Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lynn Holly Johnson

Hey,I'm sure you we all know her as the Girl who protrayed the Skater in Ice-Castles. But I also just read that she was the 1974 Novice Ladies Silver Medalist. Does anyone know what she's doing now? Does she still Skate?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I Googled her name and discovered she had a stroke in January 2010 - here's a two-part article about her in February 2013:

Part 1: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...lynn-life.html
    "I got in and out of the movie business safely," said Johnson, who is now a full-time mom living in Newport Beach [California] with her husband, Kelly Givens, and her children, Kellen and Jensie.
    Part 2: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...nn-stroke.html
    Today, she still has difficulty with her memory. And long conversations are "like running a marathon." But she also says she's "walking and talking, which is good."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-08-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I Googled her name and discovered she had a stroke in January 2010 - here's a two-part article about her in February 2013:

Part 1: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...lynn-life.html

Part 2: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...nn-stroke.html

It sure sounds like she lived through everything very well. I did know she had kids. BTW. how did a Stroke efect her memory? Does she still Skate? Or was 1974 her last Competition? Do we have a competitive Record for her?

vCash
    Wasn't she also in the James Bond movie "For Your Eyes Only"?

vCash
    Thanks sooooo much for the links. She just looks exactly like herself (if you know what I mean).

I knew she was a skater. The article references an accident that sidelined her skating career. Anyone know what happened?

OH - she trained with John Nicks!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Thanks for the links to those articles. Very interesting.

I had read somewhere else that she had trained to be either a nurse or doctor - something in the medical profession.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    She was one of the four female leads in the 1984 R-rated movie Spring Break -- she was on a mission in Fort Lauderdale to find her "Conan" to get laid.

It saddens me that I can remember total random, worthless crap like this right off the top of my head, but cannot remember for the life of me where my keys are.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    Wasn't she some sort of trampoline competitor in that or something?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    She was one of the four female leads in the 1984 R-rated movie Spring Break -- she was on a mission in Fort Lauderdale to find her "Conan" to get laid.
    Actually the movie was called Where the Boys Are. (It was a remake and it stunk.)
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    BTW. how did a Stroke efect her memory?
    A stroke is a blood clot, or a bleeding event, in the brain. The brain has limited room for extra things in it, for sure! So either of those events, depending on what part of the brain it happens in, can cause memory issues, speech problems, problems with movement on one side or the other (or sometimes both), swallowing difficulties, and basically problems with anything that is controlled by the brain (which is generally all body functions). Again, it depends on how severe it is, and what part of the brain it happens in.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    No she was a skater in the Bond film. However there was a scene where she was practising on a trampoline.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    As others have said, she was a skater in the bond film. she tried to seduce bond, with little results.

vCash
    Doesn't he buy her ice cream and then tells her to go back to her hotel room?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I think he just tells her to get dressed and go back to her own room. Even James Bond has standards....(That and he was practically old enough to be her grandfather...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Say,how old is she now anyway? Knowing that she was a Skater in real life. Is she still conneccted with Skating in any way too? Are there any old photos from when she Skated?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Johnson is 54 years old now. There is no mention of her being connected to skating now that I can find online.

From this April 2009 article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    In 1974, she placed second in novice ladies at the U.S. Championships and won the free skate, but an injury kept her off the ice for the next year. She moved to Los Angeles to train with John Nicks and Gary Visconti, but she was unsuccessful in qualifying for nationals. So, in 1977, she decided to join Ice Capades, where she had two solos and a pair routine with David Kirby, the son of her first coaches, Michael and Norah Kirby. Halfway through that first season on tour, she auditioned for Ice Castles and won the role of Alexis "Lexie" Winston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I had read somewhere else that she had trained to be either a nurse or doctor - something in the medical profession.
    You're right - found this biography: http://alumni.saddleback.edu/s/1343/...gid=1&pgid=333
    Johnson attended Saddleback College in 1990 to 1994, majoring in nursing maintaining an impressive 3.7 GPA.

While at Saddleback College, Johnson realized she wanted to be a physician's assistant thanks to the encouragement and inspiration of her chemistry instructor, Dr. Richard McCullough. Unable to completely pursue her dream of medicine due to an acting career, Johnson began volunteering when she could. When on location, Johnson would work with a branch of Doctors Without Borders, to assist the isolated communities that she sometimes worked in.

Her medical missions included traveling to remote parts of Mexico and Guatemala. "U.S. doctors took me under their wing so that I too could help these people, some of whom had never seen a doctor in their entire life. I was taught and they allowed me to do sutures and incisions, in addition to cleaning and re-dressing surgery sites," Johnson shared.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-08-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    FSWer, thanks for asking this question, I always wondered what happened to Lynn. The last time I saw her mentioned was in a FS magazine where a fan asked for an article about her and the editor's snarky reply was that they covered skaters, not actresses who happened to skate...

As a doc who has lectured on this topic to scuba divers (PFO can be problematic in divers), I want to emphasize that most people with PFO do not have strokes, don't need them repaired and live normal lives. Lynn's case wa an inherited disorder that was more serious than most. Glad to hear she is doing pretty well.

vCash
    The prevalence of PFO is about 25 percent in the general population. In patients who have stroke of unknown cause (cryptogenic stroke), the prevalence of PFO increases to about 40 percent. This is especially true in patients who have had a stroke at age less than 55 years.

vCash
    Some months ago, I watched a direct to video remake of Ice Castles starring Taylor Firth and there was in interview with Lynn Holly Johnson in the "extras" on the DVD. It seemed from the interview that she had somehow been involved in the remake. Was not a bad remake by the way and Michelle Kwan has a part as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    FSWer, thanks for asking this question, I always wondered what happened to Lynn. The last time I saw her mentioned was in a FS magazine where a fan asked for an article about her and the editor's snarky reply was that they covered skaters, not actresses who happened to skate...

As a doc who has lectured on this topic to scuba divers (PFO can be problematic in divers), I want to emphasize that most people with PFO do not have strokes, don't need them repaired and live normal lives. Lynn's case wa an inherited disorder that was more serious than most. Glad to hear she is doing pretty well.
    Thanks everyone. As I kind of wondered if after being a Skater herself if she might also be coaching. BTW. I'm surprised she had a stroke and that she's lost her memory. As your not surposed to have one at 54. Someone 80 is surposed to. BTW. what do we know about her kids? Are there any old 1974 Skating photos of when she skated?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast