Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Lot's of Dancing fools comin up remember the year everyone seemed to use this music ? Was it 01 ?
    Definitely '01!!! I remember looking up at the big screen in the corners and reading those words over and over and over!

vCash
    For the Finnstep portion, the ISU specifies 2/4 time with 104 beats per minute (52 measures).

Sing, Sing, Sing is 4/4, but it is surely swing so could be used elsewhere in the program.

Lot's of Dancing fools comin up
    Are you talking about the Frank Zappa song? That was written in 1979 and I don't think of it as swing or Charleston (just bad marching band music).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Are you talking about the Frank Zappa song? That was written in 1979 and I don't think of it as swing or Charleston (just bad marching band music).
    No, the Barry Manilow version.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post

Let's see how many couples do the choctaw in the quickstep correctly.
    Dd got into the car after her first lesson on the quickstep and the first words out of her mouth were "Mom it has that Choctaw in it!" She then went on to tell it it was going to be a hard one to do well, but it would be lots of FUN!!!

I actually don't know what a Choctaw is, but I suspect I will need to learn so I can be suitably impressed when she does it correctly. Needless to say, she is still working her way through the compulsory dance tests ... No SD anytime in the near future for her.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    My favourite Choctaw is the Blues Choctaw.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say I love it

vCash
    No, the Barry Manilow version.
    OMG, just as awful but in a different way. Next season will be painful if we have to hear this at every event.

vCash
    Susanna Rahkamo's banker should send a bottle of champagne to the ISU every time they pick the Finnstep.
    She is going to be busy this summer, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    One Not Touching Midline Step Sequence or Not Touching Diagonal Step Sequence or Not Touching Circular Step Sequence

Is that completely new? Obviously I've seen both of the other choices, but I don't recall diagonal being an option before.
    They added circular for 2012-2013, so diagonal will be new for 2013-2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    My favourite Choctaw is the Blues Choctaw.
    I had a young skater one time who was told what she needed to improve on by some judges. She came to me and said "They told me I need more variety in my footwork. They said add some bokchoys".
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Does "Hey Big Spender" or "Minnie the Moocher" fit the prescribed rhythms? Please say no, please say no

In the real world (ie ballroom dancing) you could probably make either one into a Foxtrot or Tango but it would take a LOT of tweaking to make them a Quickstep. (Big Spender is more start-and-stop and would probably be an okay American Tango, Minnie the Moocher would be Slow Fox.)

You could, if you wanted to do a "not mindbogglingly dull same-old" quickstep, use "Bounce With Me", "Crabbukit", "Call the Law", "Theme From Spider-Man" (Michael Buble cover or its Junkie XL remix.) Really, anything that's not "Dancing Fool", "Swing Swing Swing", or that song from "The Mask"...QS can get like Paso Doble, ie "If I hear 'Espana Cani' ONE MORE TIME..."

vCash
    Ah I want to see a Spiderman SD.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    Samuel Johnson put it best when he said, "When a man is tired of the Finnstep, he is tired of life."

vCash
    What OD was that when Denstas used Toy Story Charleston and what else ?

Blergh
    vCash
    Who knew that when all of us were bemoaning the million "Dancin' Fools" in the 2000-2001 season that the ISU would inadvertently answer this 13 years later with having such lenient musical requirements for a "short dance"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post

I actually don't know what a Choctaw is, but I suspect I will need to learn so I can be suitably impressed when she does it correctly.
    Choctaws are hard- I really really hate them Technically the step from back to forward for a spin wind-up is a choctaw, but that isn't what skates are thinking of when they talk about hard choctaws. The one that go forward to back are very difficult.

So you know what to look for: they are a turn that changes foot and edge. (Whereas a mohawk changes foot but keeps the same edge.) IIRC, the quickstep choctaw is Left-forward outside edge to Right Back Inside edge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    What OD was that when Denstas used Toy Story Charleston and what else ?
    Foxtrot

vCash
    A chocktaw video explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q8jVtL3E4U

Performed by Usova

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    A chocktaw video explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q8jVtL3E4U

Performed by Usova
    Very cool, thank you. I will have to show that the dd.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I asked a coach at my rink about how they did choctaws as figures. Discovered that choctaws were not part of figures, they were only ever part of ice dance. Funny how the skaters are now doing them in step sequences to get the levels.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast