Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I'm sure that they do. Yet like many of the ISU smaller nations, there is tension between "native" skaters and ex-pat/American born but ethnically connected skaters, whether they are "helping" the federation vs. whether they are "taking spaces away" from "the locals" Christopher Caluza spoke about this specifically during an interview he did at the end of last season. Seems a tricky balance, very political, etc. Navigating it must be like walking through a land mine
    Alisson Perticheto isn't a "local." She was born in Europe, trains in Europe, and apparently has always lived in Europe.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013053.htm

vCash
    Which makes the whole situation even more

vCash
    My reply was not necessarily in response to the situation specific to Nebelhorn and the athlete selection, but agree that the actual scenario and backgrounds does make the whole situation even more "huh"? and speaks further to the notion that politics rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Alisson Perticheto isn't a "local." She was born in Europe, trains in Europe, and apparently has always lived in Europe.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013053.htm
    Correct. I hope that the reason for selecting Perticheto over Bulanhagui is simple economics, i.e., it's a lot cheaper for the Philippines Federation to send Perticheto to a neighboring country on a train (Switzerland to Germany) than it is to fly Bulanhagui halfway around the globe (Korea to Germany). Not-so-nice reasons for favoring Perticheto would be either (a) influence/pay-off by a wealthy Swiss family to get their daughter to the Olympics and/or (b) desire to send someone with a balletic/thin body type (Perticheto) instead of a more muscular-athletic type (Bulanhagui). I trust that it's neither of those reasons and that the fed simply wants to go the economic route. In the end, all that will be achieved at Nebelhorn would be to nab one Oly spot; after that, Perticheto, Bulanhagui and all other competitors need to skate for the right to represent Philippines in Sochi, presumably with the national champ earning the trip to Olys.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the Olympic spots earned at Nebelhorn are attached to the skaters that earned them rather than to the country. That being the case, if Pertchito earns the spot, she will go to Sochi; Bulanhagui will not be eligible.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    All Olympic spots, earned at 2013 Worlds or at Nebelhorn, belong to the ISU Member (country) and not to a specific skater.

vCash
    Thank you for the clarification--I had heard otherwise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Correct. I hope that the reason for selecting Perticheto over Bulanhagui is simple economics, i.e., it's a lot cheaper for the Philippines Federation to send Perticheto to a neighboring country on a train (Switzerland to Germany) than it is to fly Bulanhagui halfway around the globe (Korea to Germany). Not-so-nice reasons for favoring Perticheto would be either (a) influence/pay-off by a wealthy Swiss family to get their daughter to the Olympics and/or (b) desire to send someone with a balletic/thin body type (Perticheto) instead of a more muscular-athletic type (Bulanhagui). I trust that it's neither of those reasons and that the fed simply wants to go the economic route. In the end, all that will be achieved at Nebelhorn would be to nab one Oly spot; after that, Perticheto, Bulanhagui and all other competitors need to skate for the right to represent Philippines in Sochi, presumably with the national champ earning the trip to Olys.
    Does the Philippine federation pay skaters' travel/competition expenses? Some of the smaller federations don't.

vCash
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/09...over-phsu-snub
    Excerpts:
    MANILA – Filipino-American figure skater Melissa Bulanhagui is disappointed with the Philippine Skating Union’s (PhSU) not to pick her to represent the Philippines in the Nebelhorn Trophy 2014, which serves as a trial for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

The 23-year-old, who appeared on Wednesday’s episode of ANC's weekly sports program, Hardball, said the PhSU decided to send a junior champion to the competition in Germany, where she won bronze in 2010.
    Bulanhagui said she and her parents shouldered most of her expenses, including $2,000 for her training program, $2,000 for her skating equipment and some more for her travel and accommodations during international competitions.
    “I was blessed with two citizenships, they gave me the opportunity to represent my roots so I took that opportunity. I thought they would respect the athletes and pick the best athletes to go, but it seems that they didn't,” said Bulanhagui.

“I have so much love for the sport but if they disrespect the athletes like this, if they can do it to me, the more they can do it to the kids who spent so much time and effort.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-19-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Skate Guard interview with Melissa Bulanhagui (Sept. 18): http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013...ulanhagui.html

Christopher Caluza skated a clean SP (2A, 3Lo+3Lo, 3Lz) at Lombardia Trophy in Italy today and is in 2nd place (68.66 - may be a personal best score though it's not counted by ISU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKcG0m_Tqas

Results from the U.S. International FS Classic in Salt Lake City earlier this month:
    5 Christopher Caluza, PHI 6 (SP) 61.79 / 5 (FS) 123.54 / 185.33
    6 Michael Christian Martinez, PHI 7 (SP) 59.65 / 6 (FS) 123.39 / 183.04
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-22-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Was quite impressed with Christopher Caluza's performances at SLC (watched the event by video). There is a great deal of confidence and performance level energy which tends to be rare. At times he displayed a level of bravado with his upper body which reminded me a bit of Paul Wylie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Was quite impressed with Christopher Caluza's performances at SLC (watched the event by video). There is a great deal of confidence and performance level energy which tends to be rare. At times he displayed a level of bravado with his upper body which reminded me a bit of Paul Wylie.
    It's a shame that the judges continue to have zero guts and don't score PCS as it's supposed to be scored. Caluza might lack a quad and a triple axel and he doesn't have consistent triple-triple combinations but his PE/EX, CH and IN are one of the best you can see in skating. He easily deserves 7s if not 8s for those.

vCash
    Caluza won the silver medal at Lombardia Trophy in Italy today with a total score of 201.57! His FS (132.91): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjoVlZ_Q9r4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Caluza won the silver medal at Lombardia Trophy in Italy today with a total score of 201.57! His FS (132.91): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjoVlZ_Q9r4
    Wonderful! Caluza is one of those rare skaters who really feels the music and brings emotion to the equation. He can lift and carry a spectator's soul across the ice (for ex., at the 4:20 mark on the above tape). Oh, if only he had skated like this in the SP at last year's Worlds. I also like Martinez a lot but, IMO, Caluza is the true artiste among the two.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's a shame that the judges continue to have zero guts and don't score PCS as it's supposed to be scored. Caluza might lack a quad and a triple axel and he doesn't have consistent triple-triple combinations but his PE/EX, CH and IN are one of the best you can see in skating. He easily deserves 7s if not 8s for those.
    now that cassar is retired, caluza is my favorite american male skater
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I don't like this music choice for him but he seems to be skating with a lot of speed throughout and there is quite a lot of transitions. Most of the jumps are preceded by some connecting steps. Moves in the field and second step sequence are great. All the steps into the second 2axel - wonderful. Just so much WIN in that program.

vCash
    Now that the 1 Olympic spot has been officially earned, it'll be interesting to monitor Martinez's and Caluza's form in the weeks leading up to Philippine Nationals (Martinez has JGP Estonia in 2 weeks).

vCash
    It's going to be an interesting showdown between the two Phillipine entries in ladies at the Cup of Nice next month (especially after Melissa's twitter words this past weekend)!

http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/fi...rsNice2013.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    It's going to be an interesting showdown between the two Phillipine entries in ladies at the Cup of Nice next month (especially after Melissa's twitter words this past weekend)!

http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/fi...rsNice2013.pdf
    Is Melissa even bothering to skate for them anymore? What she did lacked class and maturity; no matter how disappointed you are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    Is Melissa even bothering to skate for them anymore? What she did lacked class and maturity; no matter how disappointed you are.
    Agree. I'd be surprised if she actually shows up and competes. She doesn't seem to be in the frame of mind to do so anymore and the Phils Fed probably sees her as a loose cannon at this point.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast