View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 38.89%
  • Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 9.26%
  • March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 11.11%
  • March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 18.52%
  • April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 7.41%
  • April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 7.41%
  • April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 11.11%
  • April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 5.56%
  • May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 46.30%
  • Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 48.15%
  • Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 64.81%
  • May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I watched Anna Karenina tonight with my dad. I love Keira Knightley and Joe Wright, and I love them together, but this film was weird. As my dad put it, it was like a musical with no songs. It was weirdly choreographed and while I could see what Mr. Wright was trying to do I don't think it worked. My dad's a huge Tolstoy fan and he just really disliked it. He said it didn't feel at all like Tolstoy and that the guy playing Vronsky was horribly miscast. I think Jude Law and Keira did a good job with what they had but what they had wasn't much. It was beautiful of course, as all of Mr. Wright's films are, but it was really lacking otherwise. For a talented director he really wasted some beautiful costumes, what was clearly a large budget, and a generally very good cast. And the screenplay was not very good at all.

vCash
    Re: "Anna Karenina"

I actually asked Joe Wright about the staging and he wanted to unfold like a play. It was almost the opposite of "Atonement" which was grand to reflect the scale of WWII.

The problem was it was a big production based on a big book on a small stage.

The stories behind the costumes, however, were fascinating. Keira explained that Anna surrounded herself with death: furs, jagged jewelry, etc.

I can pull up my recordings from the interviews. While I loved talking to them, the movie was disappointing.

vCash
    So I screened "Iron Man 3" tonight.

I like the humorous tone of this trilogy, even though there were some scenes of destruction that brought to mind recent events.

Robert Downey Jr. had great chemistry with one child actor in particular.

However, there were some serious plot holes, a way too convenient ending, and the silliness piled on with the whole (spoiler)

Spoiler

plotline.

Still, it was entertaining and the action was good. The 3D didn't seem to bother me that much.

I didn't stay for the post-credit scene, so I can't tell you about that.

Afterlife
    vCash
    I've been watching Lauren Bacall movies for the last week. Dark Passage, Key Largo, To Have and Have Not, Blood Alley and ending with The Shootist. It's basically every one of her movies that my family owns. I had kind of forgotten how much I enjoyed her movies it had been so long since I had seen any of them.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ITA with your dad for the most part, michiruwater. Most of my Russian friends familiar with Tolstoy feel that way, with the exception that Keira Knightly was horrid as Anna. But pretty much everyone agrees Jude Law was really good, as well as the guy who played Steva, Anna's brother. Later I saw Anna Karenina with Vivien Leigh--she was vastly superior IMO. I cared about her Anna and felt devastated by her death. With Knightly, not so much. If you can't get the audience to feel empathy, no amount of furs and jagged jewelry is going to help.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    ITA with your dad for the most part, michiruwater. Most of my Russian friends familiar with Tolstoy feel that way, with the exception that Keira Knightly was horrid as Anna. But pretty much everyone agrees Jude Law was really good, as well as the guy who played Steva, Anna's brother. Later I saw Anna Karenina with Vivien Leigh--she was vastly superior IMO. I cared about her Anna and felt devastated by her death. With Knightly, not so much. If you can't get the audience to feel empathy, no amount of furs and jagged jewelry is going to help.
    I was reading Anna Karenina when this came out and I couldn't bring myself to go and see it. Keira Knightly just doesn't have the depth necessary to play Anna, and if Vronsky's wrong as well, it takes the entire heart out of one of the great tragic love stories. IceAlisa, I will get hold of the Vivien Leigh version and see what it's like.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 04-30-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I've been watching Lauren Bacall movies for the last week. Dark Passage, Key Largo, To Have and Have Not, Blood Alley and ending with The Shootist. It's basically every one of her movies that my family owns. I had kind of forgotten how much I enjoyed her movies it had been so long since I had seen any of them.
    I have always liked Lauren Bacall, partly for her politics, but she was also a memorable actress in the few films in which she wasn't miscast. Amazing to think she was only 19 when she starred in To Have and Have Not. She's also one of the actors from the classic era who is still alive - she's 88. I don't suppose she'll make any more films, but she was nominated for her first Oscar in 1997 for The Mirror Has Two Faces, losing to Juliette Binoche. I loved her performance in The Shootist.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    One of my main issues with the staging of it was that you really miss the grandness of Russia. It felt super claustrophobic. I kept comparing it to Dr. Zhivago, and how wonderfully that movie captures how huge and beautiful the country is in its cinematography and setting. This movie felt like it was set in France or England in a very small space. There was very little about it that was Russian. If I want to see a play, I'll go to the theater.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I have always liked Lauren Bacall, partly for her politics, but she was also a memorable actress in the few films in which she wasn't miscast. Amazing to think she was only 19 when she starred in To Have and Have Not. She's also one of the actors from the classic era who is still alive - she's 88. I don't suppose she'll make any more films, but she was nominated for her first Oscar in 1997 for The Mirror Has Two Faces, losing to Juliette Binoche. I loved her performance in The Shootist.
    She was amazing in The Shootist. It had been so long since I'd seen it. I've read that her health isn't the greatest anymore so she probably wont be working. It is sad she never won the Oscar.
    Maureen O'Hara and Angela Lansbury are 2 other actresses from that time that are still alive who I have usually really enjoyed. Minus Murder She Wrote for Lansbury. I have loved her in all her movies that I've seen though. Her performance in The Manchurian Candidate was chilling. I love that she's still working somewhat too. Although mostly on stage.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    For Alan Cumming fans: I just spotted that Any Day Now was released on DVD last week. I saw this at VIFF last fall and found it surprisingly effective despite the somewhat sentimental subject matter. My library just listed it on order so I think I'll take the opportunity to see it again.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have rented Silver Linings Playbook to watch tonight! Can't wait!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    ME TOOO SO EXCITED! Except I just bought it

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I just got done with Silver Linings Playbook. It was a good movie and I certainly was LOLing at quite a few parts. However, it was just a little too unbelievable. He is so in love with his wife for the entire film and then suddenly changes his mind? I also would love to see the sequel to this movie. You know, the part where he goes crazy and she goes crazy and they both go off their meds and end up trying to kill each other and their family in the process? That would probably be far more realistic. I really did like the movie, I just felt mental disease was so romanticized in it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

having a nice day
    vCash
    I can't warch any more movies. It feels like my eyeballs will fall out. But that's kay in a strange way lol. I feel all caught up...

"Take This Waltz" and shve it up..... ahem. As Men on Film used to say: http://youtu.be/HZHwxIL9oYo the SONG is fantastic, the movie is not. It may be simply be I am way hella too old for this sort of cra....film.

"The Good Doctor"--see youtube clip mentioned above. Ayiyiyi.....

"The Motorcycle Diaries" --very good and highly recommeneded.

"The Lady"-- ditto.

then I had to go all Redbox to see
    "Hitchcock"-smart, clever, elegant way to tel the tale. Even if you hate Hitchcock movies (I do) you will like this fun film.
    "Django Unchained"-hehehe. Jamie Foxx roxxs! And a v nice "somehing for everyone" moment when Tarantino obligin;y blows himself up. LOL.
    "Flight"_Denzel Washington rocks! and I'll never fly again....
    "Life Of Pi"-charming enchanting delightful. only wish I had been able to see it in 3D it must hve been absolutly WOW

and that's all folks-this keyboard sucks and the temp is supposed to drop 30 degrees in a fw hrs so I'm off to get more pins for my pedl and stock up on hot wholesome food wheee! XOXOXOXOX

vCash
    I just had a thought. 2009 has been called a "vintage year for SF films", what with the likes of Avatar, District 9, Star Trek, Moon, and a bunch of others all coming out that year. Fast forward to 2013, and we've got another Star Trek film (Into Darkness), another film by Neill Blomkamp (Elysium), Pacific Rim, Oblivion, Ender's Game, After Earth, Europa Report (though I may be the only one who's super eager to see that one), and a bunch of other SF films I can't recall at the moment. Another vintage SF year? I doubt any of this year's films will reach the monetary heights of Avatar, though it seems like everyone I know wants to see STID.

vCash
    20 Famous Movie Lines That You Have Been Saying Wrong
    You and I have been constantly misquoting them our entire lives.
    posted on May 1, 2013 at 12:41pm EDT
    Brian Galindo
    BuzzFeed Staff

1. Apollo 13
    Misquote: “Houston, we have a problem”
    Actual movie quote: "... Ah, Houston, we've had a problem.”

2. Dirty Harry
    Misquote: "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
    Actual movie quote: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

3. The Graduate
    Misquote: "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?"
    Actual movie quote: "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?"

4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Misquote: "Mirror, mirror, on the wall - who is the fairest of them all?"
    Actual movie quote: “Magic mirror, on the wall - who is the fairest one of all?"

5. She Done Him Wrong
    Misquote: "Why don't you come up and see me sometime?"
    Actual movie quote: "Why don't you come up sometime and see me."

6. Casablanca
    Misquote: "Play it again, Sam."
    Actual movie quote: "You played it for her, you can play it for me. If she can stand it, I can. Play it!"

7. The Empire Strikes Back
    Misquote: "Luke, I am your father." 

Actual movie quote: “No. I am your father."

8. Jaws
    Misquote: “We’re gonna need a bigger boat!”
    Actual movie quote: “You’re gonna need a bigger boat!”

9. Field Of Dreams
    Misquote: “If you build it, they will come."
    Actual movie quote: “If you build it, he will come.”

10. All About Eve
    Misquote: "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride."
    Actual movie quote: "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night."

11. The Wizard of Oz
    Misquote: "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.
    Actual movie quote: “Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

12. Frankenstein
    Misquote: "He’s Alive!"
    Actual movie quote: “It’s Alive!”

13. Gone With The Wind
    Misquote: "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn."
    Actual movie quote: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

14. Silence of the Lambs
    Misquote: “Hello, Clarice”

Actual movie quote: "Good evening, Clarice.”

15. Mommie Dearest
    Misquote: “No more wire hangers, EVER!"
    Actual movie quote: "No wire hangers! No wire hangers EVER!"

16. Planet of the Apes
    Misquote: “Get your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
    Actual movie quote: "Take your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"

17. …And Justice For All
    Misquote: "I’m out of order? You’re out of order! This whole courtroom’s out of order!”

Actual movie quote: "You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"

18. Cool Hand Luke
    Misquote: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."
    Actual movie quote: "What we've got here is failure to communicate."

19. The Godfather
    Misquote: “I wanna make him an offer he can't refuse."
    Actual movie quote: "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

20. Sunset Blvd.
    Misquote: "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille."
    Actual movie quote: "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo...edium=buzzfeed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    1. Apollo 13
    Misquote: “Houston, we have a problem”
    Actual movie quote: "... Ah, Houston, we've had a problem.”
    Actually, if you're quoting the movie, "Houston, we have a problem" is quite correct. But if you're quoting the actual words said by the astronauts in 1970, then it's "Houston, we've had a problem."

(And what's a little verb tense between friends?)

vCash
    Most of the misquotes kept their meaning, but this one:

5. She Done Him Wrong
    Misquote: "Why don't you come up and see me sometime?"
    Actual movie quote: "Why don't you come up sometime and see me."

The actual quote is racier than the misquote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    12. Frankenstein
    Misquote: "He’s Alive!"
    Actual movie quote: “It’s Alive!”

13. Gone With The Wind
    Misquote: "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn."
    Actual movie quote: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
    I can't recall saying or hearing anyone else say these two wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I can't recall saying or hearing anyone else say these two wrong.
    Ditto. I don't think I've ever heard the Godfather, Planet of the Apes, Silence of the Lambs, Dirty Harry, Wizard of Oz, or Graduate ones misquoted either.

In fact the only one on that list that I'd say is a "classic misquote" is the Casablanca one. Misquoted so often that it even spawned an ironically titled movie of its own!

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast