Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    He has no coach and is not getting proper advice and training and think he should have no professional relationship with Kathy Johnson - but he won worlds so who knows. But doesn't he want to do well? He is not doing well aside from wining titles but what about quality? There is Not a good thing going on there at all for his quality of jumping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    He is not doing well aside from wining titles
    Seriously? Do you even think about this stuff before you post it? There are a couple of million skaters out there who would love to "not do well" enough to win Worlds.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    He has no coach and is not getting proper advice and training and think he should have no professional relationship with Kathy Johnson - but he won worlds so who knows. But doesn't he want to do well? He is not doing well aside from wining titles but what about quality? There is Not a good thing going on there at all for his quality of jumping.
    Hey, those quads gave him like 30 points alone. This is what you wanted, right?

vCash
    But he's doing awful. You removed all the context! He's not doing well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    yes! This must be how the system is but doesnt chan want to do better? I mean he does not have a coach and skating to his potential.

vCash
    yes! This must be how the system is but doesnt chan want to do better? I mean he does not have a coach and skating to his potential.
    Maybe he's happy with his lot in life? Happy with his coach, happy with his training, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Awwww, I like what Patrick said about Jeremy. And as for the banging on the boards -- sounds like what I see happening at hockey and lacrosse games all the time after a good hit or tilt -- or a goal scored! Sounds like this could be a great place for Patrick to train for next season. Anyone else agreed?
    Well, Patrick thinks it's great and obviously U.S./ America generally welcomes all comers with open arms. Patrick seems to be beloved in Colorado, but he seems quite happy and perhaps even more comfortable with the multicultural/ top skater environment in Detroit, not to mention that Detroit is a hop, skip and a jump away from the Canadian border.

And what Patrick said about how he and Jeremy get along is not at all unusual, unique or something to get all dopey over. It's the fans of rival skaters who are the ones who don't generally get along, at least on message boards. I think it's pretty natural that most skaters do like each other because they know what competing and training are like and thus share so much in common that way. Plus I'm sure many skaters get to know each other fairly well on tours and at competitions and training sites. When people get to know each other, even if they're competing against each other, likely most of the time thoughts of intense rivalry don't come into play, unless the people in question are arrogant and have no character. And, it's not like Jeremy has ever competitively threatened Chan's loved-by-judges dominance, although Jeremy certainly possesses the complete package of talent to do so, that is, save for his lack of competitive strength mentally at the big events. And now, time is definitely running out for Jeremy.

Also, Patrick and Jeremy share the fact that Kathy Johnson formerly was Jeremy's dance coach, and the fact that Tess Johnson was a friend of Jeremy's prior to becoming Patrick's girlfriend. I'm pretty sure that Patrick also admires Jeremy's awe-inspiring and masterful artistry on the ice. After all, Jeremy's got nothing against Patrick in any case. Jeremy himself could be Olympic champion and World champion had he ever been able to figure things out at important competitions in the way that Denis Ten suddenly and dramatically has.

vCash
    What Patrick needs is a good sports psychologist. His practice run throughs at Worlds did not suggest he'd be such an utter mess in the FS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    And what Patrick said about how he and Jeremy get along is not at all unusual, unique or something to get all dopey over.
    Considering how nauseating nearly all of your posts about Kwan are, you're really in no position to lecture others on what or what not to get all "dopey" over.

vCash
    ^^ Hey, excellent point, Chan fan. One person's nauseating post could be someone else's inspiring, heartwarming right-on post. Same goes for one's fave skater vs another's fave skater, eh?

Lots of puking apparently still going on among fans of a wide variety of skaters in the men's event in London.

Who could have ever predicted Denis Ten nearly toppling Chan from his precarious, but inevitably predictable perch?

Great skates by Denis, and I love The Artist theme for both his programs. Perhaps Denis would not have been denied gold in this crazy competition if he hadn't doubled a couple of planned triples in the fp which gave the judges the leeway they needed to continue rewarding Patrick for his amazing talent (and his unforgiveable errors that would have sunk anyone else).

vCash
    Perhaps Denis would not have been denied gold in this crazy competition if he hadn't doubled a couple of planned triples in the fp which gave the judges the leeway they needed to continue rewarding Patrick for his amazing talent (and his unforgiveable errors that would have sunk anyone else).
    These comments keep getting bandied about, it's making me crazy. This is not the 6.0 system. Judges do not rank skaters. They enter 18 different numbers for each free skate for each skater. Ten's 2F-2T didn't give the judges an "excuse" not to put him above Chan; if Ten had done the element he had planned, he would have gotten the points. Save for one outlier (the CAN judge, most likely), I don't see anything on Chan's protocol suggesting the judges were trying to hold him up with extreme GOE or components. Likewise, I don't see any judges intentionally lowballing Ten on GOE or components-- he won the long program! Chan just barely did enough to keep himself on top (and wouldn't have if Ten had done 8 triples instead of six). You can dislike the system for over-rewarding quads, or you can complain about the scoring of the components (especially P&E, but the inability of judges to properly distinguish between the different components is endemic in the system), but I think it's ridiculous to accuse the judges as a whole of propping Chan up or holding Ten down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
    These comments keep getting bandied about, it's making me crazy. This is not the 6.0 system. Judges do not rank skaters. They enter 18 different numbers for each free skate for each skater. Ten's 2F-2T didn't give the judges an "excuse" not to put him above Chan; if Ten had done the element he had planned, he would have gotten the points. Save for one outlier (the CAN judge, most likely), I don't see anything on Chan's protocol suggesting the judges were trying to hold him up with extreme GOE or components. Likewise, I don't see any judges intentionally lowballing Ten on GOE or components-- he won the long program! Chan just barely did enough to keep himself on top (and wouldn't have if Ten had done 8 triples instead of six). You can dislike the system for over-rewarding quads, or you can complain about the scoring of the components (especially P&E, but the inability of judges to properly distinguish between the different components is endemic in the system), but I think it's ridiculous to accuse the judges as a whole of propping Chan up or holding Ten down.

I'm not convinced that Patrick needs to run to a tech coach STAT (or after his vacation), he is in need of a capable coach or Kathy Johnson needs to learn to improve her coaching skills. Patrick still landed the best quad and quad triple of the competition so I totally think it's all mental. This goes back to that article during Skate Canada that Kathy Johnson never really talked to Patrick about the significance of that competition until Patrick was ready to step onto the ice. She needs to train Patrick on his focus skating through a pressured competition.

vCash
    Same problem on his 3axel in the FS and this time he was less lucky.

But yes, it might be mental and not technical, we don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Exactly. Chan would not be the world champion if quads weren't so overvalued (not that I'm complaining, I do think he was probably overall the best skater).
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.

vCash
    ^^ Hey, excellent point, Chan fan.
    Save the whole propping up of Ten at the expense of Chan to make a dig at me. I'm not a Chan fan; I'm fairly unmoved by his skating and I don't like that he's won another WC with such glaring mistakes. I just couldn't let that hypocritical and gag-worthy statement of yours pass without comment.

vCash
    Chan fans are always so nervous.
    And what Patrick said about how he and Jeremy get along is not at all unusual, unique or something to get all dopey over.

I am deeply moved by your perpetual concern for us Chan fans. And I am so appreciative of the fact that you provide detailed instructions on how we should or should not feel. Your generosity knows no bounds.

Just one request, though: can you please provide us with lists of which skaters we are allowed to "get all dopey over" and which ones we are allowed to/supposed to make snide, passive-aggressive remarks about? essentially a list of those skaters you love followed by a list of those you hate. thx.

vCash
    ^^ Is that a 6.0 "deeply moved," or a 98+ "deeply moved," Bournekraatzfan?

Since you seem to care so much about my advice, I'd further suggest in all generosity to take a deep breath, and smile. Patrick certainly knows how to do that. I'll bet that's partly what makes him so endearing to his fans.

In all honesty, my opinions will not stop anyone from getting all dopey over anyone or anything they so choose. I didn't refer to professordeb getting dopey over a skater, just dopey or a tad sentimental over what Chan said about how he and Jeremy get along, which is nice but not unusual, IMO. I'm sure Chan gets along with a lot of skaters, as does Jeremy.

Certainly all Chan fans don't react the same way, but there are a group of Chan fans who seem overly protective and perpetually concerned and uber-sensitive about how others view him. I've been accused of same re Johnny Weir. But IMO, the difference re Weir is that people get all nasty about his personal quirks and private concerns and sartorial choices and stuff having nothing to do with his skating. I mostly parody that, but care less who loves or hates Johnny. And, of course, Johnny was never a favorite of judges. He always had to earn marks the hard way, as do most skaters.

I don't care who loves or hates Patrick Chan either. I think many fans mostly hate the uneven judging under CoP that has too often rewarded one particular skater with wins for mistake-filled programs. Sure that's happened on many occasions in this sport in regard to other skaters, but I believe Patrick Chan has the honor or the ignominy of being the record-setter in that regard. Of course Chan has nothing to do with judges' decisions, but he's certainly benefited by those decisions. We all have our burdens to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Save the whole propping up of Ten at the expense of Chan to make a dig at me. I'm not a Chan fan; I'm fairly unmoved by his skating and I don't like that he's won another WC with such glaring mistakes. I just couldn't let that hypocritical and gag-worthy statement of yours pass without comment.

As I said, touche, mrinalini! And congratulations, I guess, on not being a Chan fan. Forgive me for mistaking you for being one. Dare I suggest that you might not be a Kwan fan either?

Denis Ten needs no "propping up" btw, from anyone. I thought Ten's marks in the sp were nearly as ridiculous as Chan's. Both skated beautifully in the sp and deserved their placements, but marks under quad-required CoP are so wildly fluctuating and ridiculous and debatable from event to event. To me sprinklings of 6.0s or straight 5.9s are much more exciting to see than head-scratching 98+ or 91+.

And the endless waiting, the confused looks, the double and triple takes, nodding, and shrugging that goes on in the kiss 'n cry is sometimes laughable, although there are some endearing moments, but too few and far between. I'd say Max Aaron's and Denis Ten's reactions in kiss 'n cry were kind of endearing, and not a whit dopey, but there are probably plenty of people who disagree.

vCash
    aftershocks -- I wasn't being loopy with my comment on the apparent friendship between the two skaters. I thought it was nice and considering all the garbage that is spewed around here about Patrick said this and Patrick said that and yadda yadda yadda, I thought it refreshing to hear something positive. You have a problem with me expressing such, that's your prerogative. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Sure professordeb, it's always nice to hear that skaters get along. Like I said, I think most skaters do, as they know how difficult it is to be a figure skater and they share that experience. I get why what Patrick said means something to you. My reaction is not "awww...," but we're two different people. Of course, I'm not telling you not to have that reaction, simply stating that my reaction is different.

IMO, Patrick might be a steadier and an even more amazing skater today had the judges not decided to over-reward him on one too many occasions. It is what it is, and he can't do anything about it but continue to work hard and try to keep focusing on what he needs to do to challenge himself and to work out the kinks. The judges are always telling him, "You're pretty perfect, Patrick, and you have a huge margin for error." I personally don't think that's helpful for Patrick, but that's just my take. He seems quite a wonderful young man, and that's probably why other skaters like him. But I don't think these type of controversial scoring and wins do much for the sport, and it generates negativity toward Patrick which is unfair to him.

Skaters look at each other and understand that the scoring can sometimes be wacky and clueless, but they just shrug their shoulders because they have no voice. They all have to accept whatever the judges mete out. All the skaters respect Patrick for his very real and extraordinary talent, and for the amazing hardworking person that he is, and it's just truly a shame that his legacy as a skater has been tainted by these judging controversies and the necessity so many of his fans feel to justify some of the OTT scores.

Yu Na showed tonight what it truly means to win a World championship. Patrick showed what it meant, in 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    aftershocks -- I wasn't being loopy with my comment on the apparent friendship between the two skaters. I thought it was nice and considering all the garbage that is spewed around here about Patrick said this and Patrick said that and yadda yadda yadda, I thought it refreshing to hear something positive. You have a problem with me expressing such, that's your prerogative. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I wish people would focus on the fact that it is the judges who have created any "Chanflation" and not Patrick himself. Of course everyone says, "I know that!" but many do not act like they know that. It's as if Patrick was personally responsible for making the marks on the score sheet in his favor. Write about the judges and complain about them! This is what we get with COP, and I'm not knocking it. But the sum total of his two programs totalled up better than anyone else's, evidently.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast