I'm taking my niece to Europe as a college graduation present. I'm also bringing my mom as a belated 70th birthday present.
My niece has her heart set on London and Paris...each of which I've been to a few times, but that's ok. However, I'm trying to tack on places I haven't yet visited. Grateful for ideas... We would depart in mid-May and have about 2 weeks to play with, so I was thinking:
- 4 full days in London (maybe an extra day for jetlag)
- 3 full days in Paris (take Eurostar from London)
- Day (or overnight) trip to Bath (I've done this before but love it)
- Day (or overnight) trip to Oxford/Yorkshire/any other interesting places?
- Day trip to visit a friend and her family in Cambridgeshire (forget the name of the town/city)
- Day (or overnight) trip to Versailles
- Overnight trip to the Provence region - maybe Avignon? Looks beautiful...
- We won't be driving at all...is this do-able by train?
- Is very basic French going to be enough for Provence (I think I'll be ok in Paris/Versailles)? I'm trying to learn some elementary French over the next couple of months.
Very grateful for thoughts & ideas!