Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Patrick Chan reboots in Calgary and at Detroit SC

"Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oh man, couldn't you see him training in Detroit for next season. That could be TOTALLY awesome, I think. He's living with Kaitlyn and Andrew and having fun. Yeppers, having fun can relax you and allow you to train well, I would think?
    Crazy about sports!

Quadless
    vCash
    After returning from the Grand Prix Final, Chan reported stomach problems caused by greasy local food.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    The Princess and the Pea.

vCash
    When I first read that he was considering a move to Detroit after worlds, I wondered if he would change coaches again, but it sounds like his coach would move too.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Oh, that's what it was at Skate Canada, unfamiliar food and surroundings

vCash
    Something TOLD ME to stop by

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Must one own steel-toed boots to attend this thread? Or can anyone partake?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Must one own steel-toed boots to attend this thread? Or can anyone partake?
    'You're a slut and I hate you' (said Sylvia Night). Does that answer your question? Bitch. *Lv4 bitchface at you*

vCash
    Chan had better think about his coaching situation for next year. Having someone who's not even a former skater as your coach is not a good thing to have going into an Olympic year. At the very least he needs a jump coach because his jumps are getting sloppy and Kathy Johnson is not qualified to help him with that.

vCash
    Photos of the many visiting international skaters, including Chan, currently training at Detroit SC, posted on IFS' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0292537&type=1

Chan's 3Lz+3T in a SP run through at DSC on March 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnT46WPzK8w
    This "Russian quad" (4T+1T) is from Maxim Kovtun's FS run through on the same day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYHOoTr0Usc
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Perplexed? Why are Tarosova and Kovtun there?

vCash
    Some of the Russian and French skaters are training at DSC before Worlds.

vCash
    Is this common practice? It just strikes me as strange. Are the skaters that regularly train there given a voice in the matter (do you mind if x and x come train here before worlds?) or is it dictatorial? And is there a bi-lateral agreement with Russia that our skaters can do the same (although i can think of few reasons they would want to, except maybe Johnny lol)?

vCash
    Well, U.S. rinks's freestyle sessions are open to everyone (qualified by level). Coaches need permission from the rink to teach for a fee. But I think it is pretty common. I remember for the 2009 World Championships in LA, the entire French team came down to San Diego to train beforehand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Is this common practice? It just strikes me as strange. Are the skaters that regularly train there given a voice in the matter (do you mind if x and x come train here before worlds?) or is it dictatorial? And is there a bi-lateral agreement with Russia that our skaters can do the same (although i can think of few reasons they would want to, except maybe Johnny lol)?

Ice rinks in the US are private facilities. As long as you pay, you can use them.

vCash
    Another issue is Kathy Johnson's certification. Does she have any accreditation with Skate Canada? Has she been given any automatically by virtue of her working with Patrick? Because in Canada, you must have some sort of certification with Skate Canada to coach at a club. You technically aren't even supposed to have non-skating choreographers coaching you on the ice, like even having a ballerina come in a correct your posture. Doesn't mean it's not done, but by the actual rules it's not supposed to be. Now, I think it's a bit absurd but those are the rules. In the US, it's much much easier in that regard. That's probably why Patrick is in Detroit, not London or Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Ice rinks in the US are private facilities. As long as you pay, you can use them.
    Undoubtedly true of this rink, but there are a number of publicly owned (usually municipal) and operated rinks in the United States. Google: publicly owned and operated ice skating rinks in the United States.

vCash
    From the DSC web site: "The Detroit Skating Club is one of only a handful of clubs in the United States that owns and operates its own facility. The club is totally managed by the member elected Board of Directors."

Jerod Swallow is the Managing Director of DSC and should be the one who authorizes who can utilize DSC ice as visiting skaters, coaches and/or choreographers, including the fees they must pay.

ETA link to more photos of the visiting and resident skaters at Detroit SC before Worlds: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=42499144
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    You know what? It would be really nice to win a world championships going into the Olympics,’” Chan said. “For me, winning the world championships this year would be great going into the Olympic Games
    Has he not heard of "the curse"?
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast