Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    vCash
    I wonder if Rachel Zoe still has a hand in styling Hathaway. If she had worn anyone of the dresses that Zoe picked out for her when she hosted the Oscars, she would've looked stunning.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, while I don't love all of them, any of them would have been better than the pink, pointy mess.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I wonder if Rachel Zoe still has a hand in styling Hathaway. If she had worn anyone of the dresses that Zoe picked out for her when she hosted the Oscars, she would've looked stunning.
    even the tux was cute
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Disagree completely. As noted before, Amanda's dress was custom made for her over a period of months. Why should she make a last minute change to something off the rack 24 hours before the event? It's Anne that had the problem with it, not Amanda, and Anne's choice to make the change. No one forced her.
    It doesn't matter if Amanda Seyfried started working on that gown when she was on Veronica Mars. She wasn't the Oscar nominee, Anne Hathaway was, so Anne shouldn't have felt as though she should give up on her dress of choice. Why she did is indeed a mystery. The Valentino gown was prettier than the McQueen one and as I wrote before, I think it's a better match for Anne's coloring than Amanda. Surely in months of work someone should have noticed that she looks washed out in that color?

Also, I don't think a designer gown, even if not bespoke, qualifies as off the rack.

This is cuter than either of the dresses Hathaway wore on Oscar night, though obviously it would not have been appropriate then.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Given more than 3 hours to make final adjustments, they might have been able to round/taper the darts to better fit Anne.
    I like Anne; and don't blame her for changing what she intended to wear.
    Interestingly, here's another Prada dress worn by Anne only a few weeks earlier - seems to have gone over well, so maybe maybe no on thought the Oscar dress would be a problem.

Also Zemgirl sorry I see what you mean now - I thought you were implying that Amanda should have given up her dress for Anne.

vCash
    It's really indicative of her insecurity that she changed.

I still like her, though.

Loved the blue dress Anne had on at after parties. I think there's a pic in the most recent People.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    It's really indicative of her insecurity that she changed.
    Yes!

It's interesting how different circumstances dictate whether or not it's horrible to have the "same" dress or not. My daughter was in a performance where she was ordered to buy a black dress with white accents. She did and we showed up for the performance and one of her friends had on basically the same dress. They were over-the-top happy about it. "Look at us, we're twins!" they said all night.

But at some point, it turns into this horrible crime and the women involved are supposed to be oh-so embarrassed even if the dress is just similar and not the same at all.

And, godforbid, a woman wear the same dress to one of these events more than once! Which means if you find a dress you absolutely love, you can't just wear it everywhere until you are sick of it like the rest of us do.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Celebrities walking the red carpet do have pressure to not wear the same outfit as each other. Ordinary people showing up at the same event wearing the same outfit aren't going to have their pictures appear in some rags or on the web the next day under the polling "Who wore it better? "

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Celebrities walking the red carpet do have pressure to not wear the same outfit as each other.
    I saw two guys who were wearing black tuxes. I was so embarrassed for them.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I saw two guys who were wearing black tuxes. I was so embarrassed for them.
    I heard that beforehand they got into a big fight about it and each one tried to get the other to change but neither would back down. Those bitches!

Also, those "who wore it better" bits usually involve actresses at different events. So just being sure your dress isn't like someone else's at that one event doesn't protect you from that.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I know it's hard to empathize with actresses who are making millions off of movies and have a level of fame and fortune that most of us can only imagine. However, I think that the level of scrutiny and publicity that comes with all that makes them worry about things that would otherwise seem petty or ridiculous. However, that's the nature of the industry that they are in, and for many of the younger ones, they have to be very careful about how they present themselves and how they look because as stupid as it seems to care about such things, the public's perception and reaction towards such stupid things are even more ridiculous. Let's face it, actresses have a harder time than actors because nobody makes that big of a deal when an actor gets older but actresses have a much harder time getting roles as they age (no matter how talented) due to the misogny of Hollywood and what roles are written for them.

Not everyone can get away with being a Jennifer Lawrence, who has an easier time because she's still very young and fresh. Let's wait another five or so years and see if people start turning on her the way they have with Hathaway.

vCash
    I'll bet it won't even take that long. There's nothing the media loves more than turning around and tearing down the person they've just worked hard to build up.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It's not about not being able to empathize. It's about seeing that they have the power and they are throwing it away. There are certainly actresses out there who just pick out a dress and don't stress about it, who keep their personal life separate from their working life, and manage to avoid buying into the hype and stress.

I think it would be a hoot if a bunch of these women would all deliberately wear the same dress to some event and laugh about it while everyone else's head exploded.

In this particular case, the dresses were not even identical. But one of the parties was so hyped up about the issue that she rejected a perfectly nice dress and wore a monstrosity that made it look like we could see her nipples all to avoid looking even the appearance of wearing the same dress. To me, that's crazy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

Loved the blue dress Anne had on at after parties. I think there's a pic in the most recent People.
    I thought it looked like a blue satin sack with sequins stuck to the neckline. It was sort of the polar opposite of the ugly pink dress, in that it also didn't fit her, but it didn't fit her in a whole different way.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It's not about not being able to empathize. It's about seeing that they have the power and they are throwing it away. There are certainly actresses out there who just pick out a dress and don't stress about it, who keep their personal life separate from their working life, and manage to avoid buying into the hype and stress.

I think it would be a hoot if a bunch of these women would all deliberately wear the same dress to some event and laugh about it while everyone else's head exploded.

In this particular case, the dresses were not even identical. But one of the parties was so hyped up about the issue that she rejected a perfectly nice dress and wore a monstrosity that made it look like we could see her nipples all to avoid looking even the appearance of wearing the same dress. To me, that's crazy!
    Obviously it is a big deal because people are giving her crap for making the "wrong" choice. It's easy to say she made a mistake in hindsight, but I'm sure she felt like she would've looked like a fool had she wore a similar looking dress. You say they have all this power and throwing it away. I don't see her throwing anything away. She just wore a dress that people are giving her crap for because they deemed it ugly compared to what she could have wore. No wonder she worried so much about it. Look at the reactions she's getting.

I personally don't see what the big deal is. She wanted to wear a special dress at the Oscars because for most actors, it is a huge deal to be nominated and be the favorite to win. Yes, it's pageantry and has nothing to do with the acting craft, but it's difficult not to get swept up in it considering the history of the Academy Awards and what a big deal it becomes (especially in the industry when you have Harvey Weinstein crafting up stories to ensure wins). I don't know where the line is drawn from being a serious actress to being a celebrity. Jessica Chastain is more successful in keeping her personal life separate from her professional life, even though people gave her a lot of flack for her Golden Globes dress. Luckily, she doesn't care. I guess due to her choices (in movies and I guess going out or something, I don't know) or popularity, Anne Hathaway is seen as a celebrity that paps pay attention to and people talk a lot about. Maybe she could do a better job in not caring so much, but hey, maybe she's the type that does. I don't know.

vCash
    I've never understood the Anne hate. She seems like a nice, if slightly awkward, person, and she's hella talented. Plus I feel like I've grown up with her. I was, like 13 or so when The Pricness Diaries came out and I read all the books after I saw it. And then her roles matured as I did It was nice seeing the Princess of Genovia win an Oscar

I was hoping she'd won some grudging respect/street cred after she kicked total ass as Catwoman after all the naysayers bitched for months about her casting. And I think she did, for a bit, but clearly not enough, even after a second good performance in the otherwise-boring Les Miserables.

And I adored her heartfelt speech and appreciation of Sally Field at the GGs.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Obviously it is a big deal because people are giving her crap for making the "wrong" choice.
    But if she didn't care, she wouldn't get as much crap. That's the way this stuff work.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Luckily, she doesn't care.
    And by not caring, it's not fun to pick on her so, if she makes a "mistake," she gets some flack, she shrugs, and it dies away.

There are actually plenty of actresses who don't seem to care that much about what gossip mags say about their clothes because they keep showing up in the most bizarre and sometimes even unflattering stuff and when someone interviews them and asks them why they picked it, they say something like "I love how I feel in this" and that's the end of it.

My advice to Anne is to emulate those actresses and not worry so much. She'll have more fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

There are actually plenty of actresses who don't seem to care that much about what gossip mags say about their clothes because they keep showing up in the most bizarre and sometimes even unflattering stuff and when someone interviews them and asks them why they picked it, they say something like "I love how I feel in this" and that's the end of it.
    Can you name a few? The only one I can think of that's relevant is Helena Bonham Carter, but no one would group her in the glamor girl-leading lady category. Plus she's married to Tim Burton, so it's expected that she'll show up at public events dressed like somebody's eccentric cooky Aunt. Actresses like Halle Berry, Reese, Penelope, Nicole, CZJ, Watts, etc. put very careful thought into what they'll wear at events like the Oscar. There's no way either will show up at an award show looking like another actress.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am finding so much of this absolutely hilarious. I read some little things here and there about people hating Hathaway but I figured it was just because of her "aww shucks, you like me!?!?!" attitude. I didn't realize this was all over a dress.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I like Hathaway, and I think she is very talented. But, I fail to see the aw shucks aura about her. She grew up very near here, Millburn, NJ. My son has a friend who went to high school with her (though a few years behind her). He said she was nice enough, but had money and was a bit impressed with herself. Of course, my son's friend is from Short Hills (SH & Millburn share a HS) and is also a bit impressed with himself .

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast