Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Thanks everyone. As I kind of wondered if after being a Skater herself if she might also be coaching. BTW. I'm surprised she had a stroke and that she's lost her memory. As your not surposed to have one at 54. Someone 80 is surposed to. BTW. what do we know about her kids? Are there any old 1974 Skating photos of when she skated?
    Strokes can happen to anyone at any age. Even kids can have strokes. A relation of mine had a full blown stroke at the age of 22 after losing a baby to pre-eclampsia (can't spell that). She could have died but had to go through learning to do everything again.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Love the photo with her kids! They all look very happy.

vCash
    I think it is amazing that someone who didn't qualify for nationals was able to go one and have a pro career. oh the old days..

vCash
    Thanks for sharing those articles Sylvia! I've always loved that movie. The last line about Johnson's brother being a pilot whose usual shift is a 10 hour flight to Brazil was chilling! I'm so glad they're both okay now.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I think it is amazing that someone who didn't qualify for nationals was able to go one and have a pro career. oh the old days..
    She's probably a bit of an exception...being in the movie might have given her more of a pro career that the usual novice ladies' silver medalist.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    She was one of the four female leads in the 1984 R-rated movie Spring Break -- she was on a mission in Fort Lauderdale to find her "Conan" to get laid.

It saddens me that I can remember total random, worthless crap like this right off the top of my head, but cannot remember for the life of me where my keys are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    She's probably a bit of an exception...being in the movie might have given her more of a pro career that the usual novice ladies' silver medalist.
    As I understand it, she had a pro career before she was in the movie:

So, in 1977, she decided to join Ice Capades, where she had two solos and a pair routine with David Kirby, the son of her first coaches, Michael and Norah Kirby. Halfway through that first season on tour, she auditioned for Ice Castles and won the role of Alexis "Lexie" Winston.
    Not everyone who skates in shows like Ice Capades, especially those who just skate in the ensemble, has qualified for Nationals. The fact that Johnson had solos might reflect that she was one of the better skaters in the company -- and/or it might reflect her stage performing experience. And she had qualified for Nationals, at novice level anyway.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Thanks, gkelly, I had understood that her pro career came after the movie.
    According to some of the former Ice Capades skaters that manleywoman has interviewed, it wasn't unknown for skaters without national titles to get solo spots in the shows, or to become principal skaters - if they auditioned and were chosen (see Ray Belmonte's comments in this podcast: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-4...eunion-part-1/)
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Here's a bit more information:
    http://figureskating.about.com/od/fa.../lynnholly.htm

Until Ice Castles was made, most figure skating movies did not include excellent skating. Lynn-Holly Johnson did most of the skating in Ice Castles and the skating was of very high quality.
    Much of the film took place at the famous Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Local skaters, coaches, officials, and parents had roles in the film.
    A friend of mine, and her family, were extras in the movie.

vCash
    The skating in Ice Castles was really good. I think regardless of the editing, you could see that Johnson was a really beautiful skater. And every time I hear that song it brings a tear to my eyes.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I wonder if either of her kids skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Wasn't she some sort of trampoline competitor in that or something?
    m Actually a figure skater who had a crush on Mr Bond. She was very cute in the movie.

vCash
    Her name came up on The Tonight Show last night. Jay Leno was quizzing Halle Berry about past Bond girls. The question was, "Lynn Holly Johnson was a Bond girl. In what sport did she compete?" Halle got the answer correct.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    m Actually a figure skater who had a crush on Mr Bond. She was very cute in the movie.
    She was the protegee of one of the villains in the movie; and I remember that her coach was the stereotypical, mean, serious Jutta Muller type, LOL. And at the end of the movie, she was charming someone else (rich) who helped Bond, and he commented that she had likely found a new benefactor...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I think it is amazing that someone who didn't qualify for nationals was able to go one and have a pro career.
    She was a National medalist; only not as a Senior competitor.
    Her competitive career ended because of injury.

vCash
    She was also in "The Watcher in the Woods." Loved that film as a kid!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I think it is amazing that someone who didn't qualify for nationals was able to go one and have a pro career.
    There were many, especially since the skills necessary to have a pro career were not the same as those necessary for competition, particularly in the compulsory figures era.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesalchows View Post
    She was also in "The Watcher in the Woods." Loved that film as a kid!
    Oh, right that was her! I loved that movie, except for how it just kind of ended. Then on the DVD I saw the original ending that they scrapped because the effects weren't good enough. It could have made even less sense.

vCash
    I have not seen Watcher in the Woods, but I read Betty Davis complained Lynn Holly Johnson was a bad actress. Apparently Betty Davis had someone else in mind for the role, but did not get her way. Was it sour grapes?

vCash
    Bette Davis was a brilliant actress and also one of the biggest PIA egomonsters in the history of film. Watcher in the Woods came at the end of her career where she basically was hired for her name, not talent. Lynn Holly was lucky to get out unscathed by the wrath of Queen Bitch Davis (and please understand, I adore Bette for many of her movies).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12