vCash

Tipping on take-out

My general policy is to not tip on take-out/carry-out, unless there's effort put into packing, cutlery, etc.

For example, there's a nearby gourmet pizza place where the pies are $30-35. The pizzas are just boxed and I take them away. I don't ask for plates or napkins or red pepper. I gave my assistant my card and she gave them a $10 tip on a $70 bill. Suffice to say I wasn't happy with that.

For the record, I'm a generous tipper at restaurants (I tip on tax, too) and tip delivery guys well (I would've given these pizza guys probably $100).

And if I go to a fast-food takeaway place (like Panda Express/Yoshinoya/San Sai) I definitely NEVER tip.

What do you do?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Personally, if I'm getting takeout at a place that is primarily take out (although there may be a few tables to eat at once you get your food at the counter), I don''t usually tip. If I get takeout at a place that is primarily a restaurant, I'll tip because in those cases the person packaging up the food likely isn't making minimum wage since they count expected tips as part of the compensation - and when they're working on handling my order and boxing it up, they're taking time away from their other customers who need table service. I don't tip as much as I do for full table service, but I'd still tip about 10%.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Tipping on take-out

Around here the people who work to go orders are being paid more than minimum wage so I do not tip unless there is something extra they have to do for my order.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I do not tip on carry-out. Tipping is a reward for service, and I don't really think the counter person does me much service by handing me my food.
    In fact, it is one of the reasons I get carry-out over delivery! (I don't get carry out much either though.)

When I worked a Chili's, the waiter in charge of carry-out was assigned to that position for the shift, and was paid more than if she was assigned to a regular wait shift, because it isn't expected (by state law) that the position will make the wage in tips. They generally made less than they made if they were working their regular shift, but it was not well below minimum wage, like the basic wage for a wait-shift is. Some places might get around this by making wait staff prepare carry out in addition to their regular workload, I don't know.

vCash
    I used to hostess for a family style chain restaurant, and I was in charge of placing take-out orders, as well as packaging the orders on top of seating customers and running the seating chart. On busy nights we had a team of 2-4 hostesses so even though it was still hectic at times, it was manageable for the most part. It was nice to get an extra dollar or two, but it wasn't "expected". Most people actually did tip us at least one dollar.

If I'm at a counter style place like chipotle, starbucks, or jamba juice, I usually throw whatever extra coins I have from my change into the jar. Sometimes I'll throw in a dollar if I get really outstanding service for whatever reason. But at restaurants that are primarily sit-down that happen to have take-out service I always give a dollar or two because I know they have other duties outside of take-out, and they are usually very generous with silverware, extra condiments, ect. In general I go by quality of service.

vCash
    Tip for what? You're pretty much doing the delivery - why tip them? Maybe if you have used them for sit-down service or delivery in the past, but MAYBE. Other than that, I would not.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I tip a buck or the extra change from my order at take out pizza or ice cream shops, dunkin donuts etc if there is a tip jar. At my Thai restaurant I tip 1 to 3 $ depending on the order. Outback curbside 2 to 5$.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    There's lots more tipping talk in this thread (four pages, actually! Plus poll results on tipping):

Tipping - For? Against? How Much? Yes To Waitstaff, But No To...?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I don't tip for carry-out or drive-through unless they're actually doing some special order preparation.

For example, at Dunkin' Donuts, they mix in the sugar and milk to my specifications, so I do tip the server/cashier. Ditto at Chipotle, where they prepare each order individually. If I order takeout from the local chinese place and ask for fried rice instead of white rice, I tip if they get the order correct, lol. At the local pizza place, I tip if the counter kids are friendly and polite. If they're texting and ignoring me, no tip for you! (I have a weak spot for high school/college kids.)

One really big exception - I overtip at our rink's snack bar. I don't often buy anything there, but when I do, I tip them a dollar or two, even just on a bottle of water. The staff is high school/college kids and an adult woman who is a single parent and works really hard, all the time.

I've never ordered carry out from casual restaurants like Applebees, so I haven't considered the tip situation.

I don't tip at fast-food places like McDonald's or Wendy's, but that's unfair because I always order custom at Wendy's. I like their Pecan-Apple Salad, but I ask for cheddar instead of blue cheese. I wonder if they even have tip cups/jars?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I don't tip for carry-out or drive-through unless they're actually doing some special order preparation.

For example, at Dunkin' Donuts, they mix in the sugar and milk to my specifications, so I do tip the server/cashier. Ditto at Chipotle, where they prepare each order individually. If I order takeout from the local chinese place and ask for fried rice instead of white rice, I tip if they get the order correct, lol.
    I kind of understand the tipping at the Chinese place because they are doing something extra, but at Dunkin' Donuts and Chipotle- that isn't special preperation, that is standard. One of the things Dunkin' Donuts advertises as being better than other places is that they will mix your sugar and milk. It really isn't a benefit that would make me want to go to Dunkin if I then should give them more money for doing it. Same with Chipotle- I figure their ridiculous prices are because they are making it to order for me. I'm not giving them more for doing that!

You're clearly a nicer person than I am

vCash
    I don't do much take-out. What I think is ridiculous is tip jars at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts. I will throw my change in, but if my change is only 20 cents, that's it. I also don't get delis that have tip jars. We don't tip the deli counters at grocery stores, why tip stores that are only deli? Unless you are being served at a table.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I usually tip a buck or two (no matter what the cost of the order) if it's an independent restaurant with normal sit-down service. There's a pizza place a block from me that I get take out from periodically and they are always really nice so I might give them a little extra. Places designed primarily for take out I don't tip.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Carry out, no, unless there's a change jar at the register. And I would never pay a tip that was pre-added to a takeout order.

In the US, the minimum wage for waitstaff and bussers is lower than the federal minimum wage. Those people need tips to make up for the difference. Counter folks, cooks and other jobs always make at least the minimum wage unless the owner is mis-classifying the employees.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I generally don't tip for carryout unless it is being delivered to my door. If I am dining at the restaurant with waitstaff serving the meal, however, I do tip generously for good service.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I kind of understand the tipping at the Chinese place because they are doing something extra, but at Dunkin' Donuts and Chipotle- that isn't special preperation, that is standard. One of the things Dunkin' Donuts advertises as being better than other places is that they will mix your sugar and milk. It really isn't a benefit that would make me want to go to Dunkin if I then should give them more money for doing it. Same with Chipotle- I figure their ridiculous prices are because they are making it to order for me. I'm not giving them more for doing that!

You're clearly a nicer person than I am
    Most likely. My DD worked at DD and Chipotle, so I know the tip for good service will be appreciated. If they screw up the order, though, no tip.