Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea thread

vCash
    My most favorite is regular black tea (Lipton) which I drink every morning. I also like Darjeeling tea. Among herbal teas my faves are Sweet Dreams, Chamomille, Jasmine, Hibiscus, rose hips (in short, all the flowers) and mint.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I also like Korean roasted barley or rice tea. I like the smoky flavor. But right now I am going to make myself a cup of green.

Fresh ginger tea is great when you have a cold and/or queasy stomach.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My favourite "straight" tea are Japanese green tea, Chrysanthemum tea (sometimes with a bit of rock sugar) and (cold) oolong tea.

I like to drink floral black tea with milk & sugar or lemon & sugar.

I love the various Chais, and usually steep them with milk and honey. My current favourites are the Chocolate Chili Chai and Pumpkin Chai from David's Tea.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Guzzi View Post
    My doctor told me several years ago that I should stop drinking anything with caffeine but I do like my tea and, although I've cut way back on my tea consumption, I can't give it up entirely.
    Have you tried rooibos tea? It's technically not tea, but there are a lot of them I really like (particularly some of the vanilla rooibos teas). I usually order from Zen Tea in Canada, but most tea stores are going to have a big variety of rooibos tea.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    What's the deal with caffeine? I can't drink too much at a time and I can't drink it after noon or so or it will disrupt my sleep. Are there other reasons people avoid it?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I love tea. I grew up with a tea cabinet and remember having tea with my mom as a toddler.

Having said that, while I have lots of different teas (not a tea cabinet but a tea shelf... I'd love to expand), on a daily basis I end up drinking boring old regular black tea (typically Salada or Tetley). I also try to drink a decent amount on green tea. Any suggestions for good green teas? I haven't found one I love lately (I once had a wonderful rose green tea but can't seem to find a comparable one now and I do like jasmine green tea though I'm out...) and could use suggestions. I also like fruity herbal teas, especially Celestial Seasonings Tangerine Orange. One of my other favorite black teas is jackson's of piccadilly russian caravan.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Wheee tea! Here's my tea story: from a very early age, I was a tea drinker - I have never liked coffee - and for most of my life drank the standard Red Rose/Tetley with three heaping spoons of sugar and 1/3 milk. Then about 10 years ago I went off sugar, and ditched the milk in my tea at the same time, and lo and behold, discovered that tea actually has flavour! At the time, I was strictly dieting so decided that tea was a luxury of which I would not deprive myself (no calories or carbs!), and I have continued to keep a stash of interesting teas, including some fancy blends in pretty tins.

I also have a few lovely tea service items - Sophie Conran's smaller teapot is ideal for one person to enjoy a few cups, and a couple of years ago, a hugely indulgent birthday gift to myself was the full set of Royal Albert's 100 Years Tea Cups, which I love love love.

What really sends me swooning is a good Afternoon Tea. Lovely light scones with clotted cream, a selection of delicate tea sandwiches on a tiered stand, a pot of good tea - there's nothing better.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I love Yunnan Golden teas. I used to order this one in the US. Expensive but totally worth it.
    You MUST take advantage of your time in China to sample some of the world's finest teas, and even visit the plantations - spring flush is almost upon us! A couple of years ago we were in Hangzhou, region of the famous longjing or Dragonwell tea (and one of the most beautiful places on earth IMO), and were all set to do a plantation tour, but severe rains forced us to cancel and then we had to move on to another city. Regret that to this day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    What's the deal with caffeine? I can't drink too much at a time and I can't drink it after noon or so or it will disrupt my sleep. Are there other reasons people avoid it?
    I know some people who avoid any caffeine due to heart issues. They probably need more than trace amounts to cause palpitations, but it isn't worth risking.

vCash
    The only way I like tea is loose leaf – that way there are enough oils in the drink to give it “body”. Otherwise, tea seems like drinking dish water to me. But I make my first love, coffee, almost thick enough to be motor oil, so consider the source. I have gotten stashes of great tea from an online boutique company called Praise Tea. Their harmony blend is one of my favs – green tea infused with pear. They have a newer flavor, champagne berries that looks fab too. All the additions are natural so no fake flavors and never overpowering.

http://www.praisetea.com/
    Figure skating is hard.

Just me
    vCash
    For whatever reason, my father's doctor told him not to drink coffee, so he was a tea drinker. There was nothing more special than having a cup of tea with Dad on a Saturday morning. Anytime we had colds, my mother would fix tea with honey and lemon (and a dash of whisky!) and it always made us feel much better.....wonder why?

I like fruit and spice flavored teas (black, green and white) better than anything with mint and I've never put milk in tea, but I feel like I need to try it at least once. I do drink iced tea (Luzianne is my favorite) with either lemon or a splash of cranberry juice in it.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    I only like green tea. My favourite is mint green tea but I also really like the fruity types and plain.
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Republic of Tea vanilla almond for me this morning. With Splenda. Tastes creamy even without milk or creamer.

Another point -- I hate the combination of lemon and caffeine. I can't stand lemon in my black tea, either hot or iced, nor when servers put a lemon wedge in my diet Coke.

But a fruity herbal tea with lemon flavoring would be fine. Not usually my favorite, though.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Lemon is gross when it ventures into verbena territory, which to me is the smell and taste of dish soap. My morning's cup today is a blend called Lady Londonderry, which has subtle notes of strawberry and lemon - you can't actually taste either, but the overall effect is light and springy and pretty.

I'll take lemon in iced tea, but never in hot tea.

vCash
    Mmmmmm, tea! Time to have another one. BRB.
    OK, kettle is on and I'm here with all my teas.

I start my day with a large mug of Tetley regular tea. Not too strong, but with milk and sugar -- just the way both my grandpa and papere gave it to me as a toddler. Yep, been "drinking" tea for over 5 decades now

Later in the morning, I sometimes have another tea -- usualy more Tetley. If I have a tea in the afternoon or the evening, I use one of the flavours which my DD (dear daughter) gave to me as a Christmas gift. She goes to school out east and went to some special store where she purchased a box of DavidsTea which are user-friendly, enviro-friendly way to settp our high-quality loose tea. Oh yeah, she also got me five packets of flavour teas cause I do love flavoured teas -- my favourite was also a Tetley tea called Summer Berry. The five teas she got me were
    1) Organiz Razzmatazz. It's an herbal infusion that is supposed to taste like a ripe, juicy berry. Contains rosehips, lemongrass, lemon verbena, hibiscus, rooibos, raspberries, stevia.
    2) Bear Trap. An herbal fruit infusion that is caffeine-free with elderberries, apples, rosehips, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, strawberry leaves, lemon verbena, cherries, blueberries, papaya, black currant & raisins. WOW!
    3) Pineapple oolong. I have NO idea what is oolong but it has fruit so DD got it for me. Contains Tie Kwan Yin oolong, pineapple, apricot.
    4) Organic Blueberry Jam -- a black tea. It contains black team, blueberries, elderberries, pink cornflower petals, stevia. Apparently it's supposed t obe the perfect companion to my morning toast. Too bad I don't do morning toast
    and last but not least, my favourite of the five
    Sweet Strawberry. It's a premium grade WHITE tea with strawberries, rosehips, white silver needles, hibiscus, stevia. It says that it's "fresh and fruity blend is like spring in a cup". Ahhhh, I do like spring and I love this tea.

Now when I'm off to a hockey game -- or a figure skating comp -- I like to bring a thermos of tea and since I can't find Summer Berry, hubby has found something that is almost as nice. It's by President's Choice and called Raspberry Thriller. I absolutely love it! I let my Canadians roomie try it and I think she found it OK (right flowerpower?)

Now can you see a general trend here? If you are thinking -- she's fruity, you would be CORRECT!!!!!

Thanks for the wonderful thread. Time to go finish making that cup of Tetley now that I'm sure the kettle has boiled.
    Crazy about sports!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    The only way I like tea is loose leaf – that way there are enough oils in the drink to give it “body”. Otherwise, tea seems like drinking dish water to me. ...
    That's how I feel about it.

I do think the tea pyramid shaped bags work pretty well though, its just the traditional bag that really doesn't do it for me.

By dint of personality, I drink the same tea every day and have for years. I order a 2 lb bag of Assam every six months from Choice Organic Teas.

I like lots of other tea but stick with that most of the time.

I don't like herb tea as well because of the lack of body and I can't drink caffeinated drinks past morning so I drink a lot of coffee-substitute stuff like Caffix or Pero.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Darjeeling. With milk. Twinings. Every morning and throughout the day.

I have a small packet of gold tip Assam, which is wonderful as a special treat, lots of Republic of Tea white teas and green teas, and because it is illegal to live here without a full supply of Celestial Seasonings teas, a drawer full of them. (Blueberry is my current favorite. Can't find the Black Cherry one in the store & must venture over to Celestial's plant to get some.)

The Lady Londonderry sounds lovely. Where do you get it?

My favorite place to go out for tea: http://www.boulderteahouse.com/about-the-teahouse/ I've never been to Tajikistan, but the beautiful building they sent is an incredible visual feast, and their tea menu is a feast for other senses.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Our local tea shop is Capital Teas. They aren't a cafe just a tea shop but they always have samples brewing. And you can order over the internet from them.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    I also stick to loose leaf, and prefer robust black teas, either Assam on its own, or English Breakfast/Irish Breakfast/Russian caravan teas. With or without a dash of milk. I also love chai masala (with lots of milk and honey) and the occasional fruity blend, or coconut or vanilla. Heck, as long as it's black loose leaf I'll probably enjoy it.

While I like the taste of floral green tea blends, green tea sometimes makes me nauseated, and while I can handle white tea better it's a little too mild for my tastes. When it's too late in the day for caffeine I stick to herbal teas.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I've never been much of a black tea fan, except as iced tea. I pretty much only drank it when it was served "at tea time" with my various elderly English relatives. And the last of those just died last month.

The only other time I drink black tea is as chai. With or without Indian food.

I like green tea, but don't make it for myself all that often. Mostly I just drink it at Japanese or Chinese or Vietnamese restaurants. I did buy some amazing green tea with sour cherry from Silk Road Tea in Victoria, though -- that's a new favourite.

The only variety of tea that I make for myself with any regularity is roibos. Either plain or flavoured -- my current picks are Tuscan Pear Roibos and Ginger Roibos from the Granville Island Tea Company.

Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    I love the various Chais, and usually steep them with milk and honey. My current favourites are the Chocolate Chili Chai and Pumpkin Chai from David's Tea.
    As yummy as David's Teas are, I find most of them to be too kitschy and so full of other stuff to be really called tea. I mean, candy lips? C'mon! But they are tasty!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast