Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Was Ina afraid this woman was a pervert trying to get her urine? I understand this is inconvenient, but aren't these the norms of random testing? And why again was she unable to provide a sample?
    My sense is that if this happened right before the Olympics or something, she would have basically had them stay until she could produce or do whatever to make sure she was in the clear (no pun intended). She wanted to retire anyway, just hadn't yet communicated that up the chain, so I could see her being like "forget this" after trying to produce a sample and then not even being able to get through to the hotline.

I wonder if anything ever happened to that agent. Are they allowed to bring "guests"? Are they supposed to be taking samples without having a valid credential with them? I mean, if they want to have the power to ring someone's doorbell anytime and get a sample, isn't it reasonable for the athlete to expect that the agents in turn are strictly following their own code of procedure?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmm why would anyone even think a drug tester was a pervert? Or that Kyoko Ina was smoking pot? Sorry but these are really weird things to comment on.
    Willie, Cherub cited that the tester/representative brought her boyfriend as a reason why Kyoko felt uncomfortable with the situation, which makes about no sense.

Do they not allow the athlete do drink some water and have time to produce a sample? If they do not/did not, then I can agree that Ina was wronged.

The question about illegal, recreational substances is a legitimate one. Those are tested for by the USADA. When an athlete with nothing to hide doesn't produce a sample, it is a reasonable question to ask if they do have something to hide.

vCash
    But referring to someone as a pervert and suggest that someone is smoking pot?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Elena Berezhnaya (and Anton Sikharulidze) although this was a shame.

From Wikipedia:

" In February 2000, the pair won gold at the 2000 Europeans but were stripped of their medals after Berezhnaya tested positive for pseudoephedrine, a substance whose ban was lifted between 2004 and 2010. This resulted in a three-month disqualification from the date of the test, and the medal being stripped. She had taken cold medication approved by a doctor but had failed to inform the ISU as required. Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze missed the World Championships that year as a result of the disqualification."
    Last edited by kittysk8ts; 03-05-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    My sense is that if this happened right before the Olympics or something, she would have basically had them stay until she could produce or do whatever to make sure she was in the clear (no pun intended). She wanted to retire anyway, just hadn't yet communicated that up the chain, so I could see her being like "forget this" after trying to produce a sample and then not even being able to get through to the hotline.

I wonder if anything ever happened to that agent. Are they allowed to bring "guests"? Are they supposed to be taking samples without having a valid credential with them? I mean, if they want to have the power to ring someone's doorbell anytime and get a sample, isn't it reasonable for the athlete to expect that the agents in turn are strictly following their own code of procedure?
    This seems like a plausible account of what she might have been thinking. I only raised the question of her having something to hide like marijuana to be the devil's advocate. We can all sympathize with Ina, for this is a burden placed on the athletes, and skaters are unusually burdened since their sport has little to gain from random testing compared to other sports.

I hope the USADA takes responsibility for the professionalism of its staff. I assume it does. Ina was part of this situation, and it sounds like she was being careless because she thought she had nothing to lose.

vCash
    I read a couple of recent athlete autobiographies this past winter and the funniest, weirdest parts are the sections in which the athletes talk about the drug testing procedures - in and out of competition.

Michael Phelps is hilarious on this subject (yes, he does talk about getting high at a party and how dumb that was).

In Phelps' book, he talks about he and his teammates (USA and Baltimore swimmers) get random, unannounced every few month visits from the USADA people - at their homes, their training sites, wherever. (USADA people show credential and are same gender as athlete). Athlete has to produce a sample within a time limit or USADA gets a report of noncompliance - which is what happened to Kyoko Ina.

And like any New Yorker - or woman anywhere - why should she allow anyone without proper ID into her house?

That's just common sense.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Do they not allow the athlete do drink some water and have time to produce a sample? If they do not/did not, then I can agree that Ina was wronged.
    I recall one skater (of course I can't remember exactly who) who said he had to drink three beers before he could produce enough for a usable sample.

At the risk of getting TMI, I don't think you are allowed to produce it gradually, if you get what I mean....you have to produce the entire sample in one go.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I like to think she was high/recently high.

vCash
    I hesitate to throw random accusations without specific evidence, but blood doping and diuretics sound like things Chinese athletes might attempt. They are the only country suspected to lie about skater's ages for competitive advantage. For this reason, it's easier to speculate about them experimenting with practices like doping.
    hi Iron Lady, you definitely found the right place to post this

vCash
    Are you worried about China's reputation for openness and honesty?

vCash
    Age problem, maybe, but what you accused seems really .......absurd

vCash
    Cherub cited that the tester/representative brought her boyfriend as a reason why Kyoko felt uncomfortable with the situation, which makes about no sense.
    Oh, I think it makes tons of sense.

Are you a woman who lives alone? If two people I didn't know came to my house at 10:30 at night, I don't think I'd even answer the door, and surely would not let them in the house. I think If Kyoko had a good lawyer pursue the case, the fact that neither person had a valid credential probably should have gotten her off. As it was, this happened in the summer after she retired, so she decided she didn't care what they did.

vCash
    I think some of you may not realize that you are observed as you pee. You can't just go into a bathroom like you do in the doctors office.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfanfun View Post
    I didn't accuse any skater of anything. I know authorities in China deny all age violations. They have never admitted to anything. Based on the evidence, I do not believe them. So I personally think it it wise to believe they would lie about matters of doping. Why is that absurd?
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-06-2013 at 09:18 AM.

vCash
    Anyway I did not want this thread to be about China. People seem to become sensitive and defensive when a national federation, however deserving, is singled out. I am interested in what people think of diuretics and if these are being used much among skaters.

vCash
    Anyway I did not want this thread to be about China. People seem to become sensitive and defensive when a national federation, however deserving, is singled out. I am interested in what people think of diuretics and if these are being used much among skaters.
    I think they could be, could help maintain weight. maybe Cohen should have used one in 2012 to move those extra two pounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Oh, I think it makes tons of sense.

Are you a woman who lives alone? If two people I didn't know came to my house at 10:30 at night, I don't think I'd even answer the door, and surely would not let them in the house.
    I am, and if someone I've never seen before came ringing my doorbell at that hour I'd be sticking my head out the window of my 2nd floor apartment (which is right above the front door of my building, and telling them to clear out immediately before one of two things come cascading down on their heads: a bucket of water, or a 5-pound cast-iron window counterweight (I have two), whichever I can get to first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfanfun View Post
    Totally agree with you, skatingfanfun! I was amazed by some people's deep rooted bias.

vCash

Do they not allow the athlete do drink some water and have time to produce a sample? If they do not/did not, then I can agree that Ina was wronged..
    They do, Johnny Weir wrote in his book about several times he couldn't produce a sample after a competition and couldn't leave the arena until he drank enough water to produce.

vCash
    A recent example of a visit:

Tweet by Mervin Tran

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast