View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 38.89%
  • Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 9.26%
  • March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 11.11%
  • March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 18.52%
  • April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 7.41%
  • April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 7.41%
  • April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 11.11%
  • April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 5.56%
  • May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 46.30%
  • Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 48.15%
  • Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 64.81%
  • May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I don't mind looking at Ewan McGregor for a few hours, but listening to him "sing"? Such a nasally, whiney voice. No thank you.

vCash
    Um ... That's an interesting take on Ewan's voice, lol. I can listen to his version of 'Your Song' and 'Come What May' all day

vCash
    His voice isn't perfect, but I still like it. And at least he had some power in it. I adore the movie, but at the end when Kidman is supposed to be singing live from a stage even at 11 I was like, the first row wouldn't even hear her.

Jim Broadbent kicks ass, though.

vCash
    I saw 'Oz the great and powerful' in 3D today. It was quite entertaining and I liked the idea of creating a prequel to The Wizard of Oz. It fit that story perfectly. I was not impressed with James Franco (may be because I have seen him do so well in very challenging roles). Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis as the three witches were good. The visuals were nice and not overdone like some CGI movies are. The china doll was cute. Overall a nice way to spend a couple of hours and forget that the rest of the world exists.

vCash
    Sorry Ryan Gosling fans, my screening to "The Place Beyond The Pines" was cancelled.

Up next week is Danny Boyle's "Trance," and if anyone REALLY wants, "The Adventures of Burt Wonderstone." Anyone, LOL?

Loved the animated supporting cast in "Oz," too.

vCash
    ...I kinda want to see The Adventures of Burt Wonderstone.

vCash
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thanks to Mr. Jerry Bruckheimer we will be getting sequels to; Top Gun, National Treasure, Bad Boys, and not one TWO Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thanks to Mr. Jerry Bruckheimer we will be getting sequels to; Top Gun, National Treasure, Bad Boys, and not one TWO Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
    Not bad news for me; I don't think I have seen any of the originals you mentioned (exception might be for some cut up version of National Treasure shown on TV) so I won't be needing to spend $$$ on the sequels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I hate sequels, but you are only a messenger. No problem.

vCash
    *siiiiigh*

Why can't films just be films these days, why does everything have to be a "franchise starter"?

vCash
    Not sure if this film has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but last night I saw the documentary Sound City, directed by Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) about the famous recording studio of the same name. It is excellent. The first part tells the story of the studio, and in the second part Grohl buys the studio's mixing board, sets up his own studio, and invites musicians who recorded at Sound City to come and play with him.

You have to love a film that's big hearted enough to include Rick Springfield, Lee Ving from the punk band Fear, Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails, Paul McCartney, and Stevie Nicks. And every single one of them

I saw the film on video-on-demand, but I believe you can also pay to watch it online at the film's website (soundcity.com).
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    *siiiiigh*

Why can't films just be films these days, why does everything have to be a "franchise starter"?
    Because , that's why.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    *siiiiigh*

Because no one has had an original idea in Hollywood for 30 years.

vCash
    There are plenty of movies released every year that are not part of franchises. Plus, just because a movie is a member of a franchise doesn't mean it sucks. Skyfall, the HP series, THG are all recent examples.

The Twilight series notwithstanding

And what exactly constitutes an original idea these days? I hear that a lot. Obviously, every film can't be original, but there are plenty of well-made, good films every year, and every once in a while there is one that stands out as original. Last year I thought both The Artist and, in particular, Tree of Life qualified. Avatar had a hugely derivative script, but as a whole I would definitely say it was original. Movies have been around for a while now - can anything at this point have quite the effect of Star Wars or Citizen Kane?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Okay, I need feedback on the second trailer listed here for the smaller movies opening this week (Upside Down). Only the first trailer is going on my To See list, but I'm wondering if Upside Down should be as well. To me it looks to be a very beautiful film...with a wonderful premise...but a stupid story. What do you think, interested? As for the rest of the trailers, the last two look AWFUL.

Ginger & Rosa (Drama with Elle Fanning, Annette Bening, Christina Hendricks, Oliver Platt and Alessandro Nivola)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teNx6pbN-_c

Upside Down (Dramatic fantasy romance with Kirsten Dunst, Jim Sturgess and Timothy Spall)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdlrOP22NM

If I Were You (Comedy drama with Marcia Gay Harden and Aidan Quinn)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJflyxYsNM

The Kitchen (Comedy with Bryan Greenberg, Laura Prepon and Dreama Walker)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49yUBfaCT_U

Reincarnated (Documentary. From imdb.com: “Hip Hop artist Snoop Dogg changes his name to Snoop Lion, travels to Jamaica, emerges himself in Rastafarian culture and produces his first reggae record.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tse40JPyyU8

K-11 (Drama with Goran Visnjic, D. B. Sweeney and Jason Mewes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQlXOCHl8Q

My Amityville Horror (Documentary. From imdb.com: “For the first time in 35 years, Daniel Lutz recounts his version of the infamous Amityville haunting that terrified his family in 1975.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WOHxGw2VU
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Okay, I need feedback on the second trailer listed here for the smaller movies opening this week (Upside Down).

Upside Down (Dramatic fantasy romance with Kirsten Dunst, Jim Sturgess and Timothy Spall)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdlrOP22NM
    At first I thought, "romance... not my cup of tea..." and then I watch the trailer... OMG! Why is this a smaller movie? It is visually beautiful and the concept is interesting Thanks Peter, I'm going to try and catch this one

vCash
    There is a documentary about WW2 opening on April 5th and I hope it comes to a cinema near me. It is called "No Place on Earth" and is about a group of Jewish Ukrainians who hid in a cave for 18 months to escape the Nazis.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_hNOs...%3D_hNOso-UFCI

P.S.
    Upside Down = Not my cup of tea. Silly twist to the Romeo & Juliet tale.

vCash
    The teaser trailer for Sofia Coppola's latest film, The Bling Ring, was released a few days ago. It stars Emma Watson and a bunch of newcomers playing the real life Bling Ring, a group of teenagers who burglarized a few celebrity homes (including Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Orlando Bloom, and Rachel Bilson).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLVQIFrmHX8

Coppola shows off her ability to use music effectively yet again. I think the teaser is pretty effective.

vCash
    I finally saw Inglorious Basterds and hated it, like I do most things Tarantino. The only Tarantino film I remotely liked was Jackie Brown, and that was because of Pam Grier.

vCash
    I saw Oz this weekend (IMAX 3D) and I really enjoyed it. The visuals were great (as to be expected) but I was surprised that I really liked this explanation of how the wizard came to be in Oz and of how the Wicked Witch of the West ended up being so wicked...I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but I thought it was an interesting twist. I enjoyed all three witches and thought they played their parts well. Even though Franco looked a bit high at times, he played his role well too. I loved the China doll and Finley the monkey...and Nook was funny too!

Rumor is this is supposed to be the first in a franchise which leads me to wonder if they are planning on introducing Dorothy to the mix. I'm guessing there is more to explore in terms of the witches and their relationships but can you make a whole movie out of that? IDK, but I guess we'll see...

Overall, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. I'm not one who sees something in 3D just b/c it's in 3D but I feel like this movie (like Avatar) should be seen in 3D. There are some good bits of 3D (stuff coming off the screen at you) integrated throughout but it's not excessive or pointless. It's worth the extra $3 or $4...and if you can see it in IMAX, I'd recommend that as well...especially when Oz is coming into the land: you feel like you're free-falling! Very cool...

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast