Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Nancy at least attempted to be dramatic, which was effective with audiences.
    She did? In what way? I never thought of Nancy as being dramatic, nor can I think of any comments from back then that referred to her in such a way. Of the solid skills Nancy possessed, somehow I don't think drama was among them, except perhaps off the ice.

vCash
    Well, Kerrigan at least attempted to project to the audience, effective or not. Can't say the same for Gold.

vCash
    I never thought Nancy "dramatic", but she had a clean, polished look to her skating which I can appreciate. And I agree with whomever said that her "packaging" garnered her those few extra tenths. She always looked fantastic, and, IMO, was one of those skaters who never had a rough edge to what she did. Aside from jump mistakes, everything always looked "in line" if you know what I mean. I think this counts for a lot.

vCash
    She also looked middle age always. Scary.

vCash
    I like how the ladies used to look more womanly.

vCash
    Yes but the rest don't have horse face.

vCash
    It's a real shame Ito didn't show up at these Worlds. I wonder if she's ever regretted it? I mean, what did she really have to lose? I think she had more to gain than to lose. It would not have been at all shocking to see her snatch back the world title.

vCash
    It is a shame, but it was good for Lu Chen. Looking at this 1996 article, it looks like Ito had developed serious eating disorders and anxiety problems by the mid-1990s. I have a feeling things were only slightly better in 1992.

Japan's Ito Withdraws From Competition, Chicago Tribune December 03, 1996

vCash
    ... She is a little like Gracie Gold in the sense that both were/are overblown because of the possession of athletic jumping without physically looking the part of the "athlete." Nancy at least attempted to be dramatic, which was effective with audiences.
    I think that Nancy's choice in music may have helped in the dramatic angle. The music which she used for 2 years, including her break-out season in '90 - '91, from 'Born on the the 4th of July' has a haunting quality to it and sticks in your head

vCash
    Going far back in time, before Nancy really did any jumps, you can see her edge quality and the unique beauty of her skating.

Nancy Kerrigan 1987 NHK Trophy

vCash
    Going far back in time, before Nancy really did any jumps, you can see her edge quality and the unique beauty of her skating.

Nancy Kerrigan 1987 NHK Trophy
    Lovely program until that disastrous ending. Thanks for sharing. I really miss the "moves in the field" type elements in programs today. You can no longer show a long beautiful edge the way Nancy did in this program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Yes but the rest don't have horse face.
    I'm calling you out on this. Completely uncalled for. I'm sure you think of this kind of bashing as being 'snarky,' just because it's the acceptable word on here for bullying and being a troll, but I think you're out of line.

vCash
    I think Nancy was always beautiful, but there is even a Family Guy episode where they joke about her teeth. Nancy had to live through an unprecedented media circus where they televised her crying after a brutal assault, so I doubt she is hurt by remarks about her appearance anymore. She must know she was one of the prettiest skaters, even with her awkward bows and scrunchies (what was going in the 80s and early 90s with hair in general?).

vCash
    I associate Kerrigan with elegance, but unfortunately I also associate her with dullness.

I love that everything she did was finished off. Her spiral sequence was a stark contrast to Hubert's. Even if slow, everything was extended and nice. But she just lacked the natural expressiveness of a Baiul (sigh), and who was her choreographer? I think I would always want to pick lighter, more melodic music for her. The Born on Fourth of July music was too haunting for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, Kerrigan at least attempted to project to the audience, effective or not. Can't say the same for Gold.
    Why the shot at Gracie for not being as mature a skater as Kerrigan was considering Nancy was already in her early 20's when she hit the big time. Of course Kerrigan was more mature.

vCash
    I'm not sure why people think Nancy's skating hasn't aged well. For me she has excellent edges, elegant line, good power,difficult in-betweens, very finished presentation. Her shoot-the-duck into 2F with arms up has to be the voidiest move in this whole competition. I agree her placement was generous given the botched combo, but overall I really like her skating.

I enjoyed Tonya's Moon River much more than I thought I would. Shame she never really got back to 1991 form.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I'm not sure why people think Nancy's skating hasn't aged well. For me she has excellent edges, elegant line, good power,difficult in-betweens, very finished presentation. Her shoot-the-duck into 2F with arms up has to be the voidiest move in this whole competition. I agree her placement was generous given the botched combo, but overall I really like her skating.

I enjoyed Tonya's Moon River much more than I thought I would. Shame she never really got back to 1991 form.
    Nancy's music style is very late 80's early 90's. But I agree with you about her skating, powerful and good technique.

vCash
    Nancy's skating is ok as long as she keeps everything simple - simple cross overs, keep the arms straight out, stick with the simple, straight forward bodylines, etc. It's when she strays from this that she looks very awkward. I do not like her footwork or when she attempts any type of dance moves. The hopping thing in her 94 lp was just plain ridiculous.

The best thing that happened to Nancy was when Vera decided to dress her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Nancy's music style is very late 80's early 90's. .
    Ok, I agree with you on that. Nancy, Jill and Debi all had a tendency to portray 'confident jazzercize' in their footwork, I thought maybe Jane Fonda did their choreography. Although at least Nancy had a classic look, while Tonya, Kristi, Midori and Jill's big hair and bigger bangs really dates them. And Yuka's headband really wins the overall Gold Medal for 'Most Evocative of the 90s'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I associate Kerrigan with elegance, but unfortunately I also associate her with dullness.

...But she just lacked the natural expressiveness of a Baiul (sigh), and who was her choreographer?
    Mary Scotvold

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast