View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 38.89%
  • Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 9.26%
  • March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 11.11%
  • March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 18.52%
  • April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 7.41%
  • April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 7.41%
  • April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 11.11%
  • April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 5.56%
  • May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 46.30%
  • Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 48.15%
  • Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 64.81%
  • May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    The more trailers I see for The Great Gatsby the more confident I am that I will probably only like it for the soundtrack.
    It's funny you said that -- I've just been thinking that I'll probably like it in spite of the soundtrack.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Neutral about Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, meh about Di Caprio, can't stand Baz Luhrmann's directing. Really love the book. Going to brave the flick.
    Carey Mulligan was Sally Sparrow in Doctor Who, I love that episode and thought she was awesome in it so that has earned her my fandom. Also I though she was amazing in Never Let Me Go, so I am willing to give this a chance for her.
    The only Baz Luhrmann movie I have seen is Moulin Rouge, and the last time I saw it was years ago. Before I really thought about the movies I saw. So I don't really remember if I liked the movie, or if I just liked Ewan McGregor in the movie. And while I could go back and rewatch it, I could also watch something else that I know I like. Or something I haven't seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    It's funny you said that -- I've just been thinking that I'll probably like it in spite of the soundtrack.
    Having looked at the soundtrack listing I am going to amend that to about half of the soundtrack, I didn't realize how much rap would be on it. I kind of forgot Jay-Z was producing it. But what little I've heard from the trailers still sounds good. At least according to my weird taste in music.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Neutral about Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, meh about Di Caprio, can't stand Baz Luhrmann's directing. Really love the book. Going to brave the flick.
    For me it's: love Carey Mulligan, neutral about Maguire, DiCaprio has gotten really samey but can be great and I think this will be right in his wheelhouse. I hated the book. Well, ok, didn't really hate it, but thought it was the most over-rated 20th century novel after anything by Hemmingway. But I love the look of that era, and I think Baz Luhrmann's touch could be electrifying, and his no-doubt dizzying, ott treatment could be just the thing to make me watch the movie.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wow, I absolutely love almost anything by both Hemingway and Fitzgerald. The Old Man and the Sea was a shattering experience when I read it as a kid.

You must have not enjoyed Midnight in Paris as much then.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    forgot to mention in my catchup post that I had senn, and highly approved of, "Anna Karinina." give me lavish visual extravagence and I'm usually a happy camper lol. "Killing Them Softly"--well.....uh, Brad Pitt was real good but everything and everyone else pretty much sucked.

Waiting not so patiently for my turn on "A Royal Affair." I needs me my Mads fix, whee!!

Today am taking home "the Queen of Versailles."
    the movie box with the newest films is out of service

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    You must have not enjoyed Midnight in Paris as much then.
    I absolutely loved Midnight in Paris. For many reasons ... one of which is the fact that wasn't written by either Fitzgerald or Hemmingway.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Waiting not so patiently for my turn on "A Royal Affair." I needs me my Mads fix, whee!!
    I'm impatiently waiting for that one too. At last check I was #9 in the library queue, but they have 4 copies so it shouldn't be too long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    For me it's: love Carey Mulligan, neutral about Maguire, DiCaprio has gotten really samey but can be great and I think this will be right in his wheelhouse. I hated the book. Well, ok, didn't really hate it, but thought it was the most over-rated 20th century novel after anything by Hemmingway. But I love the look of that era, and I think Baz Luhrmann's touch could be electrifying, and his no-doubt dizzying, ott treatment could be just the thing to make me watch the movie.
    Love Mulligan, neutral about Maguire and DiCaprio. However, have read The Great Gatsby twice and have seen the opera once, and I remember nothing, especially about the book. I'm giving it the most over-rated title also. Don't like Hemingway either, but I think I haven't read enough of him actually. May have to give him another try before I am sure.

Certainly am not going to see the movie; whatever version of the trailer I saw about 4-6 weeks ago turned me off completely. It looked awful.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I absolutely loved Midnight in Paris. For many reasons ... one of which is the fact that wasn't written by either Fitzgerald or Hemmingway.
    You may have noticed that it was Woody Allen's brilliant, ironic but loving Valentine to them and other artists of the time. And also the Belle Époque. It's Hemingway.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Of the independent/smaller movies coming out this week, only one (the first) is going on my To See list. Oh well, not every week will be like last week...

Apr-12 To the Wonder (Terrence Malick romantic drama with Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams and Javier Bardem)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAzcTZTY1g

Apr-12 Into the White (Historical action drama with Rupert Grint)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FZNHumVCs

Apr-12 The Angels' Share (Comedy drama from director Ken Roach…beware, no subtitles!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcQIvmR21VU

Apr-12 Antiviral (Horror sci-fi thriller written and directed by David Cronenberg’s son David)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJTd69dMyQ

Apr-12 It's a Disaster (“Comedy” with America Ferrera, Julia Stiles and David Cross)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA9S6NgzNYE

Apr-12 Dark Circles (Horror with Johnathon Schaech)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HVeqjqs9E

Apr-12 Not Today (Drama with new cast and John Schneider)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-UBqCzNv4
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Library has not even ordered "A Royal Affair" eeek! But I am 6th in line for when they do.... meantime I got lucky and got my hot lil hands on "the master." HOW in the h e dble l did Joaquin Phoenix NOT get an Oscar ???! my gawd what an OUTSTANDING performance!!! Wow. WOW. wow. Also a v interesting screenplay. Amy Adams was pretty WOW too.

vCash
    Did "NO" make it to many theatres in the US? Here in Canada, it only made it to maybe 1-2 screens in the entire city, but those screens were packed..

vCash
    Looking ahead to May, I think What Maisie Knew looks intriguing. It's based on a Henry James novel -- one that was really ahead of its time, so I think an update makes a lot of sense. Eager to see what they do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68pgeWPc-QI

I also might check out Not Today. I've written a bit about human trafficking before, so I might want to review it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So one of the movies I saw recently while house-sitting was Superstar (Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, Tom Green and Mark McKinney) . For some reason I thought it bombed at the box office (like most SNL movies have done), so I didn't expect much. I'm surprised I had never seen it because I LOVE Molly Shannon and I also love the Mary Katherine Gallagher character. So I was surprised to enjoy the movie so much. Ferrell is great as always and his character (the school stud) doesn't always do what you expect, so that made the movie much more interesting. The script was really great and all the supporting characters were very strong. Plus I love comedy that has an underlying dramatic depth to it, making it have a profound aspect to it, adding layers that other comedy movies completely miss out on. Shannon is great at this and delivers in spades. And according to the-numbers.com, the movie cost 16 million and made 32 million. Add on advertising costs to the budget and the movie doesn't come out as a blockbuster, but with TV rights and DVD rentals and sales, it did make a profit. Worth a view for sure.

Around 50,000 in the city with maybe another 25,000 in the surrounding area before the next major city....they still don't do loans on movies. Which is obnoxious and annoying. I just want more movies.
    Oh my goodness. Far too rural. You must move immediately!

It really does, and that kind of scares me because I feel like I shouldn't like anything Stephanie Meyers has been involved in. But there are so many good actors in it. I hate feeling so conflicted about a movie. I like the concept too. I think I'm going to wait until I've heard what other people think about it and then go from there.
    According to imdb.com, The Host has a screenplay written solely by Andrew Niccol. I'm sure he changed everything so that it resembles none of the work of Stephanie Meyers. Now go see the movie and enjoy the cast!

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Mental looks hilarious. Toni Colette can do no wrong as far as I am concerned.
    I agree. LOVE HER!!

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Oh my goodness. Far too rural. You must move immediately!
    According to imdb.com, The Host has a screenplay written solely by Andrew Niccol. I'm sure he changed everything so that it resembles none of the work of Stephanie Meyers. Now go see the movie and enjoy the cast!
    Would that I could. Right now it costs to much to leave. Also I don't think I can transfer in my job until August when I've been there for a year.
    I'm going to have to wait on The Host for a week or two, I'm back on nights for the rest of the week so it will come down to what I get for shifts on my next schedule. I dislike nights, not enough time to go to movies.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    I'm going to be back in the US next week and the only movies showing at my local theater are Scary Movie 5, Evil Dead, G.I. Joe, The Croods, and Jurassic Park. So...I guess I'm seeing Jurassic Park in 3D, because I have no interest at all in the other four. And I need to see a movie, you guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I'm going to be back in the US next week and the only movies showing at my local theater are Scary Movie 5, Evil Dead, G.I. Joe, The Croods, and Jurassic Park. So...I guess I'm seeing Jurassic Park in 3D, because I have no interest at all in the other four. And I need to see a movie, you guys.
    I feel for you.

I would have made the same decision as you did.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Another movie I saw while house-sitting was an Australian action drama starring Ryan Kwanten [True Blood]. I had never heard of it, but I love Kwanten, so had to check it out. Thought it was quite good. A great example of a movie from another country that for whatever reason gets little or no notice in other countries. Although I just checked imdb.com and while it got a good rating (6.4) the message board looks pretty harsh. But sometimes the posters there are pretty jerky (jerk-ish?). Plus there's some nice cinematography of the Australian countryside that I enjoyed. Not as beautiful as Kwanten, but still quite nice!

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Seeing "Oblivion" next week to get my sci-fi fix.
    I might have found a movie-going partner where I live, plus I have some movie passes I used with my Mom's air miles. So I'm hoping I'll be seeing this shortly after it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Saw G. I. Joe and it was not as bad as I feared but the storyline is complete BS so if you are going to see it go for the flashy explosions and fight scenes. What puzzles me is why Channing Tatum has such a tiny part in the movie.
    He seemed to have quite a big one in Magic Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    So picky!! Scary Movie looks really funny, Evil Dead seems to be getting some good buzz and The Croods looks BEAUTIFUL. I can live without G. I. Joe, though.

vCash
    I am a movie snob, PeterG. I thought you knew this I haven't even seen Scary Movie 4, and Mary McDonnell is it, and I generally have a rule that I see anything with her in it but...

vCash
    The trailer for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium hit the internet last night, and it looks SWEEET! Awesome environments, Sharlto fokken Copley with a fokken SWORD, and a space!Bugatti, even! Can it be August NOW?

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    The trailer for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium hit the internet last night, and it looks SWEEET! Awesome environments, Sharlto fokken Copley with a fokken SWORD, and a space!Bugatti, even! Can it be August NOW?
    I wish. The Worlds End got bumped to August and I am super excited for it. I have yet to see anything by Edgar Wright that I don't love. Elysium looks awesome. I anticipate much time spent in theatres in August.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast