View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 38.89%
  • Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 9.26%
  • March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 11.11%
  • March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 18.52%
  • April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 7.41%
  • April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 7.41%
  • April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 11.11%
  • April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 5.56%
  • May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 46.30%
  • Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 48.15%
  • Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 64.81%
  • May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ I thought the first one was okay, the 2nd one quite a bit better (just because their characters, being older and having lived more, were far more interesting). So if the third one goes on the same trajectory ...

vCash
    I saw trailers for Sightseers and the Wikileaks doc the last time I was in a theatre, and put them both on my mental list at the time.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just finished a pretty good movie called Island On Bird Street. It features Patrick Bergin and Jack Warden. It's about a 12 year old boy during World War II who is basically left on his own in an abandoned Jewish ghetto. I had told myself a while back not to watch any more Holocaust movies (I've seen so many), but this was on my To See list and I had forgotten what it was about. I believe it was based on a book written by the boy who the movie was about and was written for youth, so it's not as heavy as some Holocaust movies. I recommend it, specifically for seeing the resilience of youth in horrible circumstances. As one person posted on the imdb message boards, this movie tells the flip side of stories like Anne Frank's.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Okay, busy slate coming up.

Next week, I have "After Earth," followed by "Man of Steel."

Mid June is "Lone Ranger," followed by "World War Z."

Tell me which films you're most interested in, and I'll post my thoughts. The latter two are apparently not great, so the studios are trying to get some buzz out there.

vCash
    I'm the most curious about World War Z, even though I'm feeling pretty blah about Brad Pitt (my eyeballs might just roll right out of their sockets if he ends up saving the world by sacrificing himself). I guess I should be curious about Man of Steel, but Superman has never really captured my imagination. I hope that might change with this film, though.

I want to be interested in After Earth, because animals roaming free in abandoned cities is awesome, but I'm getting a bit sick of the whole "last man/men on Earth" thing. When do we get to see a film about the last woman on Earth? Do I really have to write it myself?
    That's also why I'm on the fence about seeing Oblivion, even though I'd really like to hit the theatre this weekend and that's the only interesting-looking film showing that I haven't already seen.

I'm not touching The Lone Ranger with a 10-foot pole. Johnny Depp as a Native American? Really?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    Do I really have to write it myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    Johnny Depp as a Native American? Really?
    From ethnicelebs.com:

Johnny’s nine times great-grandmother, Nicketti Opechancanough, was of Powhatan Native American ancestry, making Johnny of 1/2048 Powhatan Native American descent.(1)

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Okay, busy slate coming up.

Next week, I have "After Earth," followed by "Man of Steel."

Mid June is "Lone Ranger," followed by "World War Z."

Tell me which films you're most interested in, and I'll post my thoughts. The latter two are apparently not great, so the studios are trying to get some buzz out there.
    Man of Steel for me!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    This is a list of movies in an article from Entertainment Weekly a little while back. Which of these have you seen? Do you agree that these are movies we all should see?

The 50 Best Movies You’ve Never Seen

24 Hour Party People (2002 biographical comedy drama with Steve Coogan, Shirley Henderson, Andy Serkis and Paddy Considine)

Backbeat (1994 musical drama with Stephen Dorff, Ian Hart, Sheryl Lee and Jennifer Ehle)

Bamboozled (2000 musical comedy drama with Damon Wayans, Savion Glover, Jada Pinkett Smith, Michael Rapaport and Mos Def)

Box Of Moonlight (1997 comedy drama with John Turturro, Catherine Keener, Dermot Mulroney and Sam Rockwell)

Broken English (2007 romantic comedy drama with Parker Posey, Drea de Matteo, Gena Rowlands and Justin Theroux)

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002 fantasy horror-comedy with Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis)

The Century of the Self (2005 documentary. From Wikipedia: "The Century of the Self is an award-winning British television documentary series by Adam Curtis. It focuses on how the work of Sigmund Freud, Anna Freud, and Edward Bernays influenced the way corporations and governments have analyzed,* dealt with, and controlled ‬people.")

Chuck and Buck (2000 comedy drama with Mike White and Maya Rudolph)

Cold Comfort Farm (1995 romantic comedy with Kate Beckinsale, Stephen Fry, Ian McKellen, Rufus Sewell and Joanna Lumley)

The Daytrippers (1996 comedy with Hope Davis and Stanley Tucci)

Devil's Playground (2002 documentary. From imdb.com: "Amish teenagers experience and embrace the modern world as a rite-of-passage before deciding which life they will choose.")

DIG! (2004 rock documentary. From imdb.com: "A documentary on the once-promising American rock bands The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols, and the friendship/rivalry between their respective founders, Anton Newcombe and Courtney Taylor.")

Enter The Void (2009 fantasy drama. From imdb.com: "An American drug dealer living in Tokyo is betrayed by his best friend and killed in a drug deal gone bad. His soul, observing the repercussions of his death, seeks resurrection.")

Eve's Bayou (1997 drama with Samuel L. Jackson, Diahann Carroll, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Branford Marsalis, Debbi Morgan, Lynn Whitfield and Lisa Nicole Carson)

Fish Tank (2010 drama with Michael Fassbender)

Fly Away Home (1996 family drama with Anna Paquin, Dana Delany, Terry Kinney and Jeff Daniels)

George Washington (2000 drama. From imdb.com: "A delicately told and deceptively simple story of a group of children in a depressed small town who band together to cover up a tragic mistake.")

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999 crime drama with Forest Whitaker)

Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2010 family drama with Richard Gere, Joan Allen, Jason Alexander)

Happy Accidents (2000 sci-fi/romantic comedy with Vincent D’Onofrio and Maris Tomei)

Idiocracy (2006 adventure comedy sci-fi with Luke Wilson, Dax Shepard, Maya Rudolph and Justin Long)

The Iron Giant (1999 animated sci-fi fantasy with Jennifer Aniston, Harry Connick Jr., Vin Diesel, Cloris Leachman and M. Emmet Walsh)

I've Loved You So Long (2008 drama with Kristin Scott Thomas)

Last Night (2010 drama with Sam Worthington, Keira Knightley and Eva Mendes)

Layer Cake (2005 drama with Daniel Craig and Colm Meaney)

Lilya 4-Ever (2003 crime drama. From imdb.com: "Lilja is 16 years old. Her only friend is the young boy Volodja. They live in Estonia, fantasizing about a better life. One day, Lilja falls in love with Andrej. He is going to Sweden, and invites Lilja to come along and start a new life.")

Love and Basketball (2000 romantic drama with Omar Epps, Alfre Woodward, Debbi Morgan and Dennis Haysbert)

The Magdalene Sisters (2003 drama. From imdb.com: "Three young Irish women struggle to maintain their spirits while they endure dehumanizing abuse as inmates of a Magdalene Sisters Asylum.")

Marwencol (2010 biographical fantasy documentary. From imdb.com: "After a vicious attacks leaves him brain-damaged and broke, Mark Hogancamp seeks recovery in "Marwencol", a 1/6th scale World War II-era town he creates in his backyard.")

Memories of Murder (2005 Korean crime drama. From imdb.com: "In 1986, in the province of Gyunggi, in South Korea, a second young and beautiful woman is found dead, raped and tied and gagged with her underwear. Detective Park Doo-Man and Detective Cho Yong-koo, two brutal and stupid local detectives without any technique, investigate the murder using brutality and torturing the suspects, without any practical result...")

Moon (2009 sci-fi drama with Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey)

Murderball (2005 sports documentary. From imdb.com: "A film about paraplegics who play full-contact rugby in Mad Max-style wheelchairs - overcoming unimaginable obstacles to compete in the Paralympic Games in Athens, Greece.")

My Summer of Love (2004 romantic thriller with Emily Blunt and Paddy Considine)

Next Stop Wonderland (1998 romantic comedy with Hope Davis and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

The Orphanage (2007 mystery thriller. From imdb.com: "A woman brings her family back to her childhood home, where she opens an orphanage for handicapped children. Before long, her son starts to communicate with an invisible new friend.")

Perfect Blue (1997 animated horror mystery. From imdb.com: "A retired pop singer turned actress' sense of reality is shaken when she is stalked by an obsessed fan and seemingly a ghost of her past.")

Prime (2005 romantic comedy with Uma Thurman, Meryl Streep and Bryan Greenberg)

Primer (2004 sci-fi thriller. From imdb.com: "Four friends/fledgling entrepreneurs, knowing that there's something bigger and more innovative than the different error-checking devices they've built, wrestle over their new invention.")

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010 adventure fantasy horror. From imdb.com: "In the depths of the Korvatunturi mountains, 486 metres deep, lies the closest ever guarded secret of Christmas. The time has come to dig it up! This Christmas everyone will believe in Santa Claus.")

The Ref (1994 comedy crime drama with Denis Leary, Judy Davis, Kevin Spacey and Christine Baranski)

Rescue Dawn (2006 biographical adventure drama with Christian Bale and Steve Zahn _

The Rules of Attraction (2002 romantic comedy drama with James Van Der Beek, Jessica Biel, Kate Bosworth and Ian Somerhalder)

Safe Men (1998 crime comedy with Steve Zahn, Sam Rockwell, Mark Ruffalo and Paul Giamatti)

Smiley Face (2007 comedy with Anna Faris, John Krasinski, Adam Brody, Danny Masterson and Jane Lynch)

Surfwise (2007 sports documentary. From imdb.com: "Doug Pray explores the life of surfer Dorian "Doc" Paskowitz.")

Together (2000 romantic comedy drama. From imdb.com: "Elisabeth leaves her abusive and drunken husband Rolf, she packs her bags, takes the kids and goes to her brother Göran. The year is 1975 and Göran lives in a commune called Together. Living in this leftist commune are people between the ages of 25 and 35, along with their children...")

Two Family House (2000 drama. From imdb.com: "An unseen narrator looks back to 1956, on Staten Island, when Buddy, an Italian guy with big dreams, buys a house planning to live upstairs with his wife Estelle and run a bar downstairs.")

Walking and Talking (1996 romantic comedy with Catherine Keener, Live Schreiber, Vincent Pastore, Amy Braverman and Anne Heche)

Wendy and Lucy (2008 drama with Michelle Williams)

Wristcutters: A Love Story (2006 romantic comedy with Patrick Fugit [Almost Famous])

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Of these I have seen:

Bubba Ho-Tep
    Eve's Bayou
    Fish Tank
    Idiocracy
    Moon
    The Rules of Attraction

I feel like I should have seen Prime because Meryl Streep is in it. One day I plan on watching every movie she has ever been in. It is on my bucket list. I bet some of those other movies I have seen and just don't remember them. None of the ones I have seen were great but they weren't bad, either. I guess if they were so great then it wouldn't be on a list of movies that no one knows about.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Fly Away Home was okay -- a nice little feel-good movie, but I didn't find it particularly memorable. Wristcutters was flat-out depressing.

BTW, I saw What Maisie Knew today. Interesting movie, with a very good young actress at the heart of it. One of the most natural child actresses I've seen -- she came across like a real child you might run into on the street, not a little performer. Definitely worth a watch.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    My ratings for the movies I've seen from the above list:

9/10 - Prime – A lot of fun. Comeback time for Meryl, but the audience was a bit late in welcoming her back to the top.

9/10 – Moon – One that stays with you for quite a while. An interesting movie for sure.

9/10 - The Magdalene Sisters – Really harsh theme, but equally well-made.

9/10 - My Summer of Love – Welcome to the big screen, Emily Blunt.

9/10 - Layer Cake - Daniel Craig. ‘nuff said.

9/10 - Cold Comfort Farm – Fun stuff! I’m happy to spend any time I can with Joanna Lumley.

9/10 - I've Loved You So Long – Oscar worthy performance for Kristin Scott Thomas.

8/10 - Devil's Playground – a bit depressing, but worth watching.

8/10 - Rescue Dawn – Like “Prime”, this was a comeback film for Christian Bale but the audience was late to the party.

6/10 - Murderball – A well-made film, but I found it a downer in that handicapped people chose a violent pastime to get back into living their lives.

6/10 - Wendy and Lucy - Well-made, but bleak and seemingly lengthy.

I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen 24 Hour Party People, Chuck and Buck, Eve's Bayou, George Washington, The Orphanage…but after watching the trailers I still couldn’t remember enough about any of them to rate them. Not really a bad sign, probably more telling in regards to my memory!!

vCash
    Chuck and Buck is absolutely fantastic. Lupe Ontiveros (woman most famous for playing Selena's killer) was excellent in her role, and the best part was that she was in a role that wasn't written specifically for a Latina (which is why she took it).

vCash
    I've seen three films on that list:

The Iron Giant (Love it!)
    Moon (Brilliant film. I've got this on dvd.)
    Rare Exports (I love that Finland throws out films like this one and Iron Sky. How come Sweden never does films like this? Perhaps I should write a weirdly hilarious film about a Swedish woman who's the last person on Earth...)

I've also seen bits of Idiocracy and Together, but neither of them were to my taste. And I think I may be the only person in Sweden who hasn't seen Lilja 4-Ever, but I have no intention of seeing it.

vCash
    I can only recall seeing two of them: Eve's Bayou, about which I remember nothing, and The Magdalene Sisters, which I will never forget.

vCash
    I can hardly believe that Total Crap part 60 is number one at the box office while Star Trek dropped to #3 and Epic is a fail.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Okay, I've started working on the new thread for June, July and August and I have to give you a sneak peak (and I've only watched four trailers so far)! The trailer for this...

June 7th - Violet & Daisy - Action comedy drama with Saoirse Ronan, Alexis Bledel, Danny Trejo, James Gandolfini and Marianne Jean-Baptiste
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7CdL8xXmxE

...is a great trailer because it gives nothing away about the main plot...but I want to see it! As a matter of fact I don't really know what the movie is about, but don't care! Just get me some popcorn and I'll meet you in the theatre!

And this one is pretty ...

June 7th - The Purge - Sci-Fi Thriller with Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey and Rhys Wakefield
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

Now usually I really hate movies that include violence for the sake of including violence, but this one looks like it could be one wild ride. (And has Ethan Hawke finally gotten a good agent? He seems really relevant to the world of movies these last few years!)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I can hardly believe that Total Crap part 60 is number one at the box office while Star Trek dropped to #3 and Epic is a fail.
    You're shocked that the Fast and Furious franchise is popular? And isn't it rare for any movie to hold onto the #1 spot for a second week? Especially now that we're at the beginning of the summer releases? Star Trek has already grossed over 100 million and took in over 10 million on Friday alone. I don't think we need to worry about this franchise coming to an early end. Not with those wonderful coloured contact lenses of Chris Pine y'all keep talking about! And I didn't even know what your "Epic" reference meant. Had to refer back to page on of this thread to remind myself of this movie. It did make almost 10 million on Friday alone and came in fourth to three major movies, all of which are ongoing, popular franchises. So I wouldn't call it a fail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ... The 50 Best Movies You’ve Never Seen ...
    I've seen about 3/4 of the films on that list, and while many are definitely worth seeing, none of them would make any "best of" list I'd put together. But the best of that lot, IMO, are:

The Magdalene Sisters (ok, this one might make a best-of list, just not sure the category)
    Moon
    Murderball
    Iron Giant
    Fish Tank
    Wristcutters
    Happy Accidents
    Broken English

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I've seen about 3/4 of the films on that list, and while many are definitely worth seeing, none of them would make any "best of" list I'd put together. But the best of that lot, IMO, are:

The Magdalene Sisters (ok, this one might make a best-of list, just not sure the category)
    Moon
    Murderball
    Iron Giant
    Fish Tank
    Wristcutters
    Happy Accidents
    Broken English
    Iron Giant would make my best-of list. I suspect Murderball would too ... if I ever actually seen it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #22 : Steve Jobs, Some Trekkies, An Ozzy...and IRON MAN!!!

We took the niece and nephew to see Epic yesterday. It was pretty awful but the kids liked it so I guess it did its job for its target audience.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I don't think we need to worry about this franchise coming to an early end. Not with those wonderful coloured contact lenses of Chris Pine y'all keep talking about!
    Like we care if they're colored contacts. They're still lovely to look at.

According to Deadline Hollywood, Epic pretty much met expectations for an animated film in a highly competitive weekend. (Of course, one can point out that if Fast and Furious and Hangover sequels make for a highly competitive weekend, we all need to go home and rethink our lives.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast