Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The problem with J Law, IMO, is that she doesn't have much teleprompter ability. I saw her in person back when she was promoting Winter's Bone, and she had to read something off a teleprompter, but she kept stopping and giggling and apologizing for stumbling over her words. I think some basic teleprompter training would make her a much better SNL/Oscars/general host.

Although, I must say, I wish she'd been a little classier and not flipped off the photographers after winning her award.

I laughed at Seth MacFarlane's jokes because I thought they were funny. The MAJORITY of the nudity he cited in that song was gratuitous, TBTH. Were there rape scenes in there? Yes, but that had little to do with the point of the song--the idea was, "what's the most offensive thing he could possibly do?" I think we have the answer.

Also, I thought his Ted routine (the Jewish one) was hysterically funny. My big Jewish family and I were laughing so hard. On that one, we were laughing because we're LA people and it's so true--entertainment is full of Jews, and we thought it was clever!

It's just annoying because there's literally no joke anyone can make anymore. A Jewish joke offends the ADL; an African-American joke offends the NAACP; a "misogynistic" (and I'm putting that in quotes because I really think people missed the point here) joke gets feminists up in arms; there is NO acceptable joke.

At least no one can be offended that he excluded their minority.

ETA: I do consider myself a feminist. But I'm also a very young feminist in an era when stuff like this comes out, and I'm willing to bet that Seth MacFarlane was not thinking along the same lines as these a*******.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    The problem with J Law, IMO, is that she doesn't have much teleprompter ability. I saw her in person back when she was promoting Winter's Bone, and she had to read something off a teleprompter, but she kept stopping and giggling and apologizing for stumbling over her words. I think some basic teleprompter training would make her a much better SNL/Oscars/general host.

Although, I must say, I wish she'd been a little classier and not flipped off the photographers after winning her award.
    That I actually didn't mind too much. She really doesn't take herself seriously, so it meant nothing.

ETA: I do consider myself a feminist. But I'm also a very young feminist in an era when stuff like this comes out, and I'm willing to bet that Seth MacFarlane was not thinking along the same lines as these a*******.
    Seth McFarlane has more intelligence in his pinky nail than that guy has in his entire frat.

vCash
    I don't think it's a matter of not being able to make jokes about anything at all any more because somebody will get offended.

There are boundaries of good taste, sure, and some people make their living by pushing those boundaries, and at some point offense will occur. But there's a difference between being offensive by pushing the limits, and being offensive by joking about things that just aren't funny. And jokes about assault or abuse are not OK.

Seth MacFarlane's boobies song was stupid, but it could have been just as stupid without including the names of actresses who were showing their boobies because their character was being raped. The joke that used Rihanna and Chris Brown as the punchline was stupid too, but it also could have been stupid without including that particular punchline.

IMHO Ricky Gervais is a good example of someone who pushes the boundaries by saying "oh no he DIDN'T" type things, but his comments are generally witty and aren't based on things that just should not be joked about.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Whole post

I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence but I don't think she would be a good host for the Oscars. She said herself in an interview that she is terrified at speaking in front of a crowd not to mention the billions around the world looking at her live.

Kathy Griffin would be disastrously hilarious but she's still not that mainstream in the entertainment industry yet to get the gig. Regardless I don't think Oscar hosts should follow a cookie cutter style that's proven to be popular like Billy Crystal's tenure in the 90s and whoever they chose should bring their own way of relevance to the show. Even Billy Crystal himself was criticized to be stale when he hosted again a few years ago.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My husband and I at the Ted/Wahlberg Jewish jokes. And it's not up to some self-important idiot at the New Yorker to tell me what is and isn't anti-Semitic. It was hysterical and rather close to the truth as Jews are over-represented in Hollywood.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Uh, guys, Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars last year. And was apparently forgettable enough that no one remembers that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Uh, guys, Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars last year. And was apparently forgettable enough that no one remembers that
    Not me, I'm still having nightmares about his plastic face.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I didn't watch the Oscars last year.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I think the Academy itself is going through some growing pains right now and isn't really sure what it *is* at the moment. If you make the show nice and safe and are heavy on the pomp and circumstance (i.e. play up the dignity and glitz) then people call it boring, but if you start hiring comedians to host the show, it's going to be on the irreverent side and you CAN'T get up in arms when not all jokes are funny to everyone.

The Golden Globes work because they KNOW they're not about the glamor and glitz so nobody gets REALLY offended over the jokes. I mean, Ricky Gervais ruffled feathers but they BROUGHT HIM BACK after that. If that's not taking yourself too seriously, I don't know what is.

So far the most recent host that I've liked the most was Hugh Jackman. Funny and disarming, but still brought a sense of importance and "history" to the show, if you know what I mean. It's awesome when you make people laugh and make the show enjoyable, but I'm not a big fan with playing people off to Jaws. Like it or not, it IS the Oscars and it's a really, really big moment for a lot of people, and they take it seriously. Joke all you like during the intros, but once it comes to the actual winners, let them have their moment and not make it all about your clever joke.

Speaking of, when WILL the Academy ever learn to actually budget in time for acceptance speeches?!? We all know it's not "good TV" to listen to people ramble on and on, but it IS an awards show and there ARE people to be thanked. Budget time on the generous side and if the show starts going undertime towards the end (gasp), then have some fluff pieces and stuff that you can throw in to pad the time. It will help separate the gap between the "big" awards but if you're right on time with the show, you can cut it and nobody has to be rushed at the end. Poor George Clooney. And then you don't have to make Kirsten Chenowith sing over the credits, either!

Seriously though, it's the Oscars; budget time for speeches and get things moving early. If they'd just gotten the show going a bit sooner and saved a lot of Seth's intro material for later, they could have cut half of it easily and nobody would have noticed or cared. :p

vCash
    John Travolta's "hair" looks very odd.

I enjoyed the numbers performed by CZJ, Jen Hudson, and the Les Mis cast (minus Crowe and HBC, who looked kinda lost). Streisand was great - like butuh, although it was kind of sad to notice that her voice isn't what it once was anymore.

I can't believe how much of a sour-puss Kristen Stewart came across on the show. She was off putting.

vCash
    Why can't the Oscars start at 8pm Eastern and end at 11pm, with less jokes and filler numbers, just do it, show us a few clips, perhaps interview the nominees and give out the awards. It was 8:30-12 midnight in my area, ridiculously late.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Why can't the Oscars start at 8pm Eastern and end at 11pm, with less jokes and filler numbers, just do it, show us a few clips, perhaps interview the nominees and give out the awards. It was 8:30-12 midnight in my area, ridiculously late.
    Hey, we West Coasters get screwed enough with the Nationals and other skating events broadcast skategods know when. We can at least watch the Oscars at a decent hour.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I didn't watch the Oscars last year.
    Was Angelina's leg last year? That was the only memorable event IIRC.

We saw your leg. We saw your leg. At the Oscars show we saw, we saw your leg...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Spareoom, ITA with your whole post! Forget the lame jokes, and budget time for the acceptance speeches.

By the time the next year rolls around, I usually can't remember most of the winners, let alone who hosted from the previous year. Probably like most people (even film buffs), I have to look it up. Altho' Seth may prove to be somewhat unforgettable, if for nothing else than his cheeky, self-aware Christopher Knight Brady Bunch vibe. Since Seth was lambasted pretty heavily right from the start when he announced the nominees in January with off-putting jokes that offended some observers, the Academy seemed to have decided to grin and bear it. No way Seth was gonna be ditched at the 11th hour, so all involved apparently ran with the 'so offensive, aren't I?' angle.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh well. I've never seen Jennifer Lawrence in anything, not the Playbook, not The Hunger Games and not the SNL skit. My only exposure were the post-Oscar presser and the Jack Nicholson incident. She was super cute and unaffected. And yes, irreverent, love that.
    You should definitely catch Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. At this point, out of her three major roles, Winter's Bone is her best work, IMO.

http://www.wintersbonemovie.com/

Yep, Angelina started a new/ old trend with the thigh-high slit leg flashing.

vCash
    Totally agree; you need to see Winter's Bone. It's the grittiest role Jen has done and she does it well. You watch it, and you forget it's Jennifer Lawrence...her character is nothing like her; no quirky, funny side. Just a young girl with manner beyond her years.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, will check it out.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I can't believe how much of a sour-puss Kristen Stewart came across on the show. She was off putting.
    That would be the Colombian marching powder barking. Her and Renee should talk.

vCash
    Kristen Stewart was definitely weird.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Totally agree; you need to see Winter's Bone. It's the grittiest role Jen has done and she does it well. You watch it, and you forget it's Jennifer Lawrence...her character is nothing like her; no quirky, funny side. Just a young girl with manner beyond her years.
    Yeah, I thought the entire film was well done. It was like a gritty slice of life, and it had a documentary feel. The actors were outstanding, especially Jennifer, and John Hawkes as Teardrop.

Jennifer was not even near to being JLaw when she made that film. She was a young unknown actress starring in an independent film that was well-made and happened to catch fire. Of course, the film and her performance ended up launching her high profile career. She received her first Best Actress nomination and lots of buzz.

In the full bio on her imdb profile JLaw is quoted (likely before Hunger Games):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2225369/
    I look at Kristen Stewart now and I think, "I'd never want to be that famous". I can't imagine how I'd feel if all of a sudden my life was pandemonium.
    So far, JLaw seems to be handling the pandemonium.

vCash
    She almost didn't take THG because she was afraid of the fame. And then her mother told her that she was a hypocrite, because she'd always said she would only take movies with good scripts and good roles, and here was one with both that she was afraid of simply because of how big it was. And then she accepted the role

Winter's Bone is amazing. It really, really affected me. And then when she got the role of Katniss I was almost crying I was so happy they found someone I knew would do a good job Among her lesser known movies, I really, really loved The Burning Plain (which also stars Charlize Theron and Kim Basinger) and she's phenomenal in it. The Poker House is kind of a mess, really hard to watch, and features a pretty horrific rape scene, but again, she's really good in it. She was good in X-Men as well but I was kind of busy during that movie going over Fassbender. She's barely in Like Crazy and was really, really wasted there IMO. Having unfortunately not seen SLP due to my time abroad, I will agree that of the movies I've seen - which is, I believe, all of them except The Beaver (I can't do Mel Gibson with a hand puppet for 2 hours, I mean really?), SLP and The House At The End Of The Street - Winter's Bone and The Burning Plain are her two best performances. I saw both of those on Netflix instant, so they should still be there.

vCash
    I think she handles the pandemonium by ignoring it...I honestly don't think she considers herself to be "one of those stars". Even recently she was talking about how she forgets that she can't just go out to the grocery store or eat lunch at a cafe anymore, but only remembers when the paparazzi show up.

It will be interesting to see how the mantle of "Oscar winner" sits on her shoulders. I'm somewhat afraid that her carefree attitude and lack of filter between her brain and her mouth/actions will lead to some pretty embarrassing moments (and not in the cute, how adorable way but the, oh my goodness did you just really way), but she seems to be a pretty smart girl with a good network of family and friends around her. For the love of all that is good and holy, Jennifer, keep your cool and don't change!

To her credit, despite her lack of a filter she hasn't really done anything to hurt her reputation...sure, she says a lot of things that I'm sure she probably wouldn't say on second thought, but apart from maybe flipping the bird with her Oscar (and one article I read seemed to think that it was a bit of an accident and she was embarrassed afterwards), I can't think of anything. She's never mean-spirited, which is key...people can forget most mishaps if it's clear that your intentions were nothing but good. Plus, she's cute and funny.

Sorry, this is why I should not be allowed to think out loud while I'm typing...I tend to go off on tangents that nobody cares about. Carry on!

On a side note, I can't wait for the Catching Fire trailer that includes the placard: "Starring Academy Award winner Jennifer Lawrence..." Take that, Twilight!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast