Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Yes I saw her documentary. What a woman. I love her and if anyone gets offended by Joan (to the point of bringing up how offended they were) they obviously don't know Joan's humour. Personally I get more offended by watching the stupid news readers at Fox.
    Last edited by Ozzisk8tr; 03-01-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I am a Jew from Russia, with every member of the family being a victim in one way or the other of WWII, Babii-Yar, Holocaust, and Leningrad Siege... I am fine with this joke, on behalf of my family and other Jews. The more I think and hear about Holocaust and last 3500+ years of Jewish struggle - the better I do in life and the more effort I put into accomplishments.

On the other hand - Poor Heidi.. She is the "good German" who went out of her way to marry every ethnic minority she could find, and the uglier the better...

But on the other hand..... while I think Germany is the best and most functional country in the EU today, I LOVE IT when someone still "sticks it" to the Germans... "You started it!"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

vCash
    I did find joke offensive. Plus, it was not very funny. Joan Rivers can do better than that. The pun on hot didn't work IMO.

I found the boobs song offensive, too. So many movies include a mandatory gratuitous boob shot in the mandatory sex scene. And the more an actress gets paid, the more choice she has about nudity.

Good for Jennifer Lawrence, though, when she shook a fist at the line 'we haven't seen Jennifer Lawrence's boobs at all'.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Um, Japanfan, Jennifer Lawrence's and other actresses' reactions were pre-taped. As in, they were in on the joke. And Jennifer Lawrence pumped her fist, not shook it.

This is what she had to say about the song:
    At least one person found the humor in MacFarlane's opening skit: Best Actress in a Leading Role winner Jennifer Lawrence, 22. "I loved the boob song," the Silver Linings Playbook star told reporters after her big win. "I thought [Seth MacFarlane] was great!"
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 03-01-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I would have never said anything like that but I think that the fact Rivers is Jewish herself means she can get away with it. I don't think she has anything to apologise for, to be honest.
    Do you also think a black person in the USA has the "right" to use the n-word "because they're black"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Ziggy got it right IMO: I wasn't offended mostly because she is Jewish. And because it's her thing to shock. Le shrug. Perhaps it's my Russian cultural background--we laugh at the most horrible things.

Since PRLady mentioned, "We Saw Your Boobs" is such an earworm! Must be MacFarlane's fine singing.
    I found it tacky even from Joan, but I blame that on my being Russian and Jewish.

I appreciate much of what Rivers has done and the doors she opened, but I don't offer her a free pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Do you also think a black person in the USA has the "right" to use the n-word "because they're black"?
    They don't. Being a black person myself, I cringe when I hear other blacks use the word. But no one is off the hook for using it, even if they hear "other blacks" saying the word.

I guess Joan has always shocked people. Thank God they didn't let her use that Michelle Obama joke. I also remember her getting booed for making jokes about Karen Carpenter after she died.

I briefly dated one of Melissa's professors at UofP. He said she was a nasty piece of work - very bitter, slightly paranoid and was quite angry at Edgar for killing himself. But some of the funniest comedians are not pleasant people to deal with when the cameras are off. Joan's not really much different.

vCash
    I used to like Joan Rivers. I found her edgy humour funny and I share her interest in jewellery, particularly its history. I watched the Fashion Police show and found her humour very stale. If you want edgy, Tinami Amori's comment on Heidi Klum fits the bill! Joan should have taken that joke! I found there was very little to laugh at during either Joan's show or the Academy Awards. The so-called "humour" was, to me, just nasty snark. Sadly, that is what passes for humour in our culture these days. There is no way that Ellen D. could host the Oscars again; her humour would be considered boring because she doesn't bash people. I'm so grateful for Big Bang Theory and 30 Rock where the humour is more sophisticated.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Tinami's back!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Joan's show or the Academy Awards. The so-called "humour" was, to me, just nasty snark. Sadly, that is what passes for humour in our culture these days.
    A lot of Joan's "jokes" should be classified as bullying by today's standard of what constitute bullying, but because she's a comedienne she get a pass for it. Her brand of humor is all about being nasty and mean-spirited. Anyone today can get onto the stage and get laugh by simply uttering the F word.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Yes, actually. It still makes me cringe because I was raised that that is a nasty word that no decent person uses. But people have the right to call themselves that they want.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Tinami's back!
    I'll get the Preparation H.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    No. She doesn't get a pass for being Jewish. It would have been stupid and offensive no matter who said it.
    I thought that Jewish people were all about self-deprecating humour. The worst holocaust jokes that I heard came from my Jewish friends.

Yes, I do. I am all for reclaiming the insults. I am gay and I use the word faggot a lot. But you're not allowed to use it.

Well, I do understand that it's very problematic and very likely counter-productive but for me it's about refusal to be bullied by homophobes.

vCash
    Just listen to any comedy routine by Chris Rock. He uses every black racial slur in the book, and while his style of humor is not for everyone, he certainly has the right to say what he does. I think he makes fun of blacks and whites equally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    I watched the Fashion Police show and found her humour very stale.
    When I think of people whose aesthetic opinions would carry weight, Joan Rivers does not come to mind.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Joan Rivers is soooo last decade.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Not according to ratings. "Fashion police" is on an "upward trajectory."
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Not according to ratings. "Fashion police" is on an "upward trajectory."
    Among a certain viewing faction. The same folk that buy the Enquirer, IME.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I buy the Enquirer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    The Enquirer is struggling, unlike Fashion Police.

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast