Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I stuck my Jacksons into normal owen to heatmold them. I downloaded some advice from the internet about how to do it. First I made the owen hot, then I switched it off and put them in for about 5 minutes. It worked.

vCash
    I didn't realize ice skates were possible to heatmold (I knew that about bont speedskates...). Hm... now that sounds more interesting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    I didn't realize ice skates were possible to heatmold (I knew that about bont speedskates...). Hm... now that sounds more interesting
    Only some, not all. Usually the higher level of boots, not the recreational ones.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    I don't know in how much of a hurry you are but if you're willing to wait until May, you could probably get something here (again).
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Hanna, I think that's the most plausible. I bought the previous pair in intersport, but if I recall they only had the crap I bought or Rispot (which seems a bit too much). Are there any other stores in Helsinki? (will you take me there?))

vCash
    So you're looking for something that's a bit better than the 30€ skates but not quite Risport etc.? Do you have a budget (if shipping + taxes won't be an issue)?

May is sort of "off season" for general sports stores (like Intersport) to be selling skates so I don't know what kind of variety they will have... but the stores that are specialized in figure skating sell skates all year long, of course.

And yes I'll take you to a shop if needed.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    So you're looking for something that's a bit better than the 30€ skates but not quite Risport etc.? Do you have a budget (if shipping + taxes won't be an issue)?
    Shipping/taxes will not be in issue if I take the skates in my luggage (which I will).
    Budget? Am not sure. Guess anything around 200$ is fine, but I still want a soft-ish boot.
    The Rispot I saw 5 years ago was 140E or so, which is fine, but the boot was far from soft.

Yay, thank you!!!!!

vCash
    Shipping/taxes will not be in issue if I take the skates in my luggage (which I will).
    Budget? Am not sure. Guess anything around 200$ is fine, but I still want a soft-ish boot.
    The Rispot I saw 5 years ago was 140E or so, which is fine, but the boot was far from soft.
    OK so basically your budget allows you to go to the pro shops instead of general sports store/market stuff.

There are two pro shops in Helsinki that have Riedell, Risport, Edea, Jackson and Wifa for beginners/recreational (between 100 and 150€, mostly). I have no idea how soft the boots are though... Figure skates often don't tend to be very soft (until you've broke them in) but I guess the beginner ones may be a bit different? At least you'll get the chance to try them on though instead of just buying blind.

Here are links to the boots that the stores recommend for beginners
    http://verkkokauppa.luckyskate.fi/pr...alog.php?c=130 (this store is very Riedell orientated)
    http://skateshop.fi/naytatuotteet.ph...hmaTunniste=13 (this store has more variety but the prices are not online... I'm pretty sure that most of it is between 100 and 150 though)

vCash
    Some brands are heat-moldable because the interior support is plastic, not leather. You can't heat mold leather, of course. If you are a recreational skater, you may like Jacksons. I would go for something a bit more substantial than the soft skate, though. It's REALLY soft. A friend of mine runs a skate shop in Boston. If you send your foot measurements, she could likely find something that would fit and be appropriate. She's very good.

I would recommend the Jackson Mystique. This is a recreational set but better than the Glacier series or the Softec. It's about $100 or 77 euros. Yes, there are cheaper boots, but you just don't want to put any old junk on your feet, either, because skating is so much more enjoyable with proper equipment.

vCash
    אThanks J-Ro!

so I tried the Edea boots - it seems allright - apparently my foot is not as wide as I thought it was.

Hanna, the prices in Finland seem to be a bit on the high end....

Another trouble is the shipping - apparently to ship anything from the USA would cost about 60$, which would also mean I'd have to pay a tax in Israel....

Checking the options of someone going there and bringing me the skates, but am less and less optimistic about that ....

vCash
    אThanks J-Ro!

Checking the options of someone going there and bringing me the skates, but am less and less optimistic about that ....
    I may have a solution for you. I'm in the United States and I work for an airline that goes to Israel. PM me for details...

vCash
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, I have Jacksons! Hanna, thank you so much for taking me to the shop, hanca, thank you for the advice!

vCash
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, I have Jacksons! Hanna, thank you so much for taking me to the shop, hanca, thank you for the advice!

vCash
    I'm reviving TAHbKA's old thread as I now find myself in a very similar position to the one she was in earlier this year: I am leaning toward getting Jacksons, and have nowhere to try them on before ordering (getting them here is not a problem). My main problem is sizing - I normally wear a Euro 40 size shoe and an American 8.5, but I can't figure out how this would translate to skates. Any advice? I tried measuring my feet and I think the 8.5 is right, but I'm not sure how it converts to a European size when it comes to skates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm reviving TAHbKA's old thread as I now find myself in a very similar position to the one she was in earlier this year: I am leaning toward getting Jacksons, and have nowhere to try them on before ordering (getting them here is not a problem). My main problem is sizing - I normally wear a Euro 40 size shoe and an American 8.5, but I can't figure out how this would translate to skates. Any advice? I tried measuring my feet and I think the 8.5 is right, but I'm not sure how it converts to a European size when it comes to skates.
    Did you try this? http://www.iceskatesnblades.com/Jack...ize_Chart.html & this http://www.usaskates.com/v/vspfiles/...ng%20Chart.pdf
    I have fairly narrow feet and wear 5.5 in street shoes, and my skate size in Jacksons is 4.5A. You definitely have to go with the heel width since toes can be punched out to help the fit afterwards. In case there's a big difference, I think you can also get a custom skate for width.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Did you try this? http://www.iceskatesnblades.com/Jack...ize_Chart.html & this http://www.usaskates.com/v/vspfiles/...ng%20Chart.pdf
    I have fairly narrow feet and wear 5.5 in street shoes, and my skate size in Jacksons is 4.5A. You definitely have to go with the heel width since toes can be punched out to help the fit afterwards. In case there's a big difference, I think you can also get a custom skate for width.
    Thanks! Yes, I did go through that (let's hope the measurements were accurate... ). My problem at the moment is converting from US sizing to European, since apparently that's what the websites I'm looking at have done.

I'll just add that anything will be a step up from the world's worst rentals, so long as the fit is more or less there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'll just add that anything will be a step up from the world's worst rentals, so long as the fit is more or less there
    That is very true! Did they change the skate size itself (they're made in Canada, so I'm surprised by that) or the shoe size they list as corresponding to a certain skate size? If it's the latterr, hopefully this helps? Think I managed to post enough conversion charts for one day now. Maybe one of them turns out to be useful . Most of the time, you should just be able to subtract 1 from your American shoe size to get the Jackson size so 7.5 is what I'd go with.

http://www.size-chart-shoe-clothing-...onversion.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    That is very true! Did they change the skate size itself (they're made in Canada, so I'm surprised by that) or the shoe size they list as corresponding to a certain skate size? If it's the latterr, hopefully this helps? Think I managed to post enough conversion charts for one day now. Maybe one of them turns out to be useful . Most of the time, you should just be able to subtract 1 from your American shoe size to get the Jackson size so 7.5 is what I'd go with.

http://www.size-chart-shoe-clothing-...onversion.com/
    I actually don't think it's accurate... looks like about a size off the correct conversion for US vs. Euro.

Anyway, thanks so much for trying to figure this out! The one size down thing might be true, I'll try and figure it out. I wish I could just try some skates on in person but unfortunately there's going to be some guesswork involved...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12