Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Actress Valerie Harper Has Terminal Brain Cancer

A rare form that may give her only three more months to live...

Tests revealed she has leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare condition that occurs when cancer cells spread into the fluid-filled membrane surrounding the brain. Harper tells the mag she is opting for chemo, but, according to People, her doctors say she may only have three months left to live.
    What a tough break. Bless her for her courage though. I'm hoping for a miracle for her sake.

vCash
    oh so sorry to hear that. Sending good thoughts
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    This is not how I wanted to start my day off w/, as I've always enjoyed Valerie's acting in just about everything I've seen her in and she seems like such a happy bouncy kind of a person. I will be keeping her and her Family in my thoughts and prayers.

vCash
    Her attitude is amazing. What a brave lady.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    So sad! Prayers to her and her family.

vCash
    I admire her courage and fortitude so much.
    What an amazing lady.

vCash
    Oh, what sad news. Valerie just published her memoirs too, mentioning an early-detected lung cancer that was detected rather accidentally (she did not smoke and had not had symptoms) and successfully removed.

I noticed in Valerie's book that she did not write about a couple of issues. She had starred in the play Golda's Balcony which was supposed to have been a vehicle for Patty Duke (my favorite actress) and Valerie's casting in place of Patty caused the latter to file a lawsuit with the producers. (I'm not sure how that worked out.) Melissa Gilbert's autobiography, Prairie Tale, covered a lot about her own victorious run for Screen Actors Guild president versus Valerie. Perhaps Valerie chose to take the high road and leave out these controversies, or else was advised not to include them for legal or other reasons.

I've always enjoyed Valerie's acting, and she was a committed activist off-screen. My prayers go to her and her loved ones at this sad time.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Oh, this is such sad news. I have enjoyed her acting so much over the years, and she has tried to make the world a better place in so many ways offscreen as well. Even her attitude that anything learned from her illness might help others is brave and generous.

Whatever her path to come, and for as long as she remains with us, I wish her peace and freedom from pain.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    ^^^
    Well said!

vCash
    VALuvsMKwan, well said and ITA.

I read the news earlier this morning and was shocked. I wasn't aware that she had survived lung cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with Valerie and her family.

vCash
    Indeed, very sad news!

vCash
    This is so sad. I keep hearing of people getting rare forms of cancer. I hope they find what is causing it and a CURE asap.
    I see and read news stories about things they are finding causing genetic changes in animals and humans but never hear what is or what can be done.
    My prayers go to Valerie and her loved ones.

vCash
    I loved her in Blame It On Rio. Such a hilarious movie.

Very sad news. To be told that you may only have 3 months to live! What do you do...party, travel, enjoy the little time you have left, or go thru daily, tiring chemo/radiation therapy.

vCash
    I loved her in Rhoda and I've always loved her look--even now. If the disease must progress I pray she does not suffer.

duane--I think I would just want to be with family and friends and maybe a trip to Bora Bora.

vCash
    I had two friends who had something similar...leptomeningeal breast cancer metastasis. One friend opted for chemo, but because most chemos do not easily break the blood-brain membrane, they installed a shunt into her skull and poured the chemo directly onto her brain. It bought her two years but at a horrendous cost.

I hope Valerie's chemo treatment is gentler on her. Wishing her the best.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Just read this and feel so sad to hear this news.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I had two friends who had something similar...leptomeningeal breast cancer metastasis. One friend opted for chemo, but because most chemos do not easily break the blood-brain membrane, they installed a shunt into her skull and poured the chemo directly onto her brain. It bought her two years but at a horrendous cost.

I hope Valerie's chemo treatment is gentler on her. Wishing her the best.
    It is odd because with the brain you do not know how it will react: I post on at a college basketball forum and one fellow poster recently lost his 31 yr. old wife--Heather--to brain cancer and the months leading to her death were horrible. In this case death was a blessing---she was in so much pain. My sister's sister-in-law also died of brain cancer but blessedly somehow the part of the brain that was affected removed her ability to feel pain until the very end when she complained of an ache in her leg. I hope Valerie does not suffer like Heather.

vCash
    I lost a good friend just this morning to a similar form of cancer so it is hard to see news like this for anyone. I admire her strength and the unenviable tasks of her family. She is such a talent. My hope, like many here, is that her time is filled with love, peace and serenity

vCash
    Terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    My hope, like many here, is that her time is filled with love, peace and serenity
    Well said and I too hope that her and her family find it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Oh, this is such sad news. I have enjoyed her acting so much over the years, and she has tried to make the world a better place in so many ways offscreen as well. Even her attitude that anything learned from her illness might help others is brave and generous.

Whatever her path to come, and for as long as she remains with us, I wish her peace and freedom from pain.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast