Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'd love to see a properly Hollywood-dramatized version of Plushenko-Yagudin rivalry. Or a documentary/TV series following skaters around for a season, showing how hard the work is.

I'll tell you why Hollywood can't get it right: because in modern times it's become unacceptable to support the notion of realistic thinking. It's become unacceptable to turn to a seventeen year old beginner who says they'll make the next Olympics and say: no, you won't. Even thinking such a thing has you branded mean and nasty. It's become unacceptable to introduce the idea to kids that no, you CAN'T have everything! Every kiddie must win a prize; you can't ever suggest to a kid that maybe the Olympics is not a realistic dream for them, because ~anything is possible if you dream hard enough~!. You can't ever point out that Ice Princess was stupidly unrealistic to the point of being offensive; if you do, you're told "who cares, it's just a stupid movie" in the same breath as you're told "I'm going to be just like the girl in Ice Princess".

And even when the kids do get on the ice, it's considered unacceptable in the Western world to tell a seven year old who bursts into tears every time they fall over: "Get up". You're branded horrible and nasty and cruel, and of course it's better to just pick up the child and coddle her and carry her off the ice, instead of making her get up and do the element again.

Society is losing the notion that it's hard work that gets results, not dreams. And that's why we'll never have a major Hollywood figure skating movie that is at all realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I would like to see a tongue-in-cheek but knowing send up of ice dance, in the vein of Strictly Ballroom. They could pretty much hit on most of the skating movie tropes... the crazy costumes, Russian diva coaches, ridiculous programs, on ice romances. I mean pretty much take the training rink of G&P/K&O in the 90s, B&A/D&S in the 2000s, or D&W/V&M currently and you have a movie. Fedor Andreev would be a great character... the coaches' son who sleeps with all her students. Or Morozov.
    Loved "Strictly Ballroom." I don't think it required any knowledge of ballroom dancing/that whole scene to enjoy it. I know nothing; I thought it was hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    It seems as if the most successful sports related movies, from "Knute Rockne: All American" to "The Blindside" to "Brian's Song" are biopics about either larger than life, iconoclast figures in the sport, or about people who have overcome tremendous odds to achieve success in their sport (and sometimes both). I think a successful skating movie would might be able to utilize this same formula. Just off the top of my head, John Curry's life story (if well done) would make an great topic for a biopic.
    Well. . . there *is* Scott Hamilton. There are also various skaters with more minor disabilities that they had to overcome--someone lost half a foot to a lawnmower or something, and Kristi Yamaguchi had club feet when she was born.

Also loved "Shall We Dance?" (the original Japanese version from 1996, not the stupid American remake with Richard Gere of all people). Such a sweet movie, and gently hilarious.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post

There are also various skaters with more minor disabilities that they had to overcome--someone lost half a foot to a lawnmower or something, and Kristi Yamaguchi had club feet when she was born.
    Elene Zayak.

vCash
    I think it needs to be a skating combined with boxing movie. As much as I hate boxing as a sport, it has lent itself to some really brilliant movies.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I think it needs to be a skating combined with boxing movie. As much as I hate boxing as a sport, it has lent itself to some really brilliant movies.
    Rocky Balboa marries a figure skater and their son rejects his daddy's favorite sport.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Oh, I was thinking...what's really hot right now? Serial killers and zombies and vampires...... Now, I could definitely see a script around a serial killer knocking off the competition (or their coaches) but I think we're all getting tired of serial killers. Very overdone. Zombies just don't work because they are just plain ugly, and skaters are all beautiful in their own way-right? or they create beauty. Vampire Skaters....yes! Nothing like sucking out a little of your competitors blood just before a comp to weaken them enough into losing....And vampires are all beautiful-right? I bet Plushenko is a vampire. That's how he's managed to stay around so long. I bet he bit that poor boy Artur right before the start of the season, and probably Menshov too. I bet Mishkin is a vampire too. He's the one who made Plushy one, but Yagudin refused to suck Mishin's blood to become a vamp, and that's why he left. I think I like it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Oh, I was thinking...what's really hot right now? Serial killers and zombies and vampires...... Now, I could definitely see a script around a serial killer knocking off the competition (or their coaches) but I think we're all getting tired of serial killers. Very overdone. Zombies just don't work because they are just plain ugly, and skaters are all beautiful in their own way-right? or they create beauty. Vampire Skaters....yes! Nothing like sucking out a little of your competitors blood just before a comp to weaken them enough into losing....And vampires are all beautiful-right? I bet Plushenko is a vampire. That's how he's managed to stay around so long. I bet he bit that poor boy Artur right before the start of the season, and probably Menshov too. I bet Mishkin is a vampire too. He's the one who made Plushy one, but Yagudin refused to suck Mishin's blood to become a vamp, and that's why he left. I think I like it!
    I've always thought it was suspicious how the Russian men all look so much alike...pale and beautiful...you might be onto something here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I've always thought it was suspicious how the Russian men all look so much alike...pale and beautiful...you might be onto something here

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjHRC5iO7fE Ice Castles 1978 ????? I found it on Youtube. This story doesn't seem too smart...
    Last edited by lala; 03-02-2013 at 08:05 AM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Ice Castles is about a girl who can already skate at a high level, then goes blind, and returns to skating. It sounded like the story Plushy was telling was about a girl who had never skated and couldn't walk, then learns to walk and skate well enough to compete internationally, which is a bit over the top. It would make more sense to have a skater who was injured badly and couldn't walk learn to skate again... actually isn't that pretty much what happened with Elena and Anton? She had to learn to walk and speak again after her brain injury, and within two years they were World champions, and they had a romance at the time as well. That would make a great movie.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Cutting Edge is the best movie as far as an actual story. The Tonya and Nancy TV movie was also a pretty good movie (really!) I have an internet copy because it was never made available for sale.

It would be nice if skating movies were realistic in that they didn't show "cutaways" during the middle of jumps to make a double look like a quadruple.

Also it would be nice if they stopped showing skaters "competing" under spotlights.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjHRC5iO7fE Ice Castles 1978 ????? I found it on Youtube. This story doesn't seem too smart...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Ice Castles is about a girl who can already skate at a high level, then goes blind, and returns to skating. It sounded like the story Plushy was telling was about a girl who had never skated and couldn't walk, then learns to walk and skate well enough to compete internationally, which is a bit over the top.
    Unwatchable.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I think the aftermath of the 1961 plane crash could make for a compelling story. Yes, the USFS did their documentary ("Rise") on it, but it's the kind of plot which would work well for a feature as well.

I think someone could easily make a documentary about some of the more colorful people who attend skating comps as well. Who says it all has to be about the skaters? We FSU-ers are an interesting bunch!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    As much as I like Ice Castles, I still can't get over someone going blind by crashing into garden furniture.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I think someone could easily make a documentary about some of the more colorful people who attend skating comps as well. Who says it all has to be about the skaters? We FSU-ers are an interesting bunch!
    "Lobbychicks - The Motion Picture".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    "Lobbychicks - The Motion Picture".
    Time for a murder mystery? "Death of a Lobbychick"?

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I'm still holding out for vampires. Preferably Russian. Pale and beautiful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I'm still holding out for vampires. Preferably Russian. Pale and beautiful.
    It just occurred to me that Artur Gachinski's long program last season (that he used this season too) was "The Demon", including cuts from "Interview With A Vampire".

vCash
    I know we are joking here, and some of this is wildly funny, but if you had to make a serious (NOT "Ice Castle" melodramatic) figure skating movie...what would it be about and could it be done? How would you make it "box office"?

vCash
    "Box office" would probably mean either comedy or action/adventure. Could a skating movie be made in either of those genres that would portray the skating aspects realistically?

The other possibility would be a more typical triumph-over-adversity sports story, which is a subset of melodrama but not necessarily over the top.

Something like The Cutting Edge was both romantic comedy and sports triumph in structure. That was popular enough to spawn sequels. Could it be done more realistically?

I'm not really joking when I suggest a murder mystery. That would allow for drama and a reason to watch for plot even for audiences who aren't interested in figure skating per se. But there could be enough of interest about the skating process to make the casual viewers learn more and maybe want to seek out skating itself.

Another possibility would be soapy but not too over-the-top (i.e., still realistic) comedy set at a training rink, so there could be some good skaters doing good skating and also acknowledgment of the average skaters, which would be realistic. Maybe lots of partner switching both romantically and in dance or pair teams, to generate conflict and intrigue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    ...Another possibility would be soapy but not too over-the-top (i.e., still realistic) comedy set at a training rink, so there could be some good skaters doing good skating and also acknowledgment of the average skaters, which would be realistic. Maybe lots of partner switching both romantically and in dance or pair teams, to generate conflict and intrigue.
    Sounds similar in concept (although a drama, not comedy) to the Gymnastics TV series "Make it or Break it" (2009-2012).
    Last edited by rvi5; 03-04-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast