Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 324
  1. #41
    Brezina's Nemesis
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,779
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3507
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    By and large, the U.S. and Canadian skaters who skate for overseas federations fall into two categories.

    1. People with a close family connection to other countries. (Typically, their parents were immigrants.)
    2. People wishing to compete in ice dance or pairs with a skater from another country.
    First of all, I don't consider immigrant parents a "close family connection". Secondly, the problem as I see is not only with the US and Canada skaters, but with Russian and Japanese (to a lesser extent) if that makes you feel more comfortable.

    I'm also not very keen about Heeken-Kennedy skating for Ukraine or the three Reeds skating for 4 different countries en total, while living, training and having the family in the 5th. I understand when a talented skater from a small country looks for a partner in the Big Six because there's no one around, but this is obviously not the case when the search is the other way around. I can see the problem for Nora Hoffman, but you will have a hard time convincing me that it's the case for Dun.

    North American skaters in the first group often either have citizenship in the second country from birth or can obtain it as a matter of right.
    Having a citizenship does not automatically qualify you as a legitimate representative of a country (in my eyes, of course). I'm sure that the Azerbaijani citizenship is obtained also by right, that doesn't make the whole issue any less non-kosher.

    I would agree that having an "imported star" doesn't usually help develop skating in the new "home country," but that's largely because the skater usually doesn't actually stay there, train there, or coach younger skaters there. On the other hand, it simply isn't true that none of these skaters can communicate in the local language. Many immigrant families do speak their ancestral language at home.
    Some do, some don't. And as you quite rightly pointed out, that's not even the biggest problem - even if they do, that makes absolutely no effect on the development of the sport because they don't stay, train, coach or even visit their "home" country. I don't know whether the Reeds speak Japanese, but I can assure you that Allison doesn't speak neither Georgian nor Hebrew. And even if she did, it's ridiculous to claim that she contributes to the development of the skating in the corresponding countries simply by the fact of her existence.

    I'm also not sure that it is true that "every time a local skater appears, s/he gets replaced by a slightly better foreign import." With the current qualifying rules, the homegrown skaters usually cannot get into the ISU Championships any more. The one place one might expect to see the effect you are describing is on the Junior Grand Prix, but I am not sure that this is the case, and even if it is, there are Junior "B" events at which those skaters can compete.
    So what? A skater from Serbia who fails to qualify for the Europeans contributes million times more to the Serbian figure skating than a random Russian import who can't find Belgrade on the map. And to have any kind of ambition to continue training, one has to have the slightest hope of getting in to the major competitions (even if just to the qualification round), Junior "B" are just not enough; moreover, many federations simply don't have the money to send all their skaters to all the competitions, so they concentrate on one who is most likely to get to the Euros/4CC/Worlds/Olympics, withdrawing the funding from the others. Obviously, that's the problem of the federation's management and not of the "US number 58", but it doesn't mean that I have to like it or to accept it.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    Posts
    5,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34851
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    moreover, many federations simply don't have the money to send all their skaters to all the competitions, so they concentrate on one who is most likely to get to the Euros/4CC/Worlds/Olympics, withdrawing the funding from the others. Obviously, that's the problem of the federation's management and not of the "US number 58", but it doesn't mean that I have to like it or to accept it.
    Completely agree with this. This is especially worse when a marginally better import skater is repeatedly sent to Europeans instead of a local skater (who also met the tech min), but is slightly behind in terms of overall scores. IMO, this is less of an issue with 4CC since any country has up to 3 entries, as long as those skaters meet the min requirements.

    Back to Philippine skaters, Victoria Muniz had a very enjoyable SP back in 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IScd4_uWIjE

  3. #43

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,678
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Actually, Muniz represented Puerto Rico.

    Another excerpt from the Caluza interview): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Coming into Philippine nationals, I felt a sense of responsibility [to defend my title], but I also wanted to show my federation and the people that I do belong on the national team even though I'm American-Filipino.

    I was very determined at this year's nationals because I heard some people talk negatively about "Filipino foreigners," like myself, and how we can't "truly represent our country" and "don't deserve to compete," and that we "drop into the competition." I've heard that comment before and was aware of it before I competed for the Philippines, but when it was in the media, in a figure skating blog, blood started to boil among not only our group of "foreign" skaters but also my skating friends from the U.S.

    So I had a lot to prove at this year's nationals, and I completed my mission.

    I skated two senior B competitions, in Utah and in Graz, Austria, where I was close to gaining [the minimum qualifying score for worlds]. Before Four Continents, I learned I had qualified for worlds, based on my scores in Graz and from worlds last year, because the minimum decreased.

    My long program at Four Continents was one of the best I've ever done. I felt really emotional at the end because I put my heart out there. I wanted the audience to feel how I felt in that moment. I have never seen an audience that had people crying in the stands for me. I felt that I made a difference in this sport by bringing back something that was missing.
    [Sylvia edited in link to Caluza's 4CC FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMjJgodB-Y ]

    (Editor's note: Prior to Four Continents, the Philippine federation declared that whoever out of Caluza and Michael Christian Martinez placed higher at Four Continents would go to worlds. Martinez and Caluza were 14th and 16th, respectively, after the short, but Caluza's career-best free skate lifted him to a 14th-place finish, while Martinez ended up 16th.)
    Martinez was born in the Philippines and I believe he still trains there, with occasional trips to the USA for choreography and coaching in California. I don't know if it's been decided by the federation whether Caluza or Martinez (coming off his strong 5th place finish at Junior Worlds) will go to Nebelhorn Trophy.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-22-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    175
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Back to Philippine skaters, Victoria Muniz had a very enjoyable SP back in 2012
    Victoria Muniz skates for Puerto Rico, not The Philippines. (...and how does one become a citizen of a territory such as Puerto Rico? The residents are citizens of the U.S.)

    ETA: Sylvia beat me to it.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,610
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2138
    I don't know Chris' work well enough so I can't comment. Michael, for a fairly young skater, seems to perform pretty well under pressure. I hope that is something that will benefit the Philippines team.

  6. #46
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Having a citizenship does not automatically qualify you as a legitimate representative of a country (in my eyes, of course). I'm sure that the Azerbaijani citizenship is obtained also by right, that doesn't make the whole issue any less non-kosher.
    Then it's a good thing that there are objective rules about this, not determinations based on feeling. There's also language in Rule 109 that gives the ISU the right to reject skaters where they feel the Federation has been shopping.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cerro Torre
    Posts
    3,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    First of all, I don't consider immigrant parents a "close family connection".
    Okay, I'll bite. What do you consider a "close family connection"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    First of all, I don't consider immigrant parents a "close family connection". Secondly, the problem as I see is not only with the US and Canada skaters, but with Russian and Japanese (to a lesser extent) if that makes you feel more comfortable.
    You originally said that you had a problem with skaters from the U.S. skating for other countries at 4CC's because they couldn't qualify to represent the U.S. I threw in Canada because the situation of skaters from that country is not very different. The situation with respect to skaters from Russia and Japan is very different, so, no, your changing the subject does not make me feel more comfortable. It only indicates that you cannot support your original argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    I'm also not very keen about Heeken-Kennedy skating for Ukraine or the three Reeds skating for 4 different countries en total, while living, training and having the family in the 5th.
    I don't know the specifics of how Siobhan Heekin-Kennedy came to skate for Ukraine, but the fact that there were other female skaters in that country doesn't necessarily mean they would have been suitable partners. Just read through all of the threads here about the problems Caitlin Yanowskas, Jana Khokhlova, and Rockne Brubaker have had in finding suitable partners. And Russia and the U.S. have far larger pools of potential pair and ice dance partners the Ukraine does.

    Chris and Cathy Reed have either had or been entitled to Japanese citizenship since birth. And Japan didn't have any ice dance teams when that team switch federations.

    As for Allison Reed, can you name any suitable Georgian or Israeli-born ice dancer who would have been a more suitable partner for Otar Japaridze or Vasili Rogov?

    (I'm not sure how you come up with five countries. My my count, it's four: the U.S., Japan, Georgia, and Israel.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Having a citizenship does not automatically qualify you as a legitimate representative of a country (in my eyes, of course). I'm sure that the Azerbaijani citizenship is obtained also by right, that doesn't make the whole issue any less non-kosher.
    Citizenship is good enough for the ISU and not necessary for the ISU. Deal with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    So what? A skater from Serbia who fails to qualify for the Europeans contributes million times more to the Serbian figure skating than a random Russian import who can't find Belgrade on the map. And to have any kind of ambition to continue training, one has to have the slightest hope of getting in to the major competitions (even if just to the qualification round), Junior "B" are just not enough; moreover, many federations simply don't have the money to send all their skaters to all the competitions, so they concentrate on one who is most likely to get to the Euros/4CC/Worlds/Olympics, withdrawing the funding from the others. Obviously, that's the problem of the federation's management and not of the "US number 58", but it doesn't mean that I have to like it or to accept it.
    Unless you can show me specific examples of how, under the current rules, any singles skater from the U.S. or Canada actually took away opportunities from another federation's skater by switching to that federation, I don't think there's any way to make a meaningful response to this. I do know, however, that many of the skaters from "smaller" federations such as, say, Mexico and Singapore, belong to wealthy families or otherwise find the financing to go to Junior (and Senior "B's" abroad. Just look at the results pages for such competitions and you will see that this is so.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    Posts
    5,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34851
    I really do know the difference between Puerto Rico and the Philippines . Thank you for correcting that. Melissa Bulanhagui who skates for the Philippines is a former US competitor, as well.

    Is the mall rink in the Philippines open year-round? I didn't realize Martinez spent a good portion of the season training at home, but good for him for figuring out a training schedule that works.

    http://www.smiceskating.com/

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3200
    I'm wondering who those skaters from Azerbaijan are who are not getting opportunities because of the foreign skaters taking them away.

  10. #50
    Brezina's Nemesis
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,779
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3507
    He-he
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. What do you consider a "close family connection"?
    Having the family in the country and visiting it often.
    Both my parents were born in Georgia, but I don't carry the Georgian culture, don't speak the language and haven't been in the country for 25 years. I don't feel I'm qualified to represent Georgia in ANYTHING (even though I still know about its culture and language more than Allison Reed). Fair enough?
    You originally said that you had a problem with skaters from the U.S. skating for other countries at 4CC's because they couldn't qualify to represent the U.S. I threw in Canada because the situation of skaters from that country is not very different. The situation with respect to skaters from Russia and Japan is very different, so, no, your changing the subject does not make me feel more comfortable. It only indicates that you cannot support your original argument.
    My problem is with skaters from a Big Six country representing a small country to which they have a rather empirical connection. I don't see any difference between US, Canada or Russia on this issue, US was mentioned specifically because the original thread talked about a Philippines skater who lives and trains in US (and IIRC was also born there, but whatever; I'm willing to accept that he's "the good one"). The fact that for you there's a difference between US/Canada and Russia just because you care for the former, but not for the latter, makes no interest to me. I don't care whether it's Morgan Matthews or Zlobina/Sitnikov who represent Azerbaijan, neither of them is Azerbaijani. I also don't care if it's 4CC or Europeans that get those "tourists" - for me there's no difference. Were I clear, or are we going to continue with the stupid game of "you cannot support your original argument"?

    Saying that, I don't automatically reject the idea of country changing. In some cases it might be a positive thing, depending on the way it's done. However, in many cases it's clearly unsuccessful (mostly American ladies and post-Soviet dancers) skaters who couldn't make it out of their national competitions and were looking for a different (any) flag.

    I don't know the specifics of how Siobhan Heekin-Kennedy came to skate for Ukraine, but the fact that there were other female skaters in that country doesn't necessarily mean they would have been suitable partners. Just read through all of the threads here about the problems Caitlin Yanowskas, Jana Khokhlova, and Rockne Brubaker have had in finding suitable partners. And Russia and the U.S. have far larger pools of potential pair and ice dance partners the Ukraine does.
    Ok, no problem, you can continue enjoying watching Heekin-Kennedy skating to gopak or whatever. Obviously, you don't have to take my word for anything.

    Chris and Cathy Reed have either had or been entitled to Japanese citizenship since birth. And Japan didn't have any ice dance teams when that team switch federations.
    As for Allison Reed, can you name any suitable Georgian or Israeli-born ice dancer who would have been a more suitable partner for Otar Japaridze or Vasili Rogov?
    First of all, I have no idea who told you that Japan didn't have any ice-dance couples; there were more than one for that matter. But I'm quite fine with the Japanese Reeds, I just find the claim about the "legitimate countries switch" very amusing when siblings represent different countries, none of which is the one where they live.
    Second of all, I'm not closely familiar with the Georgian federation, but I know the Israeli one quite well. And yes, this is a classic example of "a slightly better import that kills the local skating".
    Citizenship is good enough for the ISU and not necessary for the ISU. Deal with it.
    Oh, I'm quite fine with the rules and don't call to change them or whatever. But that shouldn't prevent me from having the right of disliking it when those rules are abused and harm the sport.

    Unless you can show me specific examples of how, under the current rules, any singles skater from the U.S. or Canada actually took away opportunities from another federation's skater by switching to that federation, I don't think there's any way to make a meaningful response to this. I do know, however, that many of the skaters from "smaller" federations such as, say, Mexico and Singapore, belong to wealthy families or otherwise find the financing to go to Junior (and Senior "B's" abroad. Just look at the results pages for such competitions and you will see that this is so.
    He-he.

    I'm pretty sure that the posters from the smaller countries can back me on this, even based on the little I know about how things are done in Ukraine, Hungary and the likes; but if you don't believe in life outside of NA, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Specifically, US imports with all the credible connections, citizenship and the rest killed Israeli figure skating that used to be quite well developed considering. US girls, struggling with triple toeloops were brought to represent Israel in front of the Israeli girls struggling with double axels since the mid 2000s on all the levels, including novice and juniors. Now there's no Israeli figure skating, ok? None, it simply doesn't exist anymore. This is year is the first year that Nationals have been held since 2008 or so, given that once Israel was figure skating nation number 4 in Europe. Krasnapolski and Rogov (after his partner has been successfully replaced by another US import) are the last ones.

    Of course, that is not the skaters fault but the fault of the federation head that has very little interest in developing the sport as long as his daughter gets a ticket to the championships; but it doesn't make me feel any better.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

  11. #51
    Brezina's Nemesis
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,779
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3507
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I'm wondering who those skaters from Azerbaijan are who are not getting opportunities because of the foreign skaters taking them away.
    Know what? You will never even find out, because they will never get the chance to fail to qualify in an ISU championships.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3200
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Know what? You will never even find out, because they will never get the chance to fail to qualify in an ISU championships.
    I totally see your point, Andrey. It does seem a little weird when some of those skaters have little or no connection to the country they skate for. But some do. And shouldn't it be the responsibility of the federations of those countries to develop skating within the country?

  13. #53
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I do know, however, that many of the skaters from "smaller" federations such as, say, Mexico and Singapore, belong to wealthy families or otherwise find the financing to go to Junior (and Senior "B's" abroad. Just look at the results pages for such competitions and you will see that this is so.
    Last season, in ISU competition, Michelle QUINTERO and Aislin ROSADO competed at JGP and Reyna Hamui and Pilar MAEKAWA / Leonardo MAEKAWA competed at Four Continents for Mexico. In Junior and Senior B's, Hamui, for example, competed in Golden Spin, Helmlmut Siebt Memorial, Nebelhorn, New Year's Cup, NRW Trophy, Ondrej Nepala, and Volvo Cup in addition to 4C's, presumably in an attempt to meet the Worlds TES minimums. (She may have met the 4C's minimums in the 2011-12 season season; she met them them early in 2012-13 at Nebelhorn.) As a 4C's skater, she was an outlier, with no other skater/team from Mexico competing in more than two international events. Hamui was born in Mexico City: her family moved to the US when she was ten for their training. If she's not Mexican, then Tugba Karademir isn't Turkish.

    There were two senior Ladies who competed for Singapore last season at internationals, Ceciliane Mei Ling Hartmann, born in Singapore and whose hometown is listed as Lichtenstein, and Kai-Jing Leong, who was born and lives in Canada. Hong Kong, and Taipei were the usual suspects for having lots of North American born skaters at 4C's.

    Last season, representing Hong Kong:
    • Born in Hong Kong: Sumika Yamada (2 Sr. B's), PuiLam Yuen (1 Jr. int'l), Tsz Ying Crystal Chik (2 Jr. int'ls), Harry Hau Yin Lee (1 Jr. int'l, 1 JGP), Ronald Lam (competed for Canada until 2010, 5 Sr. B's and Worlds), Lap Kan Yuen (1 JGP, 1 Jr. int'l),
    • Born in North America: Tiffany Packard Yu (US, 3 Sr. B's), Wayne Wing Yin Chung (Canada, 1 JGP, 1 Jr. int'l)
    • Can't find bio or info not in bio: Marin Ono (3 Jr. int'ls), Yong Yeu Tiffany Lau (2 Jr. int'ls), Kwun Hung Leung (1 Jr. int'l)


    Last season, representing Thailand:

    • Born in Thailand: Mimi Tanasorn Chindasook (6 Sr. B's), Promsan Rattanadilok Na Phuket (2 Jr. B's), Suchet Kongchim (1 JGP, 1 Sr. B.)
    • Born in North America: Melanie Swang (1 JGP, 2 Jr. int'ls)


    Last season, representing Taipei:

    • Born in Taipei: Chih-I Tsao (3 Jr. int'ls, 2 JGP's, Jr. Worlds), Jui-Shu Chen (1 JGP), Wun-Chang Shih (1 Sr. B)
    • Born in North America: Chaochih Liu (USA, 3 Sr. B's), Corinna Lijun Lin (USA, 2 Jr. int'ls), Crystal Kiang (USA, 5 Sr. B's, 4C's), Jiajen Hsieh (USA, 1 Sr. B), Melinda Wang (USA, 2 Sr. B's, 4C's), Charles Shou-San Pao (USA, 1 Sr. B), Jordan Ju (Canada, 1 Jr. int'l, 2 JGP, 4C's),
    • Can't find bio/info not in bio: Alison Shu Yu Chow (2 Jr. int'l, 1 Sr. B), An Ni Hsu (1 Jr. int'l), Lena Wu (1 JGP, 1 Jr. int'l), Levana Wu (1 JGP, 1 Jr. int'l), Li Hsueh Lin (1 JGP, 1 Jr. int'l), Melanie Yuung-Hui Chang (1 Jr. int'l), Pei-Xuan Lu (1 Sr. B), Hung-Wun Tony Tien (1 Sr. B), Meng Ju Lee (2 Jr. int'ls)


    Almost all competed at Asian FS Trophy.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cerro Torre
    Posts
    3,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Entire post
    This pretty much sums up the cavalier attitude of many foreigners to Americans and American culture. I find it especially true of foreigners who have not spent much (or, indeed, any) time in the United States.

    The United States and Canada -- like Israel, in fact -- has a large number of first and second generation residents, whose connection to their country of origin is quite varied. I have known many people who grew up speaking a language other than English at home and/or who spent a substantial amount of time back in the old country. Japan does not have a very big immigrant population, and Russia's immigrant population islargely from the "Near Abroad." So there is a meaningful cultural difference between a Taiwanese-American skater who grew up speaking Mandarin and visiting relatives in Taiwan and ultimately skates for Taiwan and a female Japanese pair skater who went to the U.S., Canada, or Russia because she couldn't find a suitable partner in Japan.

    In almost every IOC sport, there is at least one federation that provides a flag of convenience, and in figure skating, it has been Azerbaijan above all others. But almost all of the skaters who have represented Azerbaijan have been from the Former Soviet Union, specifically Russia. As far as I can recall, the only American who actually competed for Azerbaijan was an ice dancer whose partner was, in fact, Russian.

    I don't know all that much about the Israeli Federation, but I do recall that Michael Shmerkin, Natalia Gudina, and Andrei Beletski were all born in Odessa and trained in the United States and Roman Serov and Sergei Sakhnovski was born in Moscow and trained in the United States (and Sakhnovski wasn't even chalachically Jewish). Did you have a problem with any of that?

    You seem to want a world in which no one moves from one country to another for career reasons and a sport in which national federations can inevitably override ice dancers and pair skaters' partnership preferences. That isn't realistic or, when you get right down to it, desirable.

    For what it's worth, I have lived outside of North America, and I suspect I have done so for far longer than you have lived anywhere other than the Former Soviet Union and Israel.

  15. #55
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,416
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    26080
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    For what it's worth, I have lived outside of North America, and I suspect I have done so for far longer than you have lived anywhere other than the Former Soviet Union and Israel.
    Not long enough to get over your obsession with boobs and private parts though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8021
    Close family ties: I would expect almost anyone who has to parents who immigrated from the same country to know the language of thei parents, go back and visit grandparents and uncles etc, in this day and age.

    I am assuming both Caluza and Bulanhagui has visited family there - without knowing, this would be my initial assumption.

    I know that for my kid, I do my best to talk Danish, have him Skype with grandparent and cousins, go back, do culturally Danish things, have Danish toys, children's books and videos etc, etc so that even growing up here in the US he will be connected to Danish culture (and should he ever want to do an Olympic sport, yes he will probably be better off representing Denmark in most of them. Though maybe he will pick badminton )

    I think it is strange to assume that people don't have any connection to their parent's country, afaik both the Shibutnis and the Reeds speak Japanese.

    I find it different when a single skater switches to a country they have very little connection to, but that doesn't seem to be happening that often.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

  17. #57
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,814
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12834
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Close family ties: I would expect almost anyone who has to parents who immigrated from the same country to know the language of thei parents, go back and visit grandparents and uncles etc, in this day and age.
    It varies wildly, in my experience (in the US). Some immigrant parents speak the language to their kids at home, observe many cultural traditions, are very involved in the local ethnic communities, and bring their children to their home country for lengthy visits every summer. Other parents want their kids to become Americanized as quickly as possible so they will feel assimilated, and they avoid speaking their native tongue at home because they want their kids to learn English, try to get their kids involved in more traditional American pastimes, and do not or cannot afford to go to their home country for visits.

  18. #58
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Sometimes kids refuse to learn the language. Sometimes the parents have such bad associations with the language and country that they don't try to teach their kids. Then there are situations where people can't go back.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  19. #59

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,678
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I am assuming both Caluza and Bulanhagui has visited family there - without knowing, this would be my initial assumption.
    Yes, they both have.

    Re-posting from Caluza's interview:
    My long program at Four Continents was one of the best I've ever done. I felt really emotional at the end because I put my heart out there. I wanted the audience to feel how I felt in that moment. I have never seen an audience that had people crying in the stands for me. I felt that I made a difference in this sport by bringing back something that was missing.
    Link to Caluza's 2013 4CC FS (128.26 is his ISU personal best FS score) to Andre Mathieu's "Concerto de Quebec": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMjJgodB-Y
    Caluza's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013313.htm

    These blogs seem to indicate that Michael Christian Martinez will represent the Philippines at 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy:
    http://jeepneymanilaph.wordpress.com...hael-martinez/
    http://enjoyingwonderfulworld.blogsp...-filipino.html
    Michael Martinez, Philippines' first representative in the Winter Youth Olympics, as he vies in the 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy, a qualifying event for the 2014 Olympiad in Sochi, Russia.

    Michael Martinez, considered as the youngest and most accomplished senior level skater from the Philippines, having collection a total of 194 medals and trophies since 2005.

    Martinez, who enjoys a rank of 19th in the International Skating Union (ISU) Season’s Best World Rankings, primes up for rigorous training abroad in his determined effort to nail one of six berths to Sochi to be disputed in the Sept. 25-28 Nelbelhorn tourney in Oberstdorf, Germany.

    He began skating in 2005 at a shopping mall ice rink. He trains mainly in Manila, and also spends several months a year in California with coaches Ilia Kulik, John Nicks and Peter Kongkasem.

    Martinez debuted on the Junior Grand Prix series in the 2010–2011 season. He won his first senior international title, also a first for the Philippines

    "Now that I deserve to represent the Philippines in the 2014 Olympic Games, this meant that I would have to train more and harder. It also entails a lot of sacrifice and hard work on my part, and more expenses for more lessons, not to mention the sacrifice by my family in terms of time and finances," Martinez said.

    “Ice skating is really expensive so this will be a big help to pay for coaches, ice time,” said Martinez. He shared to us that he regularly spends about $100 per hour for the services of his coach alone.

    This 16-year-old recent high school graduate is looking forward to become the first Filipino Winter Olympian.

    “I’ll try my best to make it to the Olympics,” he added.

    Seeing the potential of Martinez, a home-grown talent, SM Ice Skating took the lead in supporting his endeavors and will upkeep his tournaments as the young achiever continues to give glory to the country.
    Martinez's 2013 Junior Worlds FS (124.63 is his ISU PB FS score) to Lecuona's "Malaguena": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lprV9bnBufY
    All of his ISU personal best scores were set at Junior Worlds this year - his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012802.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,428
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    These blogs seem to indicate that Michael Christian Martinez will represent the Philippines at 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy:
    Even if Martinez earns the spot for Sochi, is it possible that 4 Continents will be used (just as was done for the Senior Worlds this year) to see who actually goes? Or will they use Nationals results in the late fall/early winter?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •