Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Congrats to Chelsea but my heart breaks for Benfica...

vCash
    Honestly I am a bit in shock that Chelsea won. I thought Benfica looked stronger and in the end they lost in a cruel way. It was a good match. Highlight: Benfica supporters.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    David Beckham is retiring from professional football at the end of this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22558393

David Beckham is to retire from football at the end of this season after an illustrious 20-year career.

The former England captain made 115 appearances for his country and 394 for Manchester United, winning six Premier League titles and the Champions League.

Beckham, 38, signed a five-month deal at Paris St-Germain in January.

"I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level," he said.
    It will be a bit strange without him, even though he spent a lot of his career abroad. Although not terribly articulate , he was and hopefully will continue to be a great ambassador for the game.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    MLS #20 will be NYC2, New York City Football Club (NYCFC) owned by Manchester City and.......The New York Yankees!....... The perfect combination for a team to be totally hated everywhere but NYC....

NJL (a quick perusal of Facebook and Big Soccer makes me think that this may be the most unpopular team announcement in the history of sport... ...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    MLS #20 will be NYC2, New York City Football Club (NYCFC) owned by Manchester City and.......The New York Yankees!....... The perfect combination for a team to be totally hated everywhere but NYC....

NJL (a quick perusal of Facebook and Big Soccer makes me think that this may be the most unpopular team announcement in the history of sport... ...)
    Ha! I hadn't thought of it like that, but you are 100% correct. Heck, I hate them already and they haven't even played a game yet.

BTW, curiously they've tread lightly on the subject of a stadium. MLS is pretty sticky about letting new teams come into the league without a place to play, funny how that's not the case here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Ha! I hadn't thought of it like that, but you are 100% correct. Heck, I hate them already and they haven't even played a game yet.

BTW, curiously they've tread lightly on the subject of a stadium. MLS is pretty sticky about letting new teams come into the league without a place to play, funny how that's not the case here.
    There will be one. The Yankees will bulldoze it through for them. Someone on BS posted the idea that it should be at the location of the old Yankee Stadium. For some reason I like that idea.

NJL

ETA: Since Mr Beckham has retired and Grant Wahl has said on Fox Soccer that David is looking towards Miami to use his ownership option the usual crazies down here have been surprisingly muted. Since it now seems possible that their dreams will come true the harsh realities have set in: who'll be with him? Where will they play? How will they get their own SSS if they can't get Gov't money to build it & where to build it? Which City/County would be best? Should it be a predominantly Hispanic for Miami-Dade or a more diverse team for the South Florida tri-County metro area? And on and on.

For the rest of us we ask that since the Strikers have no interest in MLS - much like the NY Cosmos - what happens to them when MLS arrives. Can the area support teams on the top 2 levels? Since the Strikers are trying to build their own stadium how would a new team from MLS affect that? And on and on.

Never a dull moment here when the subject of the beautiful game is considered.....
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 05-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    I thought Beckham was consideration an off field role with PSG?

vCash
    Spain: Jose Mourinho has left Real Madrid by common agreement with the club. Apparently the rumours that he will rejoin Chelsea are true. If he really goes back to Chelsea, I guess the supporters will be happy about it. They seem to love him very much. I imagine the brittish journalists will like it a lot as well as Mourinho is always a source for good gossip and polemic statements. That may help them sell more newspappers lol

Portugal: The final games of Primeira Liga were all played on Sunday. There were two key matches to decide who would win the national title: Benfica vs Moreirense and Pacos de Ferreira vs FC Porto. Benfica had to win their match and expect Fc Porto to draw or lose against Pacos. Benfica beat Moreirense 3-1. Porto beat Pacos in a very polemic match that in the end decided the championship. First it was odd to see Pacos leaving out some of their best players and second the ones that got to play were strangely apathic. The referee was all over the place. He gave FC Porto a penalty kick for an inexistant foul that not even happened in the box. The referee did not think twice and showed the Pacos defender the red card. FC Porto did not waste the chance and made it 0-1. Latter the referee validated an off-side goal helping FC Porto making it 0-2 and winning the title. Wow!

Porto needed to better Benfica’s result to sow up the championship, and they achieved their goals with a 2-0 away win at third-placed Pacos. Porto’s opener against The Beavers, though, was shrouded in controversy.
    23 minutes into the contest, Porto’s Colombian forward James Rodríguez tumbled into the box, and Porto were not only awarded a penalty but Pacos were also reduced to ten men as defender Ricardo was instantly dismissed. There were only two problems, though, with that decision.
    Firstly Rodríguez went down without any contact from the Pacos defender. Instead Rodríguez clipped his own heels, which in turn conned the referee that he had been fouled. It was a dirty dive.

Second, regardless of the non-contact, Rodríguez’s alleged foul wasn’t even in the box. Whilst the Colombian made sure he fell into the home area, the contact occurred on the edge of the Pacos box.
    Sadly for Pacos (and Benfica) the spot-kick was awarded, and Argentine playmaker Lucho Gonzalez converted the 23rd minute penalty to set up the title celebrations. The rest, as they say, was history."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sm_gwDv-lS...enalti-fcp.png
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/po...alty-at-pacos/ - In this link you can see a picture of the moment when the Porto player tripped on himself and dived into the box. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I thought Beckham was consideration an off field role with PSG?
    He'll evidently do more than just one thing. Helping PSG in some way is not out of the question, Neither is being an ambassador for the sport in China. However, the primary "rumor" about his involvement is supposed to be with Marcelo Claure and others with a new MLS team in Miami. We'll see what we'll see. I'll buy into it when Beckham & crew and Garber make some sort of formal announcement.

NJL (on a more important note the Ft Lauderdale Strikers advance in US Open Cup with a PK (7-6 after a 1-1 tie after 90 minutes plus 30 minutes extra time) victory over Div 4 Laredo Heat. They'll now play FC Dallas next Tuesday at Lockhart Stadium in Ft Lauderdale.....take that, Becks, the Strikers will be 1st to bring MLS to South Florida.......)

vCash
    What would this sport be without bad referring eh?! And Mourinho is like a modern day train hopper but with a lot more money. LOL

vCash
    There is quite a back room shake up going on at Man U right noe with Phelan, Steele and could possibly be replacing them Everton alumni. Man U will be touring Asia and Australia in July and in the meantime Chelsea and Man City are in the US where they recently played to a 3-4 result in favour of City.

vCash
    Something big is happening tomorrow it but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. LOL It'll come to me eventually...

vCash
    Maybe it's something concerning Munich? Or is it Dortmund? I'm confused

vCash
    LOL@DaiKozOda

I know! I know! I know! I got it now! It's Octoberfest right?! No wait... That's in October.... Guess I have to keep doing my research then. Hehehehe

vCash
    0-0 at half time

vCash
    Mandzukic for Bayern makes it 1-0

vCash
    Ooooops... 1-1

vCash
    2-1 Bayern And here I was thinking that Ribery's best days were behind him. Shows how much I now.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Chapeau, congratulations to wonderful, brave Borussia Dortmund!!! They are the Champion League winners of the hearts, they've made it thrilling until the very end, too bad a sensation wasn't meant to be this time ...

Although I'm German, I just don't care for that other team. Instead of Bavaria, the cup could've also gone to Azerbaijan, I don't give a f***in damn ...

vCash
    Buzz, they are, his overall game was far from spectacular.

Zokko, you're so not alone! ...

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast