vCash

Using screencaps: fair use or copyright infringement

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is well informed about this subject. I have this idea of doing a few snarky movie reviews, it would be nice if I could use a few screencaps to illustrate them, however I don't want to get in legal trouble, of course it's unlikely that anyone will notice unless I get millions of hits, but then there's also the ethical side of it... From what I've gathered using a few screencaps to illustrate a review should fall under fair use, there's plenty of dvd review sites out there that do just that. What do you think?

vCash
    I think you'd be fine; it would be considered fair use as it's a "transformative work." This is all based on US law, but fair use is defined as "work which does not supercede the use of the original work" - a review is doing just that & it's fine to "quote" or in your case screencap from a copyrighted work for the purpose of commenting on the work itself.

If you do decide to go ahead, please link us, I always love reading snarky reviews!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is well informed about this subject. I have this idea of doing a few snarky movie reviews, it would be nice if I could use a few screencaps to illustrate them, however I don't want to get in legal trouble, of course it's unlikely that anyone will notice unless I get millions of hits, but then there's also the ethical side of it... From what I've gathered using a few screencaps to illustrate a review should fall under fair use, there's plenty of dvd review sites out there that do just that. What do you think?
    Screen caps are ok but do give credit to the proper company ie Disney or Warner Bros.

vCash
    Thanks!

If I go through with it I'll definitely put the link here.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Yup, using screencaps for critique or commenting on the work is perfectly fine.

vCash
    Some studios have free photos on their press sites. Some you have to register for and be part of big outlet. But even then they don't grant you access. Trust me, I know.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Will you be posting links to your review in our movies thread?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Will you be posting links to your review in our movies thread?
    If I ever actually do it, certainly!