Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Thanks to the person who uploaded the documentary so quickly!
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpssaVoGTE
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHI14wMLxc
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0lDeJOr_o
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I really enjoyed the documentary, though I agree it would have been nice if it was longer and a bit more in depth.

I especially enjoyed the back stage footage of the skaters with their coaches. As a skating parent, I thought I knew a fair bit about skating, but that's an area I've never been exposed to. The glimpses of Patrick playing cards with Kristy Krall and her telling him a joke, after his comments that as a singles skater he sometimes gets too much into his head, were very endearing.

I have met Paige and Rudi in person a few times and think they're great kids, and this documentary only cemented that for me. Paige's comments after their skate in Moncton were about on par with what I've seen of skaters I know. They tend to be very hard on themselves. Third in Canada is nothing to sneeze at. I hope in the long run they're very proud of themselves!

It was quite interesting to see the contrast between training alongside your closest rivals and training in isolation. The inside look at the Zoueva camp was fascinating. I've always thought it would be fun to go watch one of their sessions. Thanks to this show, I was able to do it from the comfort of my home!

I definitely think it's worth a watch. I actually watched it twice!

vCash
    I wasn't particularly impressed. Perhaps since I don't feel like I learned anything new about the skaters or the sport that I didn't already know, perhaps because most of it was from over a year ago with only a hasty reference to Patrick's split with Kristy. Mostly probably because I don't think I was the target audience - at least I hope I wasn't. I hope it was aimed at the casual or the potential fan.

vCash
    It was actually quite boring. And dated. Shot at the high performance camp two summers ago. CBC must not have thought much about the footage if they sat on it. Production budget was clearly quite low, too because they didn't follow any skaters around. Shot it around a camp which was either in Toronto or Vancouver and then some DSC. Too bad all the shots of fans are female. Just reinforces stereotypes. Skate Canada should have gotten more involved in creative direction because this could have doubled as a great marketing tool for them.

Overall though it was too over the map. I would have made the whole point to be about how tough the sport is in an effort to broaden the audience beyond middle aged women. Paint these skaters as athletes. Show more of their training regimen and types of injuries. Don't go off tangent and get into the scoring system, but maybe only talk about it in the context of things like levels that are related to upping the difficulty and pushing boundaries, etc.
    Producers just weren't clear on what they wanted this thing to be.

vCash
    Thank you for posting the links. I found the documentary interesting, but not terribly enlightening. However, I was glad I got a chance to see it.

vCash
    Interview with the filmmakers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYphK...ature=youtu.be

Overall I enjoyed the show, but found it a bit choppy as Rock2 pointed out. Possibly the choppiness is due to Holmes being a devoted skating fan while McNamara is not? In particular, I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at what goes on at the High Performance camp.

Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    I did enjoy Lawrence/Swiegers and find them just charming. Lawrence is a gem. Would have loved to see more of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    I have met Paige and Rudi in person a few times and think they're great kids, and this documentary only cemented that for me. Paige's comments after their skate in Moncton were about on par with what I've seen of skaters I know. They tend to be very hard on themselves. Third in Canada is nothing to sneeze at. I hope in the long run they're very proud of themselves!
    No big secret, I totally adore these two. They did a fair bit of filming with them at nats last year that I don’t recall being shown, so I gather a lot of the footage ended up on the cutting room floor. My love and respect for Paige continues to grow – “by we he means me”. She is so very hard on herself. And very brave as well. My hat is off to her for even being willing to try the 3twist again after suffering a concussion when Rudi fell and missed the catch. Pair girls are incredibly tough athletes.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    I was upset to learn about Paige's concussion, and that she was allowed to skate so soon afterwards. IMO it should have been her doctor's decision to make, not hers. Perhaps their poor showing in the past year is related to the fact that she did not allow enough time for her brain to heal after the concussion.

I did enjoy seeing other skaters at the 2011 Canadians, that was a treat. Patrick and V/M are such media pros that they would never give anything away, and the doc didn't really attempt to probe very much.
    Still, if it gave new fans an insight into the world of competitive skating, so much the better.

And yes, I think Patrick was well off with KKrall. I will watch him at World with great trepidation.

INTJ
    vCash
    I was screaming at the TV when Paige said she skated anyway! I'm only 27 and because of multiple concussions I didn't take care of as a child/teen (3 from skating) I'm having major, probably permanent issues. Not worth it.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash

Ice, Sweat & Tears - CBC TV - March 7th

Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I was screaming at the TV when Paige said she skated anyway! I'm only 27 and because of multiple concussions I didn't take care of as a child/teen (3 from skating) I'm having major, probably permanent issues. Not worth it.
    When they mentioned the concussion, I was thinking of Natasha Richardson (she played the mother in the Lindsay Lohan movie, The Parent Trap). She suffered a concussion after falling during a ski lesson at Mont Tremblant/Quebec, while her husband Liam Neeson was filming in the Toronto area. At first she didn't want to see a doctor, and ended up in a coma and death.

My Niece suffered a concussion during a rugby game. Her team coach noticed something was wrong, and stopped the game. She was sent home with her mom, who took her to the hospital for an examination.

Athletes train most of their lives to compete, and will push themselves beyond what normal people would tolerate. Unfortunately, they may at times ignore risks for the sake of competition. This ties into the recent discussions about rules concerning the necessity to stop competitions when there is a risk of injury. If there is danger, will the athletes continue to push on despite the risks?
    Last edited by rvi5; 03-11-2013 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks to the person who uploaded the documentary so quickly!
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpssaVoGTE
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHI14wMLxc
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0lDeJOr_o
    I am too late. These links do not work anymore. Are there any out there where I can still watch the documentary please?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I am too late. These links do not work anymore. Are there any out there where I can still watch the documentary please?
    The CBC.ca site still has some material, but it is not available outside Canada. Maybe you can find a way around?

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/ic...and-tears.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12