View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 38.89%
  • Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 9.26%
  • March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 11.11%
  • March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 18.52%
  • April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 7.41%
  • April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 7.41%
  • April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 11.11%
  • April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 5.56%
  • May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 46.30%
  • Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 48.15%
  • Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 64.81%
  • May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I do have a good library system. It is very large (20+ branches) and it covers HUNDREDS of miles in it's area. But I do live within one hour of TEN other library systems. Earlier this year, I looked through my list of items that I could only find at some of these other library system and basically made a day of driving around to them to pick up a whole bunch of various things I had wanted for a year or two. Luckily I don't have to do that very often as I often pick up stuff when I'm at a random event in one of those cities.
    Maybe I should move lol. A bigger city would be better for libraries. More movies to borrow, more books to read. It would be a win/win really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Saw only the last 15 minutes of 'Dial M for Murder' on TV after I got home. Grace Kelly seems like a phenomenal actress, and so beautiful too. I hope to see the whole movie one of these days. When compared with today's movies, the lack of violence made the movie more interesting to me. I hope to see more Hitchcock movies, once I am back on Netflix. I have seen only 'Psycho' and 'Birds', 'Vertigo', and I don't remember anything from them, except for some scenes from Psycho (I think they have been shown on TV over and over).
    Love Dial M For Murder. It's one of my favourite Hitchcock movies. I totally agree with michiruwater, Rear Window is amazing.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    thanks Buzz, I am watching The Imposter now on Netflix canada. Looks interesting
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    They'd let him make a sequel after the first one bombed and was universally considered to be the worst movie of that year?... That would shock me.
    Me too.

He absolutely ruined the source material. Avatar: The Last Airbender has some of the most and biggest dedicated fan bases out there, and is really an exceptional television program. However, what Shyamalan did to it was a total crime that not even the most ardent fans could enjoy it. I doubt anyone would want to see the sequel.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    This week's new movies below. Not sure if it's because I'm only watching dramas lately, but only the first three are going on my To See list. Welcome To The Punch looks like a quality film, but too violent for me. The Place Beyond The Pines has a great cast, but the trailer did not grab my attention at all.

Mental (Comedy drama with Toni Collette, Anthony LaPaglia, Liev Schreiber)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3z4jWDesTA

The Host (Action adventure with Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons and Diane Kruger)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRKjf8b4f2E

Family Weekend (Kristin Chenoweth, Matthew Modine and Shirley Jones)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS-TpNKVrtw

Welcome to the Punch (Action adventure with James McAvoy, David Morrissey [The Walking Dead] and Mark Strong)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-O_v0mlx8

The Place Beyond the Pines (Crime drama with Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Eva Mendes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07pSbHLXgg

Renoir (French drama. From imdb.com: “Set on the French Riviera in the summer of 1915, Jean Renoir -- son of the Impressionist painter, Pierre-Auguste -- returns home to convalesce after being wounded in World War I…”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BENkbm28gNQ

My Brother the Devil (U.K. drama, new cast. From imdb.com: “Two teenage brothers must face their own prejudices head on if they are to survive the perils of being British Arabs growing up on the streets of gangland London.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjXLaDbU8A

Open Road (Dramatic thriller with Camilla Belle, Juliette Lewis, Colin Egglesfield and Andy Garcia)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hxqT7jubhA

Detour (Thriller, new cast. From imdb.com: “Trapped inside his car by a mudslide, smooth talking Jackson Alder suddenly finds himself in a situation he can't talk his way out of. With no hope of rescue, he must defy the odds; battling Mother Nature for his survival.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsawQo69Ww
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    The only ones that interest me from this list are:

The place beyond the pines (anything with Ryan Gosling is worth seeing, IMO)

Renoir - Would LOVE to see this!

I saw the trailer of 'The host' and did not like it, so I will skip that. I am really not into action/thrillers unless they are really good (suspense wise) and not gory

vCash
    I like Saoirse Ronan and Diane Kruger. I wish they were in something that Stephenie Meyer hadn't written.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Mental looks hilarious. Toni Colette can do no wrong as far as I am concerned.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just finished watching Jolene (Jessica Chastain, Rupert Friend, Frances Fisher, Chazz Palminteri, Theresa Russell, Michael Vartan, Denise Richards and Dermot Mulroney). Thought it was pretty good. A bit scattered, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing always. Really great cast and according to the DVD extras, this was Chastain's first movie. But be warned, there is some male nudity in this one. Who knew Mulroney had such a smooth, pert bod??

They'd let him make a sequel after the first one bombed and was universally considered to be the worst movie of that year?... That would shock me.
    According to the-numbers.com, The Last Airbender cost $150 million to make and made $320 million worldwide (plus 30 million in U.S. DVD sales alone). So I won't be surprised if there is a sequel. Haven't seen the first one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    Maybe I should move lol. A bigger city would be better for libraries. More movies to borrow, more books to read. It would be a win/win really.
    What's the population of your area? The large Okanagan library system in central British Columbia is a large system, but they hardly get any new movies. I will think twice before moving there for that reason alone.

I like Saoirse Ronan and Diane Kruger. I wish they were in something that Stephenie Meyer hadn't written.
    I thought the trailer for The Host looked better than the Twilight movies. A really good cast which also includes Jeremy Irons son Max, who seems to have his Dad's talent.

Afterlife
    vCash
    What's the population of your area? The large Okanagan library system in central British Columbia is a large system, but they hardly get any new movies. I will think twice before moving there for that reason alone.
    Around 50,000 in the city with maybe another 25,000 in the surrounding area before the next major city. Outside of Fort Macmurray I live in an area with one of the highest transitory populations. The Peace Library system is based out of here which sends out books to the whole area heading up to Peace River and up north a ways. But they are a seperate building and don't do a lot of inter-library loans, also our even though our library is part of a province wide inter-library network, they still don't do loans on movies. Which is obnoxious and annoying. I just want more movies.

I thought the trailer for The Host looked better than the Twilight movies. A really good cast which also includes Jeremy Irons son Max, who seems to have his Dad's talent.
    It really does, and that kind of scares me because I feel like I shouldn't like anything Stephanie Meyers has been involved in. But there are so many good actors in it. I hate feeling so conflicted about a movie. I like the concept too. I think I'm going to wait until I've heard what other people think about it and then go from there.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    I just don't want to give Meyer any more of my money after I decided to see the unintentionally-hilarious first Twilight movie in theaters.

vCash
    "The Host" was awful. Saoirse Ronan is a much better actress than this. She is lovely in person though -- shared an elevator with her last weekend.

Seeing "Oblivion" next week to get my sci-fi fix.

If you like a good mindf---, watch "Trance" next week. Oh, if you're into full-frontal Rosario Dawson that's another good reason.

vCash
    Saw G. I. Joe and it was not as bad as I feared but the storyline is complete BS so if you are going to see it go for the flashy explosions and fight scenes. What puzzles me is why Channing Tatum has such a tiny part in the movie.

vCash
    Seriously, all_empty, what is your job and how do I get it?

vCash
    Rumours of a Crow remake have been circulating for a while and the latest have it starring James McAvoy and directed by Javier Gutierrez.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100799

vCash
    I watched The Croods this week and I like it

The world they explored was just so beautiful. All that colours, all that wonders I really like the character development the family had, especially the father I like the humour and even the sappiness they put in, I thought it was just the right amount

Still waiting to watch Oz. I heard a few less-than-flattering review though (my friends thought the movie is sexist)

vCash
    I just watched Blade Runner for the first time. I rented The Final Cut version on Amazon, and I'm wondering if that was a mistake just because it means I didn't see the theatrical version everyone else probably saw first. From what I can tell the biggest differences are the lack of a narration and a different ending in the version I watched.

I loved it though. Seriously well done. I think it's one that I'll have to watch several times to pick up on all the nuances I missed the first time. I loved the score, too. Very effective. And Harrison, but, I mean,

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Some movies that I 100% recommend:

Now Is Good (Dakota Fanning, Jeremy Irvine [War Horse], Paddy Considine and Olivia Williams) - Very sweet story, featuring two of my favourites (Dakota and Paddy). One of those movies that you can relax and enjoy and not have to worry about too many obvious things happening (which can make me sort of crash when I'm really enjoying a movie and then something too obvious happens). Irvine looks very handsome in this movie, as he did in War Horse. So I google imaged him...and while he's attractive, his film directors sure know how to take advantage of his looks.

Partition (Jimi Mistry, Kristin Kreuk, Neve Campbell) - I have wanted to see this movie for a LONG time and finally had some spare time AND saw the movie sitting on shelf at the library, so I finally got to see it. Wasn't disappointed, which is something that can happen when my expectations slowly grow while I put off watching something. I suppose some might see parts of this as melodramatic, but the separating Pakistan and India is a VERY dramatic theme.

Killer Elite (Jason Statham, Clive Owen, Robert De Niro and Dominic Purcell) - This is a really good movie on it's own merits, but it really helped clarify my feelings about movie violence. This movie has a very good story and violence is not the main theme, but something that occurs because dialogue and resolution is not really a possibility for those involved. In other movies, violence is seemingly celebratory...I'm starting to think that some people have a fetish for it and get off on the gratuitious violence which replaces communication and the belief that people can work through their issues peacefully. As for the movie itself, Jason Statham has never been better, a real character instead of a comic book type of action hero. It helps that he has a good script and director as well as a great cast to push him to be his best. And who knew that the Welshman was Dominic Purcell! When I saw his name in the final credits, I thought, "wasn't he the guy from Prison Break? Where was HE in this movie??"

Sarah’s Key (Kristin Scott Thomas and Aidan Quinn) - I think I said in an earlier post that I'm watching WAY too movies with holocaust as a theme, but I've heard good things about this one and couldn't resist. And I'm glad I didn't, this is a must-see. One of the final scenes was just perfect and beautiful and worthy of all the wasted Kleenex. Hey, there's nothing like a good sinus cleanse, right?

Deadfall (Eric Bana, Olivia Wilde, Charlie Hunnam, Treat Williams, Kate Mara, Kris Kristofferson and Sissy Spacek) - Entertainment Weekly was quite brutal with their review of this one, their reviewer must have been having a bad day. I quite liked this one. Doesn't hurt to have two attractive male leads to ogle and SISSY SPACEK who should be in every movie that gets made. Thumbs up Deadfall, thumbs down to Entertainment Weekly!

vCash
    Saw Partition some time ago and loved it. Glad to see I was not the only one. Watched "Forgotten Warriors" yesterday. It s a documentary about Canada's native veterans and the crappy treatment they got after returning home fom past conflicts. It is fairly old from 1996 but worth watching. Got it from Netflix.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Why do folks think The Great Gatsby was pushed back?

I want to see it but am leery of Baz Luhrmann's work as I couldn't stomach Moulin Rouge and its relentless cocaine-fueled editing.

I am interested in Scary Movie 5, having laughed my butt off with 1-3. Didn't catch 4.

I do want to see the Steve Jobs movie, Kutcher and all.

Saw Oz, thought it was poorly put together albeit very colorful. Mila Kunis wasn't at her best and James Franco was especially bad. Rachel Weisz was the one redeeming factor.

I was reading something about Rachel McAdams (my own girl crush--she was a figure skater, won regionals!!) and that she is starring in Passion with Noomi Rapace of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo fame. I will watch pretty much anything with Rachel McAdams but The Notebook.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 03-30-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Why do folks think The Great Gatsby was pushed back?
    Because they're going to re-shoot it with a new script and director?

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast