Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea thread

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    What really sends me swooning is a good Afternoon Tea. Lovely light scones with clotted cream, a selection of delicate tea sandwiches on a tiered stand, a pot of good tea - there's nothing better.
    ITA. My very first afternoon tea was at the Brown's hotel in London. Set a nice standard but the Palace Hotel in San Francisco keeps it up nicely. I am constantly looking for excuses to invite a few gal pals for tea. Guys I know generally roll their eyes at this. Their loss, more for me!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    What's the deal with caffeine? I can't drink too much at a time and I can't drink it after noon or so or it will disrupt my sleep. Are there other reasons people avoid it?
    I used to be hypersensitive to caffeine and if I had a few cups of black tea in the afternoon, I was guaranteed a sleepless night. Now it seems, I have a bit more tolerance.

As far as avoidance, it depends on how it makes you feel and as long as you don't drink a lot and every day. Everything in moderation. Does it make you feel jittery? Or just gives you a nice boost of energy? Also, I saw a study that depending on your genetic makeup, caffeine can either be your friend or your foe in terms of cardiovascular health. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing one way or another unless you have the genetic test performed. Doubt it's standard of care at the moment, although I think it should be. Could be a great money saver since there many people drinking caffeine and working their way into heart disease. Could be me for all I know.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Forgot to say ... I wish I could like the taste of matcha! It's so good for you, but to me it tastes like dirty grass. I'll add some if I'm making a smoothie, but I don't make smoothies that often. The only other way I've found to make it palatable is to add so much sweetener and other stuff that it kind of defeats the purpose!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I've never been much of a black tea fan, except as iced tea. I pretty much only drank it when it was served "at tea time" with my various elderly English relatives. And the last of those just died last month.
    Sorry to hear that, but glad you have the happy memories Tea can be something for generations, no? Like professordeb mentioned above in her family?

As kid I read a lot of English school stories, then later Agatha Christie and other novels, and watched all the British series on PBS with my mom. I was obsessed even then with the idea of Afternoon Tea, and I remember a happy two weeks at the family cottage with my mom, sister and our schoolfriends where we made a new cake every afternoon to have with our tea When I finally got to have actual Afternoon Tea with all the trimmings, I found heaven.

Also barbk missed your post earlier - I think Lady Londonderry is a known blend, but I get mine at a local tea purveyor that sells Metropolitan Teas (Canadian tea supplier). I think if you search around you might be able to find another supplier in the US for mail order.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    ITA. My very first afternoon tea was at the Brown's hotel in London. Set a nice standard but the Palace Hotel in San Francisco keeps it up nicely. I am constantly looking for excuses to invite a few gal pals for tea. Guys I know generally roll their eyes at this. Their loss, more for me!
    Haven't been to either - would LOVE to do Brown's! - but I always try to have a fancy hotel tea wherever I travel, and have sought out tea rooms wherever I've lived and traveled. There was a simply fabulous tea shop in the neighbourhood where we used to live that sadly closed after about 5 years. The owner did everything right, and before she closed shared her secrets with me - turns out her scones and several sandwiches were from Taking Tea at the Savoy, which I already owned! I've made the scones successfully, but somehow the sandwiches just aren't the same, so I'm continuing to work on that. As anyone in the various FSU food threads knows, I am a collector of cookbooks, and have a shelf devoted to books on tea

Anyway, the best Afternoon Tea within reach of most of us that I can very highly recommend is The Pierre in NY. Unlike many hotels that shove guests through in shifts with dry little scones and sandwiches that have seen too much fridge time, The Pierre is completely fresh, and VERY generous with the sandwiches and sweets, in a lovely setting right across from Central Park.

As for excuses to go, I think most of my Afternoon Teas have been on my own - I bring a good book, ask for a cosy corner or window seat, and indulge.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I also try to drink a decent amount on green tea. Any suggestions for good green teas? I haven't found one I love lately (I once had a wonderful rose green tea but can't seem to find a comparable one now and I do like jasmine green tea though I'm out...) and could use suggestions. I also like fruity herbal teas, especially Celestial Seasonings Tangerine Orange.
    Since you're a fan of the fruity tea I just bought this Republic of Tea Pomegranate Green that might appeal to you.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Since you're a fan of the fruity tea I just bought this Republic of Tea Pomegranate Green that might appeal to you.
    Thanks. I have a few pomegranate green teas that I like, but I prefer fruity green teas iced rather than hot. For some reason, they're just too sweet when hot. So I guess I'm looking for non fruity green teas?

vCash
    I love tea as well. I'm a Twinings fan, and love many of their flavors. Years ago, a co-worker turned me on to Black Current tea - it's wonderful! If you've never had it, it's a black tea with fruit, a very nice combo. I'm a decaf drinker as well, so I was glad to find many of the teas I like in decaf versions online.

Mostly I make it from a bag for convenience sake, but nothing beats a lovely weekend morning with tea the proper way - tea pot, tea cups/saucers (bought a nice set on ebay), loose leaf tea, strainers, and lumps of sugar with milk. Wonderful!
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    ^ Hardly radical, but jasmine green tea is a combo I quite like. The jasmine adds a slight sweetness, but not as much as fruit. They're not all created equal of course -- I think the last box I bought that was good was a Canadian brand so no good to you.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    I nothing beats a lovely weekend morning with tea the proper way - tea pot, tea cups/saucers (bought a nice set on ebay), loose leaf tea, strainers, and lumps of sugar with milk. Wonderful!
    Sounds heavenly! I'm an early riser, so as I sit here at my desk I'm dreaming of the day when it will finally be warm enough to take a nice big mug of tea out to the snow covered deck chair I can see out my window and enjoy that quiet time before the world wakes up.

^ Hardly radical, but jasmine green tea is a combo I quite like. The jasmine adds a slight sweetness, but not as much as fruit. They're not all created equal of course -- I think the last box I bought that was good was a Canadian brand so no good to you.
    I love Twinings jasmine tea - I buy it loose, in the pretty purple tin. I love the smell of it while I wait for it to cool down enough to drink.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    We have a store near us that imports all kind of stuff from the U.K. So I get Yorkshire loose leaf tea to brew in my little cast iron tetsubin. I brew it strong, add a little sweetener, and that's it. Yum!
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    I'm primarily a coffee drinker, but I love tea also. My favorite tea is English Breakfast, with about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar but no milk. I also drink black tea unsweetened but prefer it sweetened, but always drink hot green tea unsweetened. I drink decaf tea when I can get it (also decaf coffee whenever I have the choice.)

Dunkin' Donuts has very good iced tea and also hot vanilla chai. My favorite bottled cold tea is Lipton Green Tea with Honey. I love Turkey Hill diet green tea and Arizona's Arnold Palmer zero. I prefer real sugar in hot tea but like the diet iced teas. I used to love Celestial Seasonings Iced Delight tea bags but these seem to have been discontinued. That was so refreshing all by iteself - no sweetener needed.

I've used a number of throat teas and breathe-easy teas, especially Yogi Tea brand. Those are great for when I have a cold or other congestion. Chai is also very good for that.

Something else I love that I don't think anyone else has mentioned - Green Tea Ice Cream! A few of my favorite local Asian restaurants offer that.
    Last edited by snoopysnake; 03-07-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo

vCash
    I do like jasmine green tea. I think I have Twinings right now. That's going to be my afternoon/early evening tea while working late tonight.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Another great way to drink tea - with booze

This is a fabulous cocktail by one of NY's top cocktail masters - I've had (um, many) at the Pegu Club, and also made it at home (this is what we drank the evening of Kate and William's wedding!) - ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Earl Grey Martini.

vCash
    In north Alabama, the height of tea culture is sickeningly sweet iced tea. Some things are slow to arrive here, thankfully we at least have yoga or I would be mad as a hatter.

My current favourite is Rishi organic jasmine pearl green tea, prepared in a ceramic teapot with a strainer for the tea balls. I drink it hot in the winter, then over ice in the summer.

No milk, lemon, or sweetener with green tea. With black or white tea, I use a small spoonful of xylitol sweetener or truvia.

Great thread, btw. I've written down a lot of suggestions and have quite a cart going at amazon.com.

vCash
    My favourite tea right now is a loose black tea flavoured with apple and ginger, from Indiska. I drink it from a bigass mug (this one), infused in an adorable little tea robot. I also like Twinings Voyage Indian Chai, as well as their "Söder Te", which I think is called "Tastes of Summer" abroad. It's flavoured with strawberry, orange peel, rose petals, elderberry, elderflowers, marigold petals, and some vanilla, and it's lovely. I have those in regular bags, though. I can't always be bothered with loose leaves.

Also, I have two teapots, one big and one small (both from Indiska), and I rarely use them - but I still think I need this one, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    ... infused in an adorable little tea robot.
    I had to stop myself from buying one of those when I saw them a while back, since I already have this rubber duckie tea infuser.

I also had to stop myself from buying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    Also, I have two teapots, one big and one small (both from Indiska), and I rarely use them - but I still think I need this one, too.
    I like this Tardis teapot better.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 03-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Sarah Hughes just tweeted that meetings are better when they involve tea.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Okay, my favorites list at the The Tea Table consits of:

1. Bourbon Sunday Blend, which is like dessert in a cup, seriously, particularly sweetened with milk. From TTT: "a black tea blend of tippy Assam teas combined with real Bourbon vanilla pieces, giving it a wonderfully sweet aroma." I used to drink it as a treat on weekends, and stick with my Earl Grey on weekdays. Speaking of which...

2. Earl Grey Cream. "This blend combines the finest black tea along with Earl Grey's signature bergamot flavor. It also boasts a smooth creaminess with vanilla overtones for a special experience in tea flavor."

3. Masala Chai, my winter favorite that I may have already linked to earlier, I can't remember. As soon as the first snow fell in Michigan I'd be drinking Masala Chai with a goood book.

4. Bingo Blueberry, a caffeine-free delicious fruit blend I mostly drank in the summer.

5. Natural Peppermint, my year-round go-to tea. I never get sick of peppermint tea, ever.

6. Apple Cinnamon Tea, my favorite herbal tea in the wintertime, spicy but caffeine-free so I would drink it when it was too late in the afternoon or evening to have another cup of Masala Chai!

7. Casablanca, the best-selling herbal tea on the site. It's not my favorite, incidentally, but it was the tea I would sometimes make when I'd stuck to a routine for a while and wanted something different. "Contains dried apple pieces, hibiscus, rose hip peels, elderberries, raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, and passion fruit pieces, sunflower, cornflower, and rose petals, and natural flavors."

8. Chamomile Mint tea. I adore this chamomile blend so much. It was always my favorite before-bed tea. The only reason I don't drink it as regularly as I like is that there is some herb in it that tends to stick to the sides of whatever infuser or brew basket I am using and is hard to get off But it's so delicious sometimes I make it anyway and put up with the scrubbing and any residue that sticks. What I need to get is a separate infuser just for this tea, lol.

Yeah, so those are all my favorite. I miss all of these so much. I brought a selection of the earl grey, peppermint, and the almond tea from the ann arbor tea haus with me but I ran out long ago.

vCash
    Wow, you all are inspiring me to try different kinds of teas!

Been a tea drinker since I guess middle/high school and becoming kind of an Anglophile through reading. My usual daily 2-3 cups are some sort of black tea. Lipton if I get desperate; PG Tips or Yukon Gold are definitely better; Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast when I have it in stock (only get to TJ's every few months, as it's a 1.5 hr drive). I do have some loose tea--hubby gave me some excellent Yunnan Gold and Valentine Tea a couple of years back from Adagio. I generally prefer strong teas.

I'll try whatever is the house blend at various Asian restaurants, always, but never remember what they're called. I drink some herbal tea, too--Celestial Seasonings is easy to come by (they used to have something called Citrus C or something like that that was FAB--fruity and strong but not too sweet--but I don't think they carry it any more). Green tea scared me for a while because I read somewhere that it increased your fertility, maybe, and I did NOT want to get pregnant again!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast