Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

does anyone here do a salchow with mohawk entry?

I am thinking I should try doing it this way, but want to hear from other people who have experience doing it. Do folks generally consider it easier or harder than from a 3-turn? What advantages does it give over a 3-turn entry ?

vCash
    My coach had me do it a few times to get away from being super swingy. I didn't like it, and went back to 3-turns once I showed I could stop being swingy.

I do my "flip" (quotations because it isn't that rotated yet) from a mohawk though.

vCash
    I've done it, but it doesn't work for me. The 3-turn helps me keep the entry on a curve, and counting through the 3 (one=turn, 2=hold, 3=swing free leg and jump) helps me get the best timing.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Ditto. I can do it, but it feels awkward and lacks flow.

I see the back outside three-inside mohawk entry more often from skaters who are doing doubles and triples. Maybe it has an advantage for multiple revolutions that those of us doing single salchows don't need and/or don't have the skill to take advantage of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Ditto. I can do it, but it feels awkward and lacks flow.

I see the back outside three-inside mohawk entry more often from skaters who are doing doubles and triples. Maybe it has an advantage for multiple revolutions that those of us doing single salchows don't need and/or don't have the skill to take advantage of.
    If you make it a double 3 before the mohawk, you might even get away with it being called preceding ftwk in a short program .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    If you make it a double 3 before the mohawk, you might even get away with it being called preceding ftwk in a short program .
    Only if you wave your arms a lot and over-emote while you're doing it....
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    It's harder to check (stop the rotation) after a 3turn... which to me is the main advantage of the mohawk. Most people can't check 3turns, so for a single that can make the jump easier... but for a triple you'd have absolutely no chance. :p

vCash
    Thanks for the responses - they are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    It's harder to check (stop the rotation) after a 3turn... which to me is the main advantage of the mohawk. Most people can't check 3turns, so for a single that can make the jump easier... but for a triple you'd have absolutely no chance. :p
    I guess this is basically why I am thinking of it. Ever since I got new blades/skates a few months ago, I have not been able to check properly from the 3-turn before the jump, so I have not been able to do the jump at all this entire time (I could do it with the old skates). I don't want to keep not doing salchows just because it's taking me forever to adjust to these blades.

vCash
    I agree with those that use the mohawk entrance as a tool to fix a swingy or pre-rotated entrance into the salchow.

Because the mohawk is flatter as well, there is a greater emphasis on jumping, and driving through with the free leg to actually get the jump off the ice, if you don't bend your skating leg and if you don't drive the free leg up and through, you won't get off the ice at all and the jump fails, unlike the 3 turn where even a step over can feel like you've jump with a pre-rotated entrance and under-rotated landing. The difficulty I have is doing the back outside three before the mohawk with any speed, so if my coach uses it as a tool, i just go into the mohawk skating forwards.

vCash
    I'm at the rink waiting for the session, so I'll see if I can do it.

vCash
    Won't be trying it any time soon, because i broke my wrist about 6 hours ago.

I was doing, of all the stupid things, a back mohawk. I fell right as I was changing feet, but I'm not sure why.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post

I was doing, of all the stupid things, a back mohawk. I fell right as I was changing feet, but I'm not sure why.
    Oh I'm so sorry! Is it your dominant hand?
    I had a very severe sprain when I did a mohawk from backward to forward; I still don't understand how I fell, as it was an easy move for me in a comfortable direction; and I don't understand how I hurt the wrist because I know I didn't use it to catch me when I fell. It was my dominant hand and it made work nearly impossible for the next few months.

I hope your recovery is quicker and less painful than mine was!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post

Oh dear. Those things happen on the easiest of things. Hope it gets better soon.

In answer to your question, I can do a salchow from both ways, but I find the 3 turn easier.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I've only seen the Mohawk entrance as a fix for someone who can't control their check on a three-turn entry. Get well soon.

vCash
    I've done it from both a mohawk and three turn entry, but personally I find it's a lot easier to go from a three turn. Slow down the three turn, keep your back straight and keep yourself checked with your arms going into it... Same thing with the flip.

vCash
    Thanks.

When I was a a kid the flip was my favorite jump. i would fly down the ice and do them like it was nothing. I haven't gotten to working on it yet since returning to skating.

I use mostly my right hand, but am ambidextrous and some things are easier left (for example, skating).

vCash
    Back in time when I was still jumping, I tried the mohawk entry to see if the Dambier-way of doing it would work.
    It did.
    I don't remember any real difference with the 3 turn entrance, maybe you control more your body position.

Good luck with your wrist, I broke mine re-entering the ice after re-lacing my boot, and catching a pick after 1 meter on the ice.call it stupid... (but pretend to have fallen on a triple Axel, it will save your pride ! ;-) )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    (but pretend to have fallen on a triple Axel, it will save your pride ! ;-) )
    Excellent advice!

Hope the wrist heals quickly and isn't too painful for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    Back in time when I was still jumping, I tried the mohawk entry to see if the Dambier-way of doing it would work.
    It did.
    I don't remember any real difference with the 3 turn entrance, maybe you control more your body position.

Good luck with your wrist, I broke mine re-entering the ice after re-lacing my boot, and catching a pick after 1 meter on the ice.call it stupid... (but pretend to have fallen on a triple Axel, it will save your pride ! ;-) )
    yeah, that's how I broke my ankle every time--on triple axels!!! Wasn't on stupid nothings or just plain losing my balance and tipping over. . .

Hoping I can get back on the ice soon. Perhaps if I tape the heck out of my ankle. And I will celebrate by trying a sal out of a mohawk. Just for kicks.

Hope your wrist is better soon, treesprite!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    You guys give a lot of good information, which is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast