Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Michael Jackson family's 'Wrongful death' lawsuit against AEG- new developments

The judge in LA did not throw out the Jackson family's wrongful death lawsuit against AEG, based on emails and other information. This could go to trial. I hope the truth comes out about how Michael died.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/03/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I hope the truth comes out about how Michael died.
    How MJ died is not in question.

vCash
    After watching "This is it," I felt that regardless of the specific reason he died, he really worked himself to death, with many people watching and encouraging. He's responsible for his own very bad choices, but he clearly wasn't in good mental health, and he was pushed too hard. It will be interesting to see how this case goes.

At what point does one adult become responsible for another adult? Ultimately, unless they were signing off on his "good" health for insurance purposes, which would be fraud and possibly proximate cause, I don't think they had a duty to save him from himself. A moral duty, sure, but not a legal duty.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I think the suit should have been thrown out. So what AEG "pressured" Murray to have MJ ready. When it comes to agreements, contracts, dates, and deadlines, people are pressured. The Jacksons' claim AEG executives could have foreseen that Murray would use dangerous drugs in treating MJ. Murray was a legitimate doctor. He was qualified, and didn't have a criminal history or, it appears, one with a long list of malpractice claims against him. The decisions made in treating MJ were made by Murray, not AEG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I think the suit should have been thrown out. So what AEG "pressured" Murray to have MJ ready. When it comes to agreements, contracts, dates, and deadlines, people are pressured. The Jacksons' claim AEG executives could have foreseen that Murray would use dangerous drugs in treating MJ. Murray was a legitimate doctor. He was qualified, and didn't have a criminal history or, it appears, one with a long list of malpractice claims against him. The decisions made in treating MJ were made by Murray, not AEG.
    Are you a judge? A law professor? An attorney?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    How do people feel they know better than the judge? From the article (bolding my own):

The judge ruled Wednesday that Jackson lawyers have shown enough evidence that AEG Live hired and supervised Murray to warrant a jury trial. She also ruled there was evidence to support the Jacksons' claim that AEG Live executives could have foreseen that Murray would use dangerous drugs in treating the pop icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    After watching "This is it," I felt that regardless of the specific reason he died, he really worked himself to death...
    I saw this movie in the theatre and only saw joy. Which exact parts of the movie are you referring to that made you think he was working himself to death?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Yes, Michael died as a result of the drugs Murray gave him but had no one in the family noticed how thin Michael was or that he was so dependent on drugs to sleep and to wake up? Maybe, just maybe if the family had not been so dependent on Michael to financially support them, he would not had been preparing for a world tour he was not physically or emotionally ready to perform.

vCash
    Murray is a doctor; it would not be unreasonable for any of the Jacksons to give his words (that MJ should take these drugs, or otherwise was OK) more weight than they should have done. Also, employers are responsible for torts committed by their employees, so, if Murray was an employee of AEG (or AEG pressured him) , then AEG is responsible.

vCash
    Vash, what part of "I think" did you not understand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    After watching "This is it," I felt that regardless of the specific reason he died, he really worked himself to death, with many people watching and encouraging. He's responsible for his own very bad choices, but he clearly wasn't in good mental health, and he was pushed too hard. It will be interesting to see how this case goes.

I saw the movie 'This is it' in a theater and saw no indication that Michael was being pushed beyond his physical limits. He sang and danced great, but with some restraint, as one would in a practice session, vs. public performance. He appeared very happy in his interactions with his supporting cast. I don't know what gave you the impression that he was too weak to be preparing for that tour.

vCash
    MJ was horrific drug addict and everyone around him new it; as did most of his fans and casual observers. MJ knew the consequences of taking drugs like that even under the guise of an MD who gave it to him.

He was a very strong willed man and would have done anything to make that concert a success and from what we saw in the movie, it probably would have been. He just should have used rest, good food and exercise as way of staying healthy and fit not heavy narcotics.

People need to blame someone, and if that person is dead the target needs to go elsewhere. If a judge feels anyone else is to blame it will come out in court.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Michael Jackson was an adult who made his own choices. Unless his doctor lied to him, I don't see that this case is winnable. That doesn't mean that legally there isn't enough evidence to bring it to trial but it's going to be a tough sell IMO.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I feel empathy for Michael Jackson's children in losing their father... but I feel torn because it is not like he just began abusing drugs because of this tour. For me, I find it difficult to say that AEG is more culpable than his own family who watched him abuse prescription drugs for years. MJ choose Murray as his personal physician; MJ dictated to the physician what drugs he wanted. Even if Jackson felt pressure from AEG (and surely his own self) to perform well, he and his physician were the final people responsible for the poor decisions made which ultimately led to his death. At least that's how I feel.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Just because a Judge doesn't throw out a case at the very early stages, does not mean the claims will ultimately succeed.

I agree with Judiz, Juliann, MacMadame, and piebeck. MJ was an adult with money and means to do what he wanted ... and he did exactly that. No one who worked for him or who was close to him apparently had the power to stop him. MJ was a perfectionist. I can't see AEG putting more pressure on MJ than MJ put on himself.

I truly hope the family can find some peace. IMHO, pursuing AEG will not get them anywhere and will not bring them closure, if that's what they're looking for.

O-

vCash
    I saw the movie 'This is it' in a theater and saw no indication that Michael was being pushed beyond his physical limits. He sang and danced great, but with some restraint, as one would in a practice session, vs. public performance. He appeared very happy in his interactions with his supporting cast. I don't know what gave you the impression that he was too weak to be preparing for that tour.
    I felt the same way as Coco. I didn't see him being weak, but he was very thin - and that entire gigantic and expensive production depended on him alone (not like, say, with a band, where if one of the members got sick they could be replaced). That, along with all of the business dealings that would go into organizing a tour that size, would be a lot of pressure and worry.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    DrugFacts: Understanding Drug Abuse and Addiction

Many people do not understand why or how other people become addicted to drugs. It is often mistakenly assumed that drug abusers lack moral principles or willpower and that they could stop using drugs simply by choosing to change their behavior. In reality, drug addiction is a complex disease, and quitting takes more than good intentions or a strong will. In fact, because drugs change the brain in ways that foster compulsive drug abuse, quitting is difficult, even for those who are ready to do so.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I think most folks understand on some level how serious and complex drug or alcohol addiction can be, but blaming everyone but the abuser (e.g., family, friends, business associates) isn't the answer either. There are underlying reasons an addict becomes an addict, that are personal to the addict and why they either can or can't get clean. Every case is unique.

I lived with a drug/alcohol abuser for years and tried in every way I could think of to save or support or not enable him, and none of it worked. The only thing I learned is that I can't understand the changed brain of an addict. There is a lot of sorrow, that's for sure, but I don't blame myself.

O-

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I think most folks understand on some level how serious and complex drug or alcohol addiction can be, but blaming everyone but the abuser (e.g., family, friends, business associates) isn't the answer either. There are underlying reasons an addict becomes an addict, that are personal to the addict and why they either can or can't get clean. Every case is unique.

I lived with a drug/alcohol abuser for years and tried in every way I could think of to save or support or not enable him, and none of it worked. The only thing I learned is that I can't understand the changed brain of an addict. There is a lot of sorrow, that's for sure, but I don't blame myself.

O-
    This. So sad for you but glad you've gotten to a place where you don't blame yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I felt the same way as Coco. I didn't see him being weak, but he was very thin - and that entire gigantic and expensive production depended on him alone (not like, say, with a band, where if one of the members got sick they could be replaced). That, along with all of the business dealings that would go into organizing a tour that size, would be a lot of pressure and worry.
    Michael Jackson was always thin. He did not eat a lot, from what I had read about him. He was never a big, muscular man. At age 50, he was naturally not as physically strong as he was at 30. He was clearly capable of singing and dancing, based on those rehearsals. He wanted to make a comeback, and wanted to take that risk.

Addiction is never good, and personal responsibility is always there. In most cases it leads to tragic consequences. However, when it comes to a legal case, the only thing that matters is the law, and that's what the judge was looking at. That's what the thread is about. The US legal system allows people to bring lawsuits against whoever may bear some responsibility (case in point- the infamous McDonald case) and that's what we are seeing. It does not deny the responsibility of the individual toward himself, but if another person has a hand in it, a lawsuit is justifiable under those laws. It does not mean that the verdict will be in favor of the Jackson family, but the judge has seen enough evidence to say that a trial is justifiable.

vCash
    Michael Jackson was always thin. He did not eat a lot, from what I had read about him. He was never a big, muscular man. At age 50, he was naturally not as physically strong as he was at 30. He was clearly capable of singing and dancing, based on those rehearsals. He wanted to make a comeback, and wanted to take that risk.
    I don't know if "wanted" was the right word, seeing as a lot of reports suggested that he was hugely in debt and this was the best way for him to earn some $$$.

And no one is saying he wasn't capable of performing - This Is It shows that he was. However, working on parts of a show in rehearsal are not the same as performing that entire show all the way through, night after night, on a long tour.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast