Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    ...but I'm not a big fan with playing people off to Jaws. Like it or not, it IS the Oscars and it's a really, really big moment for a lot of people, and they take it seriously. Joke all you like during the intros, but once it comes to the actual winners, let them have their moment and not make it all about your clever joke.
    I suppose you're right. Can you imagine them playing Meryl Streep off with JAWS if she rambled during an acceptance speech? Heads would roll.

However, I must admit I thought it was appropiate when they played off the special effects winner for his rambling. I thought the guy was pretty rude in rattling off a boring laundry list of names, including what seemed to be his entire family, without offering the mic to his colleagues so they could have a chance to at least thank their loved ones.

vCash
    For you Glamour Pusses.... a few beauty blogs have been dishing on the makeup the stars wore and some have the products used.

Here are few of my favorites.
    @ IceAlisa, Adele wore mostly Armani cosmetics and her makeup artist Michael Ashton used ARMANI MAESTRO FOUNDATION.
    I know the foundation didn't work out for you. I thought you'd get a kick of that

Adele's Look
    Makeup Breakdown

For Adele’s Academy Award visage, makeup artist Michael Ashton created a modern take on a classic look focusing on her flawless complexion and high-volume lashes. Please see below for products used.

Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion Makeup in #4
    Lancôme Teint Miracle Instant Retouch Pen in #2
    Smashbox Contour Powder
    Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Powder in #4
    Create a luminous complexion by massaging Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion Makeup into the skin. Add a sheer veil of Lancôme Teint Miracle Instant Retouch Pen near the inner tear ducts of the eye and high planes of the face. Use a large, soft powder brush to dust the t-zone with Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Powder

Giorgio Armani Brow Defining Pencil in #3
    Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Quad in #6
    Maybelline Studio Gel Eye Liner in Black
    Lancôme Hypnôse Mascara
    According to Michael, beautiful brows can make any eye. Brush them into place using clear brow gel and then using feather strokes, fill and define with Giorgio Armani Brow Defining Pencil. Create a sultry eye by highlighting and contouring the socket with Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Quad #6. Then extend the eye line with Maybelline Gel Liner and pump up the lashes with Lancôme Hypnôse Mascara.

Giorgio Armani Lip Liner in #12
    Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro in #500
    Sisley Lip Gloss in White Diamond
    For decorated but understated lips, fill with Giorgio Armani Lip Liner #12. Finger press Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro #500 onto the lips and finish by adding a touch of Sisley White Diamond Gloss.

Clarlize Theron

Makeup artist Pati Dubroff created a “glowing” look for Theron.

Face: Diorsnow White Reveal Moisturizing Lotion and Diorsnow Fresh Cream, Diorsnow White Reveal Illuminating Eye Treatment, Diorskin Nude BB Cream.
    Eyes: Diorshow Mascara in #090 Catwalk Black, Dior 5-Couleurs Eyeshadow in Incognito and Dior Twin Set Eyeshadow in Beige Ribbon #530.
    Lips: Dior Addict Lip Glow, Rouge Dior Nude in Indiscrete #228.
    Anne Hathaway -
    Makeup Artist Kate Lee

Skincare: Chanel Hydra Beauty Serum, Laura Mercier Hydrating Foundation Primer
    Foundation: Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra Light Skin Perfectin Sunscreen Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15, Chanel Perfection Lumiere, Make Up For Ever Uplight, Illamasqua Hollow Cream Color Pigment, Cle de Peau Translucent Loose Powder
    Blush: Chanel Star Dust Joues Contraste
    Eyeshadow: Laura Mercier Eye Canvas
    Mascara: Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara
    Eyebrows: Anastasia Brow Wiz Pencil
    Lips: Chanel Seduisante Rouge Allure
    Olivia Munn
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Makeup artist Jillian Dempsey created a stunning look for Jennifer Lawrence.

Face: Diorskin Forever Foundation, Diorskin Nude Tan Bronzer, Diorblush in Peachy Keen #553.
    Eyes: Dior 5-Couleurs Eyeshadow in Bleu de Paris #254, Diorshow Mascara in Catwalk Black #090, Dior Style Liner.
    Lips: Dior Addict Lipstick in Beige Casual #222.
    Kerry Washington
    Makeup Artist Carola Gonzalez used the embellishments on the dress as her inspiration for a radiant, natural look with just a hint of color on the eyes and the cheeks.

Giorgio Armani Maestro #10
    Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer #11
    Lancôme Blush Subtil in Brilliant Berry
    Lancôme Color Design 5-Pan Shadow & Liner Palette in Sienna Sultry
    Lancôme Hypnôse Star Mascara
    Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro 202
    Lancôme Rouge in Love in Rose Boudoir
    Jessica Chastain

Kelly Rowland
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I thought she was perfect as Katniss.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Meeeee too. I admit that when I read the Hunger Games for the first time I already knew that Jennifer might be cast so I had her face in my head, but still, I thought she was perfect. I thought she could have been directed a little better in the film (the entire direction of the film wasn't ALL that great, I thought...) but I have high hopes for Francis Lawrence who will be directing the other three movies. He seems to "get" Katniss from the book and the overarching themes, so I'm quite hopeful he will pull out an even better performance out of Jennifer. And especially since she'll be better acquainted with her character, and will have a lot more interaction with other actors in the film (she was alone a lot in THG), it should be very good.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, topaz. Adele's make up looked great. Lol at the Maestro! Glad it works for her and Kerry Washington.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Wow, I just read on Seth MacFarlane's imdb full bio profile that he was booked on the infamous plane flight (one of the planes) that hit the World Trade Center in September 2001. He arrived too late to board the flight because his travel agent screwed up the departure time.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532235/

He was able to contact his parents within 20 minutes of Flight 11 striking the first tower to tell them he was okay. He said that he thanked his travel agent for screwing up the departure time or he would have been on board.

A pretty close call, but I guess it was fated that he didn't board that flight. I guess it's enough to make anyone happy to be alive with a permanent smile plastered on their face and wacky humor that some find offensive. I guess everything is like icing on the cake after realizing you cheated death.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    I suppose you're right. Can you imagine them playing Meryl Streep off with JAWS if she rambled during an acceptance speech? Heads would roll.

However, I must admit I thought it was appropiate when they played off the special effects winner for his rambling. I thought the guy was pretty rude in rattling off a boring laundry list of names, including what seemed to be his entire family, without offering the mic to his colleagues so they could have a chance to at least thank their loved ones.
    He did ramble a bit but people are upset because he was addressing the very real financial problems the overall VFX industry is facing and got shark'd and muted.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    To her credit, despite her lack of a filter she hasn't really done anything to hurt her reputation...sure, she says a lot of things that I'm sure she probably wouldn't say on second thought, but apart from maybe flipping the bird with her Oscar (and one article I read seemed to think that it was a bit of an accident and she was embarrassed afterwards), I can't think of anything. She's never mean-spirited, which is key...people can forget most mishaps if it's clear that your intentions were nothing but good. Plus, she's cute and funny.
    That is most definitely key. As long as you're genuinely sincere, you can do all sorts of crazy things and people will still love you.

Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    He did ramble a bit but people are upset because he was addressing the very real financial problems the overall VFX industry is facing and got shark'd and muted.
    I'm acquainted with a bunch of artists, and all of them have been sporting a bright green square as their Facebook profile pic since the Oscars, for solidarity over Rhythm and Hues filing for bankruptcy even as they're winning all these awards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Wow, I just read on Seth MacFarlane's imdb full bio profile that he was booked on the infamous plane flight (one of the planes) that hit the World Trade Center in September 2001. He arrived too late to board the flight because his travel agent screwed up the departure time.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532235/

What an awesome stroke of luck! He was meant to live. I am sure he feels grateful for every minute of the rest of his life- I would.

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    It will be interesting to see how JLaw matures as both a person and an actor. IOW as charming as she is now (lawd, how much time have I spent laughing at her interviews on YouTube the past couple weeks) you can't stay the wide-eyed, completely unfiltered kid forever.

In a recent AV Club post someone described her as an idiot savant of an actress. (If you don't know, she's had no formal training, reportedly doesn't really "study" her lines and, I think, her best takes in difficult scenes are usually the early ones.) So I'll be curious how that will translate into a continued wide range of roles.

This movie , shot last year, just after they did SLP, sounds like an intense acting challenge.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247690/?ref_=sr_2

vCash
    Since she grew up here, JLaw gets lots of local press. Here is an interesting article that appeared in the December 2010 issue of Louisville Magazine.

http://www.louisville.com/content/to...awrence-movies

By age five she was quoting lines from Billy Madison and acting out Cheri Oteri’s cheerleader character from Saturday Night Live. “We nicknamed her ‘Nitro’ because she was so hyper,” says Lawrence’s brother Ben, 10 years her senior.
    “She liked to be with her easel and her books; she had places in her mind to go,” her mother says. “She never fit in anywhere.”

“Careful,” her father says with a laugh. “This is being recorded.”

“Well, she didn’t,” her mother replies. “I can remember mumbling to myself, ‘I know what Robin Williams’ mother feels like.’ You wondered what was going to come out of her mouth next.”
    One of Lawrence’s first times onstage was at Christ Methodist Church, as a prostitute from Nineveh in a play about the Book of Jonah. “This little extra just took over,” her mother says. “She played the best prostitute.” At Music Theatre Louisville, Lawrence had a role as a playing card in Alice in Wonderland.

Christopher Noah, who taught Lawrence ancient history when she was a Kammerer Middle School seventh-grader, remembers the class studying Greek mythology and acting out different parts. “If we were doing something about Cupid and Psyche,” Noah says, “Jen would take the role of Psyche and change her voice and mannerisms.”

At 14, before heading to New York, Lawrence went to Walden Theatre, at one point playing Desdemona in Shakespeare’s Othello. Charlie Sexton, Walden Theatre’s artistic director, says, “Jennifer stood apart from the standpoint of seeing herself in a career. Most eighth-graders weren’t thinking that far ahead, but she was ready to get to L.A.”

Says Lawrence’s mother: “That’s the only time I can say she really loved something and connected with it.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentedButHumble View Post
    It will be interesting to see how JLaw matures as both a person and an actor. IOW as charming as she is now (lawd, how much time have I spent laughing at her interviews on YouTube the past couple weeks) you can't stay the wide-eyed, completely unfiltered kid forever.

In a recent AV Club post someone described her as an idiot savant of an actress. (If you don't know, she's had no formal training, reportedly doesn't really "study" her lines and, I think, her best takes in difficult scenes are usually the early ones.) So I'll be curious how that will translate into a continued wide range of roles.

This movie , shot last year, just after they did SLP, sounds like an intense acting challenge.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247690/?ref_=sr_2
    I think what will help her is the fact that she's set to star in two films that, regardless of the reviews, are certain to be big box office performer. Being in a blockbuster usually helps actors and actresses maintain enough of a profile that they can get a decent choice of scripts. Unless she starts turning into Lindsay Lohan, her acting career should be fine for a while.

As I said earlier, out of the young Hollywood set who made their mark in big franchises, the one whose career raises the biggest questions is Kristen Stewart. Twilight made her very rich, but Bella Swan is just such a horrible character and that, coupled with her public awkwardness, pretty much has most people convinced she cannot act. Some of her pre-Bella roles were quite good but, aside from her role as Joan Jett, she's been forgettable in her other recent non-Twilight acting. She might do well to go the Emma Watson route of choosing lower profile roles, either a small supporting one in an Oscar bait film or some indie films.

vCash
    I thought JLaw acted quite well in The Hunger Games. I went in skeptical of her, but ended up really liking her performance. Josh Hutcherson was the best actor of the bunch (not that Liam Hemsworth was given much to do). I got the feeling that in SLP, she was just playing an amped-up version of herself.

As for Kristen Stewart, I recently watched Snow White and the Huntsmen ... no, she is not a good actress.

vCash
    One of JLaw’s biggest advantages is that there is very little competition. For a while there, we were getting movies with Angelina, Julia, Sandra, and Reese playing characters that were a little younger than they were, or doing there same roles over and over. And not that I am poo-poohing aging actresses in Hollywood, but I was looking for some fresh faces (in movies not geared towards 13 year olds a la Twilight). So yay, Jennifer (and Melissa McCarthy). Outside of them, there are not many interesting newer faces in mainstream movies.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    ...To her credit, despite her lack of a filter she hasn't really done anything to hurt her reputation...sure, she says a lot of things that I'm sure she probably wouldn't say on second thought, but apart from maybe flipping the bird with her Oscar (and one article I read seemed to think that it was a bit of an accident and she was embarrassed afterwards), I can't think of anything. She's never mean-spirited, which is key...people can forget most mishaps if it's clear that your intentions were nothing but good. Plus, she's cute and funny.
    E! Online had both the flip-off pic and one supposedly taken moments later that would probably classify as the "embarrassed afterwards" shot.

The Bird

They just said that she offered it to someone in the room, then realized that the room was full of cameras. they dont really explain the context. does anyone know?
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    One of JLaw’s biggest advantages is that there is very little competition. For a while there, we were getting movies with Angelina, Julia, Sandra, and Reese playing characters that were a little younger than they were, or doing there same roles over and over. And not that I am poo-poohing aging actresses in Hollywood, but I was looking for some fresh faces (in movies not geared towards 13 year olds a la Twilight). So yay, Jennifer (and Melissa McCarthy). Outside of them, there are not many interesting newer faces in mainstream movies.
    I would throw Emma Stone's name into the mix, although she might end up on the rom-com track since she seems to have more of the "goofy hot girl" vibe going on.

I get this feeling that Kristen Stewart could go either way. She might end up a very acclaimed actress by the time she reaches her thirties, or she could still be grimacing through some more teeny-bopper crap until she's aged out of it. She doesn't come across as the warmest person in the world, but I do find myself feeling sympathy for her for all the crap she seems to get.

On a different note, I made the mistake of watching Winter's Bone on the same night I saw Precious. Both excellent movies, but boy was I ready for a Police Academy movie after that.
    Last edited by martian_girl; 02-28-2013 at 12:36 AM.

vCash
    I think the big thing is she doesn't do anything to really piss off the powers that be. I know some like Mira Sorvino disappear after their oscar or some like Adrien Brody are relegated to doing movies with Lindsay Lohan. But then we have Ben Affleck who had quite the succession of stinkers in the early part of last decade but didn't have too hard a time getting back into fan and critics' good graces. Gwyneth has not really done anything special since her Oscar win but she has the connections to get a good role if she wants it.

I think with the two franchises coming up, her career should be good for the next couple of years. But she probably needs to make sure she doesn't start hanging out with Lohan and to remember to thank Harvey Weinstein for her next few award speeches to ensure she is a first choice for good roles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Gwyneth has not really done anything special since her Oscar win but she has the connections to get a good role if she wants it.
    But, she didn't deserve it and she is average at her at best.

vCash
    I loved Gwyneth in SIL. She just glowed in that movie.

vCash
    I thought Gwyneth was perfect for SIL also and deserved her Oscar. It's one of my favorites romantic movies/ chick flicks. She was also good in Talented Mr. Ripley.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast