vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Has he not heard of "the curse"?
    Though the curse did seem to mostly apply to Canadian men:
    Orser - WC 1987
    Browning - WC 1991
    Browning - WC 1993
    Stojko - WC 1997

... Evan broke the curse at the last Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Though the curse did seem to mostly apply to Canadian men:

... Evan broke the curse at the last Olympics.
    It wasn't just Canadians until Evan broke the curse, It was all the Worlds/Olympics from 87/88 to 2005/06 - Plushenko/Yagudin 2001/2002; Lambiel/Plushenko 05/06.

vCash
    If a strong psyche is his goal, a psychiatrist or psychologist would serve him better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    OMG! OMG!

Abbott and Massimo!!!!!! *faints*

Skating's true power couple.
    mmmm I definitely agree! I didn't know that was such public knowledge!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Is he really training hard and being very consistent most of the time in practice though (I don't disprove what arakwafan2006 has said but it's just one practice session that he/she has seen)? Weren't there some reports of him being booted by Krall because of not working hard enough and doing what he was told to? Or did I remember that wrong?
    During the lead-up to Worlds 2012, Krall stated that Chan was having issues staying motivated during practice. He has admitted he was thinking about quitting at this point. Before Nice, I believe he had made his decision to promote Johnson to his full time coach (up until this point, she was an instructor. He had been working with her for at least a season) and downgrade Krall to instructor. Krall offered her full resignation, though, which Chan accepted (of course). (Source, with comments from Krall)

That Chan's landing all the jumps in practice startles me, because before he actually struggled more in practices than he did in competitions (something Kurt Browning stated repeatedly).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    The only thing that is "clear" as you put it is that you dont understand the connection that a strong psyche has with competition. Also, believe me, i just wanted him train recently and there is no such thing as him missing a jump in practice. He skates the WHOLE entire surface and garners the applause of not only the other skaters on his session ( who all seem to LOVE HIM) but also coaches like Tarasova. What's CLEAR is that his deal is mental NOT technical.
    I'm no tech expert but I do know one thing I've heard is that practice is always easier than competition. I.e skaters can get away with some technical issues in practice when the pressure is off. But then when the pressure is on, the technical flaws come out.....A coach who knows his/her stuff can see things even in landed jumps that may pay off later...

I just can't help having shades of Kwan here,. Patrick may win this year but I really DON'T think this has been the wisest of training plans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    mmmm I definitely agree! I didn't know that was such public knowledge!

You mean I just outed them?

My bad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    If a strong psyche is his goal, a psychiatrist or psychologist would serve him better.
    A psychologist, not a psychiatrist. Big difference.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Not much wrong with his reboot, I think...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Yeah, really. Seems to be working so far. :knocks on wood: don't want to jinx him
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    ^^ What could possibly jinx Patrick with 98+ points in the sp and his biggest rival some 14 points behind in 4th place, not to mention would-be rivals Fernandez and Hanyu even further behind and seemingly for all intents and purposes out of striking range? Denis Ten skated out of this world, but he has to do that again and absolutely cleanly just to stay on the podium -- forget about any notion of Ten challenging Patrick for gold. Even should Chan's countryman, new quad king Reynolds, land his king-making 3 quads in the fp, he's not exactly gonna make Patrick quake in his skateboots, now is he?

Chan fans are always so nervous. Chan is bagging 3 straight World championship gold medals and a possible Olympic gold (with Olympic podium at the least a sure bet), but there will apparently still be agonizing from Chan fans all the way up to Sochi and beyond.

Guess Patrick discovered some nice home-cooking in Detroit. Kathy Johnson is Chan's artistic guru and she ain't going nowhere all you who've been clamoring for Patrick to retain a "real coach."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Not much wrong with his reboot, I think...
    I am not so sure. He has skated very well but the 4toe and 3axel were a little iffy. It probably were nerves but that doesn't help the 'he's losing his jump technique' conspiracy theory.

vCash
    I am not so sure. He has skated very well but the 4toe and 3axel were a little iffy. It probably were nerves but that doesn't help the 'he's losing his jump technique' conspiracy theory.
    All his 4toe's under Christy Krall were not picture perfect. Nor were all his triple axels, so I don't know what to say.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    If he's losing his technique then the practices would be rough too. Doesn't sound like this is the case.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Detroit Free Press article by Jeff Seidel: Detroit elevates Patrick Chan to figure skating record
    "It can be a real lonely place, if you are preparing for Worlds or the Olympics, if you are the only person preparing from your place," said Jerod Swallow, managing director of the Detroit Skating Club. "In this case, there were multiple skaters preparing and there is a sense that 'I'm not alone, I'm going through this daily drudgery with people who understand.' "

Chan found a place where everybody supported one another. When he landed a jump, skaters would clap and yell or bang on the boards. "And I'd do the same for them," he said.

Every day, Chan trained with Jeremy Abbott, an American who failed to qualify for the World Championships. "You would think that we don't like each other," Chan said. "But we get along really well."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Detroit Free Press article by Jeff Seidel: Detroit elevates Patrick Chan to figure skating record
    Awwww, I like what Patrick said about Jeremy. And as for the banging on the boards -- sounds like what I see happening at hockey and lacrosse games all the time after a good hit or tilt -- or a goal scored! Sounds like this could be a great place for Patrick to train for next season. Anyone else agreed?
    Crazy about sports!

Blergh
    vCash
    Well...what do you guys think about his coaching situation now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Evan broke the curse at the last Olympics.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalamalka View Post
    It wasn't just Canadians until Evan broke the curse, It was all the Worlds/Olympics from 87/88 to 2005/06 - Plushenko/Yagudin 2001/2002; Lambiel/Plushenko 05/06.
    Evan didn't break the curse -- there's an exception in the curse rules for American men. As Scott Hamilton pointed out in 2010, every US guy who has gone to the Olympics as reigning World champion has won the Olympic Games
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I'm not sure screwing up 4 out of 8 jumping passes is a real testament to Kathy Johnson's coaching ability

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Reboot was not sufficient. Needs installation of major parts. Like, a coach.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast