Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Skaters and Doping

Have any skaters ever been charged with illegal doping? Even if no one has been caught, what substances might some have in fact used? I am aware there was an incident with Marina Klimova, but I believe her tests were ruled false positives. I would speculate her results could have been affected by something as simple as birth control pills. I find it hard to believe female skaters would take androgenic hormones, but Irina Rodnina came out in 1992 and said steroid use was common in Soviet era skating.

Chicago Tribune: Rodnina Confirms Soviet Steroid Use

What is the state of doping in skating today? It seems to me that training methods and preparation are so superior now that only unusual cases would resort to substances which could be of marginal benefit and potentially disqualifying.

But what about banned diuretics and stimulants? Those could be of some benefit. Are any skaters today using these?

vCash
    The most common accusation I have heard regarding skaters is blood doping (ie., transfusing oxygen enriched blood into a skater right before a competition in order to improve stamina). I don't know of any cases where it has actually been proven.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Katerina Witt said while many East German athletes were forced to dope, figure skaters weren't, so as to keep that light, lean physique.

vCash
    Two interesting articles about doping in figure skating in the GDR. Both are in German. http://www.dradio.de/dlf/sendungen/sport/1404898/
    http://www.freiepresse.de/SPORT/Scha...kel7589568.php

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Have any skaters ever been charged with illegal doping?
    Thread on this topic from last year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ping-violation
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The most common accusation I have heard regarding skaters is blood doping (ie., transfusing oxygen enriched blood into a skater right before a competition in order to improve stamina). I don't know of any cases where it has actually been proven.
    I hesitate to throw random accusations without specific evidence, but blood doping and diuretics sound like things Chinese athletes might attempt. They are the only country suspected to lie about skater's ages for competitive advantage. For this reason, it's easier to speculate about them experimenting with practices like doping.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-04-2013 at 01:58 AM.

vCash
    In 2008 Russian pair skater Yuri Larionov was banned from competition for two years when he tested positive for the diuretic Furosemide.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/07/s...g-tough-times/

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From my link posted above...

Ice Dancer Anastasia Galyeta (UKR) was suspended 18 months by the ISU due to an anti-doping violation. This decision of the ISU Disciplinary Commission was published on May 21, 2012 as ISU Communication 1731: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3516

Yuri Larionov (of Bazarova/Larionov) was suspended after testing positive for Furosemide at the 2007 JGP Final. He was originally suspended for 2 years by the ISU and the Russian federation later filed a successful petition to have his sentence reduced to 18 months.

ETA relevant link to the ISU site: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

ISU Anti-Doping Policy

The ISU has a comprehensive year round, in and out of competition, anti-doping program that incorporates both urine and blood testing.

The ISU blood testing program began in 1999 and uses a specific program called SAFE (Safe and Fair Event Testing) to monitor our athlete’s blood parameters which include the hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCH, MCHC, MCV, red blood cells, the number and percent reticulocytes and reticulocyte hemoglobin. The SAFE program uses these parameters to calculate the off score for each athlete, which is also used to detect manipulation.

The ISU implemented the ISU Blood Screening Program and the ISU Skater Biological Passport Program for its athletes (juniors as well as seniors), which details their blood parameters over time. This long term monitoring of the skaters’ values allows the ISU Medical Commission to detect any anomalies or specific changes over time from which subsequent aggressive targeted follow up is conducted in the out of competition testing program. The ISU anti-doping program fully complies with the World (WADA) Anti-Doping Code.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-03-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I think Kyoko Ina got suspended for failing to undertake a drug test.

The stories from East Germany back in the late 70s and early 80s was around growth stunting of female pairs skaters.

I do think it is surprising though that out of all the sports, drugs has not be a major problem for figure skating. But then it has probably made up for it by corruption and judging problems.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 03-03-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: I spelt the skater's name wrong - thanks for spelling it correctly Sylvia
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    A summary of the Kyoko Ina situation: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=906

vCash
    Thanks for posting that link Sylvia.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Was Kyoko Ina smoking pot? Why wouldn't you just provide a sample?

Why are marijuana and other non-enhancing chemicals on the banned substances list?

vCash
    I just still find it strange that they can show up at a skater's home demanding a sample.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I just still find it strange that they can show up at a skater's home demanding a sample.
    It's the only way for testing to be random and unexpected. You can see how easy it is to mask steroids, for example. It's necessary, or they would catch few of the dopers.

What I wonder is why doping has to be monitored with a one-size-fits-all approach for all sports. Shouldn't they have some special procedures for different sports? Or do they? I would hope they spend more resources going after athletics than skating.

vCash
    I hesitate to throw random accusations without specific evidence, but blood doping and diuretics sound like things Chinese athletes might attempt. They are the only country suspected to lie about skater's ages for competitive advantage. For this reason, it's easier to speculate about them experimenting with shady practices like doping.
    These are indeed "random accusations without specific evidence"!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waltzNo1 View Post
    These are indeed "random accusations without specific evidence"!
    I said I don't like doing it, but let me put it this way. Sui Wenjing is 13 or 14 now. If we are looking for people getting away with shadiness in skating, China is a spot I would check out.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-04-2013 at 01:30 AM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Was Kyoko Ina smoking pot? Why wouldn't you just provide a sample?
    There were some other issues with it... it was late at night, the agent's accreditation was expired and they brought along a boyfriend. I remember thinking at the time I could understand how she would be like, this is sketchy, I'm retiring anyway, and I don't feel comfortable giving the sample under these circumstances.... but apparently she did try...

This blog has some discussion about it: http://mizprker.blogspot.com/
    According to Ina's account, Donna Koch, USADA representative, showed up unannounced at her home at 10:30pm at night on July 18th. At 11:15pm when it was clear Ina wasn't able to produce a usable urine sample, Ina asked for Koch to perform the test the next day at the Ice House in Hackensack where she trains with John Zimmerman. They attempted to call USADA's 24 hour hotline to determine the procedure, but there was no answer. They had arranged for Koch to show at the Ice House. She wrote a note on the USADA form asking for the delay, but Koch said she couldn't return with Ina's signature. Ina signed and that was used as her refusal to comply.

In the AP wire report, Ina is quoted, "They never showed at the Ice House during normal hours. But they decided to show up at 10:30 at night at my house. When I asked the USADA representative how often they come to someone's house at such hours, the answer was never." Adding to the intrigue, Koch's USADA credentials had expired. Koch had also reportedly brought along an "uncredentialed chaperone", referred to Ina as her "boyfriend".

vCash
    Was Ina afraid this woman was a pervert trying to get her urine? I understand this is inconvenient, but aren't these the norms of random testing? And why again was she unable to provide a sample?

Watch me move
    vCash
    If you hadn't had anything to eat or drink recently - which might be the case at 10:30 pm if you were getting ready to go to bed - you might not be able to produce enough urine to be usable for a test. I believe "usable" usually means enough urine for the test, not that the person couldn't pee at all.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Was Ina afraid this woman was a pervert trying to get her urine? I understand this is inconvenient, but aren't these the norms of random testing? And why again was she unable to provide a sample?
    Hmmm why would anyone even think a drug tester was a pervert? Or that Kyoko Ina was smoking pot? Sorry but these are really weird things to comment on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast