View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 38.89%
  • Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 9.26%
  • March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 11.11%
  • March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 18.52%
  • April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 7.41%
  • April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 7.41%
  • April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 11.11%
  • April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 5.56%
  • May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 46.30%
  • Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 48.15%
  • Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 64.81%
  • May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    That's weird. In the first one it was definitely a fairly dark brown, but not black.

vCash
    Wow--just watched a docu on HBO and I'm not sure if it was released as a movie first but watching this is certainly time well spent imho: Which Way Is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Times of Tim Hetherington is the name of the film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    That's weird. In the first one it was definitely a fairly dark brown, but not black.
    It wasn't completely black...but there were definite black parts throughout. It looked terrible ... I'm not sure why she did red carpets with that hair.

Edited to add: Here's the pic from the event: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/156735813

So glad Sam Claflin is getting his breakout role as Finnick. He's one of the most down-to-earth guys. We spent five minutes talking about how excited he was to try Mexican food during the "Snow White" press tour in Mexico City.
    Last edited by all_empty; 04-19-2013 at 04:40 AM.

vCash
    I've liked him ever since he was in that one Pirates movie (even though the movie was terrible and the role shoddily written). I'm glad for him too!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just finished (re-)watching Final Destination. I had actually requested part five as Stephen King had said in Entertainment Weekly that part five had one of the best action sequences he had ever seen. But the librarian got my request wrong and ordered part one instead. So I felt I should watch it again. Pretty good, and what a cast...of unknowns (for the most part) at that time: Devon Sawa, Ali Larter, Kerr Smith, Seann William Scott and Brendan Fehr. The DVD extras were good in how screen testing was done, specifically at that time (the extra must be quite new rather than something made shortly after the release of the movie). And how the ending was VERY different from what the final version had...and how a romantic storyline was almost completely scrapped. I love good DVD extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    The trailer for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium hit the internet last night, and it looks SWEEET! Awesome environments, Sharlto fokken Copley with a fokken SWORD, and a space!Bugatti, even! Can it be August NOW?
    Yes, it looks wonderful. I hope it's not Jodie Foster's final time in front of the camera, which she (...sort of...) stated at the recent Golden Globes...

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    ted was mildly amusing but unrated version was just plain gross and offensive.
    Wow...I really should have listened to you. I got Ted from the library, watched half an hour and thought, "WHY am I watching this?" So I gave up. I rarely do that. Even with Resident Evil: Retribution which I just watched at double and triple time. It's just like Lord of the Rings....walk, fight...walk, fight....walk, fight. I swear the earlier Resident Evil movies had a plot...

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    NEW MAN OF STEEL TRAILER!!!!

Henry Cavill!!!!!

http://youtu.be/T6DJcgm3wNY
    I just saw him in Cold Light of Day (also starring Sigourney Weaver and Bruce Willis). VERY good start to the movie (which just so happen to have some shirtless shots of Mr. Henry ). But the second half doesn't really seem to go anywhere. No surprise it bombed at the box office, in spite of it's excellent cast. Sigourney's role was very under-written, I hope she got a BIG paycheque for this one...

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    The Queen of Versailles will be on Bravo eom. I highly recommend it. No matter how bad yr life is you will feel so way hella better that you so called sucky life is gazillion times better than that of the Siegels.
    Isn't that the movie about the uber-wealthy people who waste all their riches? I doubt I'll be able to sympathize much for this bunch!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Her hair is definitely black -- I interviewed Jennifer while she was filming (she's doing reshoots now) and it was very dark in person.
    I think her hair looks blacker because in the first film, she had quite a bit of spray tan to give her more of an olive complexion. This time her skin looks its natural shade, which would be in keeping with the fact that the first half of the film is set during the winter and she's living a more posh lifestyle, so less skin exposure.

Ridiculously excited. The trailer is pretty top heavy to the first half of the film, but I guess they wanted to keep the Victors under wraps a bit longer. They'll be in the next trailer and we'll get a better sense of the scope then. But so far it looks great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Isn't that the movie about the uber-wealthy people who waste all their riches? I doubt I'll be able to sympathize much for this bunch!
    I didn't feel sympathy, it was more incredulousness, staring open-mouth at the screen thinking OMG how stupid

having a nice day
    vCash
    Exactly. My friend summed them up as "helpless and hopeless." I'm not so nice, I was more like "how can you be that stupid and LIVE?!?!" but I guess it happens all the time lol.

Playing more catcup, I feel that if I don't get to see the whole movie of "The Great Gatsby" like, TOMR, I am going to run around screaming. the previews look FAN tasTIC. I love lush Luhrman movies like that. I want to see it NOW!!! (stomps foot pouts and whines, like that'll change thangs eys lol)

now back to reality:
    "Rock of Ages" way hella better than expected-even tho I'm no fan of 80's music (at ALL) I watched this film about 6 times. Stellar cast, perfectly cast, and Tom Cruise especially spot on.
    "Butter" pretty dayum funny the lives behind the "nice Midwesterner" image told by a story of butter. I watched it 3 or 4 times.
    "A Better Life" get out your Kleenex it's a tear jerker in a good way but .... will stop there cause I have no time for lengthy diatribe.
    "Eastern Promises" Viggo Mortensen pitch perfect.
    "The Expendables" eys they all were because Sly Stallone couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag. Wasted talent. 35 seconds ;eft bye!!

vCash
    I watched Wings (1927), the original Best Picture winner from 1929 and the first silent film I've watched (if we don't include The Artist). It's surprisingly long - 2.5 hours - and quite lavish. Lots of long, extended scenes of fight pilot dogfights, as well as many conversational scenes that took simply forever without progressing the plot. In addition, Clara Bow's character was obviously thrown in to capitalize on her stardom - which I knew nothing about, which horrified my father who then explained it to me - but her character is really unnecessary, even if she gets top billing, because the story of the film is about the friendship between two American pilots who are in love with the same girl back home (who is not played by Ms. Bow, whom you could have actually cut out of the film entirely and it would have still made sense). Basically, it's Pearl Harbor 80 years earlier and way, way better. A lot of the WWI scenes they shot were really top-notch and I was surprised at how realistic they were and how good the special effects were for the time. The film was restored in 2012 and it was clearly lovingly done - aside from the color changing it was very clear. We chose to listen to it with the new score written as opposed to 2.5 hours of pipe organ, and the composer cleverly wove lots of recognizable themes throughout the 2.5 hours of continuous music. I'd recommend it for sure, just maybe have a cookbook or something to glance through when you get to some of the pointless, extended scenes Oh, and there's a part in the middle (after the Intermission) where one of the pilots is in Paris and Ms. Bow is there that is not just pointless but absolutely does not fit in with the general feel of the rest of the film (the pilot is drunk and keeps seeing badly-done bubbles everywhere?...) that you could probably just skip, if you wanted.That was a cookbook moment for sure. If they had cut out about an hour of the film and just focused on the pilots I would have said it was really very excellent even by modern standards.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Five movie recommendations:

Perks of Being A Wallflower (Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, Nina Dobrev, Kate Walsh Paul Rudd and Dylan McDermott) - Wow, this one was amazing. It makes me think about the kind of script I'd like to write one day that instead of focussing on the man vs. x, y or z standard, it's about people and their connection to one another and how they move forward instead of being in some sort of combat with someone or something. A great script and a wonderful young cast. Great deleted scenes on the DVD also, so worthy of being in the movie in spite of ending up on the cutting room floor.

Pink Ribbons, Inc. - I've been watching a fair number of documentaries over the last few years, and this is one of the best. Focussing on the breast cancer "industry" and how companies are using breast cancer as a way of creating profit for their products. It also focusses on the push towards making everything pink, pretty and nice when in reality it can of course be quite the opposite and how this push can hurt some as much as help them. Definitely recommended viewing.

The Beaver (Mel Gibson, Anton Yelchin, Jennifer Lawrence, Cherry Jones and Jodie Foster) - It would be a mistake to skip this one because the (arguably offensive) Mel Gibson is the star. It's a very interesting and different script with great performances. And if you feel a pull towards skipping this one because of Gibson, remind yourself that Jennifer Lawrence is in this one...and see it!!

Looper (Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis) - Recommended, but somewhat plot-heavy. I don't think I've ever said that about a movie before! The first half was good enough, but the second half is kind of like the sequel to part one so you have to change your thinking about what everything is about. Just seemed like it was trying to be too much, writing this makes me think it really could have been two separate movies. Still, it's very well-done drama/sci-fi.

Surviving Progress - A great documentary about how humankind's abilities are surpassing our ethical values and standards. To the point that we are doing things...simply because we can - and the planet is suffering. This movie has made me think about humans think they're at the top of the food chain, but we're secondary to the planet. Without a healthy planet, there will not be healthy humans. Another definite for your To See list.

vCash
    I saw '42' today. Loved it. I was happy that they found a brand new actor to play the title role (Chadwick Bose...?). I knew very little about the Broolyn Dodgers or the impact Jackie Robinson had on Baseball in the USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I saw '42' today. Loved it. I was happy that they found a brand new actor to play the title role (Chadwick Bose...?). I knew very little about the Broolyn Dodgers or the impact Jackie Robinson had on Baseball in the USA.
    It's not a movie but what makes me sad is the total disregard for Larry Doby who entered the American League with the Cleveland Indians 2 weeks later than Robinson. He is totally ignored and he was another great first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    It's not a movie but what makes me sad is the total disregard for Larry Doby who entered the American League with the Cleveland Indians 2 weeks later than Robinson. He is totally ignored and he was another great first.
    I am not familiar with Larry Doby. Was he a trailblazer like Jackie R. and did he have a great MLB career? I am not very knowledgeable about baseball history, so please forgive me for asking.

vCash
    The Beaver (Mel Gibson, Anton Yelchin, Jennifer Lawrence, Cherry Jones and Jodie Foster) - It would be a mistake to skip this one because the (arguably offensive) Mel Gibson is the star. It's a very interesting and different script with great performances. And if you feel a pull towards skipping this one because of Gibson, remind yourself that Jennifer Lawrence is in this one...and see it!!
    Okay, okay, I'll rent it as soon as I am able to get over there

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Five movie recommendations: Perks of Being A Wallflower ... Pink Ribbons, Inc. ... The Beaver ... Looper ... Surviving Progress
    I've been trying unsuccessfully to find The Beaver for a while now, glad to know it's worth continuing my search. The other 4 ITA, I gave them my thumbs up earlier. Pink Ribbons I got to see at a preview with the filmmakers in attendance, very illuminating. And Perks is what every coming-of-age film wants to be ... but few achieve.

BTW, I recommend the book of Surviving Progress too. A lot of the concepts flash by pretty quickly in the film, the book gives you more time to process.

My viewing over the past couple of weeks included:

A Royal Affair: Beautiful costume drama + a nice little bit of history. But too long, needed an edit. And ultimately I found myself caring more about the Christian character, for all his flaws, than for the Caroline or Johann characters (tho I never tire of looking at Mads Mikkelsen! ) But still very much worth watching.

Searching for Sugar Man: My favourite kind of documentary, one that makes discoveries as it goes along. And as fascinating as the story is ... even more incredible is how such an enormously talented musician never got any attention at home. I'm now in the library queue for the soundtrack album.

Wreck-It Ralph: Cute, but nowhere near as good as some of best animated films of recent years. Entertaining fluff, instantly forgettable.

To Be Heard: excellent documentary about giving voice to the disenfranchised. The tagline sums it up nicely: "If you don't learn to write your own life story someone else will write it for you."

Tiny Furniture: Lena Dunham's 2010 film that's been released on DVD no doubt due to the acclaim of Girls. Basically, if you like Girls, you'll like this. I don't. Pretty easy to see a theme here: it's very well written, but I just don't care about, nor do I want to spend any time with, any of these characters or their pathetic waster spoiled entitled lives.

The Master: Excellently crafted in every way ... but left me feeling very wtf. I'm really not sure how we're supposed to take this film, but I felt kind of assaulted. And yet I'm still recommending it. Of all the great performances, Amy Adams was the real standout for me: I never would have thought she had that kind of range and depth.

Smashed: A love story about addiction, or an addition story about love ... either way, very compelling in an indie kind of way.

vCash
    I am not familiar with Larry Doby. Was he a trailblazer like Jackie R. and did he have a great MLB career? I am not very knowledgeable about baseball history, so please forgive me for asking.
    He was the first black player in the American League joining the Cleveland Indians 2 weeks after Robinson broke into the National league with the Dodgers. Among highlights of his career in baseball, he was a 7 time All Star in center field and he and Satchel Paige were the first African Americans to be on a team that won the world series(1948 Cleveland Indians). He went on to do a whole lot of other stuff not only on the field but also in management.

Done with rant, back to movies

vCash
    I absolutely loved it too. I love baseball - if we had a dog, its name would be Ebbits.

i felt like I was actually going back in time watching 42.

vCash
    I got a film called Wrecked from the bargain bin a couple of weeks ago, and tonight I got around to watching it. I hadn't heard of it before I bought it, and I normally don't buy dvds unless I already know I like the film, but the premise sounded interesting, and it had Adrien Brody () in it, so I figured what the hey.

And you know what? I did like it. It's basically Adrien Brody being stuck in a car and then crawling around in a forest for 90 minutes, but it still works, somehow. The ending was a bit abrupt, and it was perhaps a bit too convenient that he

Spoiler

but still, kudos to the creators for making this film work in the first place, 'cos it could've been a big pile of absolute dreck.

And man, it can't have been fun dragging the filming equipment around in a forest like that!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Here's the smaller movies coming out this week. Mud looks like it could be pretty decent and Kon-Tiki is definitely going on my To See list.

Apr-26 Mud (Drama with Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Michael Shannon, Joe Don Baker and Sam Shepard)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m9IFlz2iYo

Apr-26 Kon-Tiki (Norwegian action adventure biography. From imdb.com: “The story of legendary explorer Thor Heyerdal's epic 4,300 miles crossing of the Pacific on a balsa wood raft in 1947, in an effort prove it was possible for South Americans to settle in Polynesia in pre-Columbian times.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUnmjQJHRP4

Apr-26 The Reluctant Fundamentalist (Thriller with Riz Ahmed, Keifer Sutherland, Kate Hudson and Liev Schreiber)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouXWUenv5_Y

Apr-26 The Numbers Station (Action thriller with John Cusack and Malin Akerman)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFZS3spi0Xw

Apr-26 Arthur Newman (Comedy drama with Emily Blunt, Colin Firth and Anne Heche)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peS3xbgKbaw

vCash
    I really want to see Kon-Tiki, and I thought it'd be all over Swedish cinemas, but it went up and disappeared again so fast I didn't even realised they'd showed it at all. Now I'm really bummed that I couldn't see it at the Gothenburg International Film Festival; it looks like a proper big screen epic about one of the first historical events I remember learning about in school.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast