View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 38.89%
  • Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 9.26%
  • March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 11.11%
  • March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 18.52%
  • April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 7.41%
  • April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 7.41%
  • April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 11.11%
  • April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 5.56%
  • May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 46.30%
  • Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 48.15%
  • Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 64.81%
  • May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    vCash
    Frances Ha! alas it doesn't look to be playing in my city's theatres.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    Frances Ha! alas it doesn't look to be playing in my city's theatres.
    I think it's probably quite a small budget film, so will just be playing in art house type theatres in select cities. I looked up Black Rock at my local theatre and it's not playing, so then I checked to see which theatres throughout our larger area, and it's not even listed! So maybe both are getting very limited releases.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I've been checking the usual suspects that play the smaller movies and nothing on the horizon so far! And at the rate our small theatres are shutting down...

vCash
    Just got back from seeing 'The Great Gatsby'. I really liked it. I never read the book, and after the movie came out, I purposely avoided reading it or even reading the story. That worked. Those who have read the book may not like the movie. I thought Leo Di was great, and should receive an Oscar nom. Carey Mulligan was also very good, the 'trapped' woman, and Tobey McGuire as the narrator Nick was pretty good too.

vCash
    Saw the Sapphires in cinema and it is a nice little movie so I highly recommend it.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I can't believe all the intense philosophical analysis I'm seeing of how Star Trek does and doesn't relate to the old version of Star Trek, and how it doesn't do justice to the old vision and ideas and blah blah blahdiddy blah. Okay, I know it's a well-loved series, but we're talking about a franchise that starred William Shatner.

I mean . . . WILLIAM FREAKIN' SHATNER.

Come ON.

(And Ricardo Montalban in the stupidest outfit ever.)

Maybe I'm just a disrespectful whippersnapper who was born too late, but I really liked the new movie. (And I think Galaxy Quest said about all there was to say about the original series.) You can have your Shatner any day . . . I'll have me some Cumberbatch! And I wouldn't say no to a little Chris Pine either. That boy has got a fine pair of baby blues on him.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Everyone talks about Chris Pine's eyes but did anyone notice those lips? Good god. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out he gets them plumped a little.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Everyone talks about Chris Pine's eyes but did anyone notice those lips? Good god. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out he gets them plumped a little.
    I wouldn't know; he seems to spend the majority of the Star Trek movies in a constant battered state so I always figured his lips were a result of getting punched a few too many times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Everyone talks about Chris Pine's eyes but did anyone notice those lips?
    Not really. Too distracted by the eyes. I tend to notice those first and foremost.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I can't believe all the intense philosophical analysis I'm seeing of how Star Trek does and doesn't relate to the old version of Star Trek, and how it doesn't do justice to the old vision and ideas and blah blah blahdiddy blah. Okay, I know it's a well-loved series, but we're talking about a franchise that starred William Shatner.

I mean . . . WILLIAM FREAKIN' SHATNER.

Come ON.

(And Ricardo Montalban in the stupidest outfit ever.)

Maybe I'm just a disrespectful whippersnapper who was born too late, but I really liked the new movie. (And I think Galaxy Quest said about all there was to say about the original series.) You can have your Shatner any day . . . I'll have me some Cumberbatch! And I wouldn't say no to a little Chris Pine either. That boy has got a fine pair of baby blues on him.
    Well, I'm one of those people who didn't like the new movie because even if it wanted to stray from the original series, it should do it in a way that's better or at least a way that doesn't relegate it to a simple Summer popcorn flick. Oh well, at least Cumberbatch and Pine are just so hot so we can turn our brains off.

vCash
    Just saw The Great Gatsby. This will be an unfavourable, spoilery rant:

Oh dear. It appears my relationship with Baz Luhrmann's work has entered rocky terrain. I did not enjoy Moulin Rouge and for many of the same reasons, I did not enjoy The Great Gatsby. As fitting as it would seem to pair the excess and frivolity of the setting with the heavy handed styling, I wanted so badly for just a little bit of restraint in at least a scene or two. It was too much, too heavy on the glitter, too languorous and plodding. Still not a fan of the 3D,...it dulled and darkened the picture. And here, it looked really tacky. Was that the intent? To shove down our throats the theme of nouveau riche gaudiness? By virtually throwing glitter in our faces?

Nick's narration really didn't work for me. I suppose they were staying true to the book, but what works in the book (Nick's character serving as our ambivalent guide into this zany world) didn't gel for me in the movie. I didn't need Nick to tell me in monotone that no one showed up for the funeral, we could freakin see that. A silent shot of the fallen golden boy alone in his palace would have been perfection.

Carey Mulligan was luminous. And she really worked some angles that I didn't quite pick up from Daisy in the book...playing up Daisy's warmth, confusion and regret. I like this interpretation of her as more than a creature of shallow ambitions.

I was entertained, even if put off. So I guess it was $15 well spent?

vCash
    Just saw The Great Gatsby. This will be an unfavourable, spoilery rant:

Oh dear. It appears my relationship with Baz Luhrmann's work has entered rocky terrain. I did not enjoy Moulin Rouge and for many of the same reasons, I did not enjoy The Great Gatsby. As fitting as it would seem to pair the excess and frivolity of the setting with the heavy handed styling, I wanted so badly for just a little bit of restraint in at least a scene or two. It was too much, too heavy on the glitter, too languorous and plodding. Still not a fan of the 3D,...it dulled and darkened the picture. And here, it looked really tacky. Was that the intent? To shove down our throats the theme of nouveau riche gaudiness? By virtually throwing glitter in our faces?

Nick's narration really didn't work for me. I suppose they were staying true to the book, but what works in the book (Nick's character serving as our ambivalent guide into this zany world) didn't gel for me in the movie. I didn't need Nick to tell me in monotone that no one showed up for the funeral, we could freakin see that. A silent shot of the fallen golden boy alone in his palace would have been perfection.

Carey Mulligan was luminous. And she really worked some angles that I didn't quite pick up from Daisy in the book...playing up Daisy's warmth, confusion and regret. I like this interpretation of her as more than a creature of shallow ambitions.

I was entertained, even if put off. So I guess it was $15 well spent?
    From your "rant", it sounds more like $15 wasted. For myself, I enjoyed the movie and my $6 was well spent. I did not watch it in 3D; I see no need for 3D for a movie like this. I am not into visual effects; I like drama and this movie provided plenty of that. I particularly liked the 'tea at Nick's' scene. It was humorous and poignant at the same time.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    "Cosmopolis"-I got more out of the "making of" feature than I did the film itself. I think I am simply "too old" for modern movies like this. "The great gatsby" was showing at the warren theatre in moore so dunno now when I will see it but surely v v V glad I did not decide to go see it yesterday

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Okay, I'm back on track with the new releases, house-sitting is done! Quite a lot of interesting movies this week. Again, they are in order of what interests ME So I am disappointed to put a movie starring Kristin Scott Thomas very last. It also stars Ryan Gosling in this seemingly uber-violent movie. What is Gosling's fetish with this kind of film of late? Can't he go back to comedies and romances? A Green Story looks like it could be quite an amazing film and The Penguin King 3D looks beautiful. The description for Fill The Void seems to contradict the trailer, which looks sweet in a respectful way. And the Wikileaks movie is definitely going on my To See list. One last note: please notice that I put the word comedy for Tim Allen's movie in quotation marks...

May 24 - A Green Story (Biographical drama with Billy Zane, Annabella Sciorra, Malcom McDowell and Shannon Elizabeth)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGw6o1vzJ0

May 24 - The Penguin King 3D (Nature documentary narrated by Richard Attenborough)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6RyK6TjtQw

May 24 - Fill the Void (Israeli drama. From imdb.com: “A devout 18-year-old Israeli is pressured to marry the husband of her late sister. Declaring her independence is not an option in Tel Aviv's ultra-Orthodox Hasidic community, where religious law, tradition and the rabbi's word are absolute.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQD3vRooVA

May 24 - We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks (From imdb.com: “A documentary that details the creation of Julian Assange's controversial website, which facilitated the largest security breach in U.S. history.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VpXRqa7AOE

May 24 - Before Midnight (Drama with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euOJkb0U8vE

May 22 - Doin' It in the Park Pick-Up Basketball, NYC (Sports documentary. From imdb.com: “An independent documentary directed by Bobbito Garcia and Kevin Couliau. The film explores the definition, history, culture, social impact and global influence of New York's outdoor summer basketball scene, the worldwide 'Mecca' of the sport.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoCM7Jk9AqA

May 22 - Plimpton! Starring George Plimpton as Himself (Documentary. From the film’s website: “…Plimpton hung out with U.S. Presidents, played quarterback for the Detroit Lions, got Willie Mays to pop out in Yankee Stadium, photographed Playboy models, played goalie for the Boston Bruins, struck the triangle for the New York Philharmonic and acted alongside John Wayne, Warren Beatty and Matt Damon…”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uPcFRBJbM

May 22 - 3 Geezers! (“Comedy” with J.K. Simmons, Tim Allen, Scott Caan, Kevin Pollak and Breckin Meyer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta31t4BGLDU

May 24 - Only God Forgives (Crime drama with Ryan Gosling, Kristin Scott Thomas,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqAeVosG4zI

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I was hoping for a more "Life of Pi" type experience from "Great Gatsby's" 3-D effects, which sadly did not come to fruition. Over all, I loved the costumes and Carey Mulligan, and thought the rest was rather blah. Perhaps it's a more than a little telling that a fable about the dangers of excess suffers from so much bloat.
    Last edited by peibeck; 05-22-2013 at 03:38 AM.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Over all, I loved the costumes and Carey Mulligan, and thought the rest was rather blah. Perhaps it's a more than a little telling that a fable about the dangers of excessive suffers from so much bloat.
    Oh the irony! Seriously, Carey Mulligan alone was worth my $11.50. The rest not so much.

Then I went into the theatre next door and saw the new Star Trek movie. I'm a original series fan and I loved the new movie .. it's not Tolstoy or Shakespeare but it's not supposed to be. Benedict Cumberbatch can be on my tv all day, every day. Oh, and I did pay for both movies, I didn't just sneak in.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am starting to think that Ryan Gosling has a plan to one day release a movie where he never says a single word. I like it on him but an entire movie...no thanks. That movie looks interesting, though, something like a Kill Bill update.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Oh, and I did pay for both movies, I didn't just sneak in.

(I'm a sneaker..............)

vCash
    I am so SO excited about Before Midnight.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I am so SO excited about Before Midnight.
    I've seen the first two, but didn't add this one to my list. Maybe because I liked the first two, but didn't LOVE them? And in this trailer, Hawke's character seems quite charming and Delpy's is quite shrew-ish. Makes the movie seem like a bit of a downer. Interesting that we continue to get to see this relationship every 10 years or so. I'll probably see this on the library shelves one day and think, "well, I saw the first two..." and then check it out.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast