local competition saying Tonya Harding and a few other people are not permitted on the premises. As if they'd come to a local competition.

vCash
    "silence is golden"

vCash
    I was wondering about the Federations reaction towards her remarks. For her to think they wouldn't respond to her tantrum was naive; they've pulled any chance of her competing for them. Her remarks were childish and immature; she should've taken the high road publicly about it. What credentials is she referring to in her Instagram comments? Finishing 10th at nationals 6 years ago? She makes it seemed like she's just so much better than Pertichetto when in reality you can argue that Bulanhagui has underperformed her entire career.

vCash
    Yikes! I can see why she was upset about not getting a chance to directly prove herself against Alisson Perticheto, but she hasn't generally had results that are better than Alisson's since switching to represent PHI (her ISU PB scores are a little bit better but came 5-7 years ago when she was representing the U.S. and when there were more elements in both programs). Both had comparable free skate scores at minor international events that didn't count for SB. Her comments were very disrespectful toward Alisson as well as toward the federation's decision.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i wonder what she was told/promised or what she thought she was told/promised when she changed federations
    maybe nothing and she reacted very poorly
    but i have a feeling she was maybe promised or led to believe things would work out differently
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast