Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    But, she didn't deserve it and she is average at her at best.
    I think the same can be true of a few other winners, but are for some reason beloved by the masses (for now).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I thought Gwyneth was perfect for SIL also and deserved her Oscar. It's one of my favorites romantic movies/ chick flicks. She was also good in Talented Mr. Ripley.
    Personally, I thought Cate Blanchett deserved Gwyneth's Oscar that year ... by a lot (and I really did like Gwyneth's performance in SIL).

O-

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    So did anyone else notice that the Academy managed to omit several people from the In Memoriam segment?

The left out Andy Griffith, Larry Hagman, Lupe Ontiveros, Robin Sachs, Sherman Hemsley, and Ann Rutherford (who portrayed Carren O'Hara in GWTW), just to name a few.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    They do omit every year, no? And usually say there are so many deserving names blah blah but we only have so much time blah blah...Although I think they could have easily cut out that Chicago number and added in all the recently deceased.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Personally, I thought Cate Blanchett deserved Gwyneth's Oscar that year ... by a lot (and I really did like Gwyneth's performance in SIL).

O-
    I thought Fernanda Montenegro was better than the both of them. I also thought Elizabeth was a horrible movie and Queen Elizabeth has been played much better by other actresses. I thought what Paltrow did in SIL was way more enjoyable and more of a challenge then being dramatic in an over-the-top soapy mess, and I like Blanchett.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I thought Fernanda Montenegro was better than the both of them. I also thought Elizabeth was a horrible movie and Queen Elizabeth has been played much better by other actresses. I thought what Paltrow did in SIL was way more enjoyable and more of a challenge then being dramatic in an over-the-top soapy mess, and I like Blanchett.
    Agree to disagree.

O-

vCash

O-
    ITA. I thought Cate Blanchett was dynamite in Elizabeth.

vCash
    Andy Samberg's monologue at the Independent Spirit Awards was pretty good. Crude-funny without being cruel or misogynistic. MacFarlane went for the boobies jokes, Samberg goes for the dick jokes.

vCash

O-
    I agree. But, then, I can't stand Paltrow. So, I don't see anything she does as being much good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I agree. But, then, I can't stand Paltrow. So, I don't see anything she does as being much good.
    With Gwyneth though, talent isn't what is going to get her roles. And I don't think it's her charming personality either, although she seems to always have one A-lister besty to brag about. I think her connections will always give her enough clout that she can lobby hard for a role that really wants.

I think Hollywood is pretty forgiving for people they like. Angelina Jolie can go crazy after an Oscar win, steal another woman's husband, and have a few bombs along the way, and she's still gold as far as producers and directors are concerned. Contrast that with some would be it girls. Kate Bosworth basically has to call the paps on herself to get any attention since she pissed off a lot of people (being a huge b*tch on the set of some of her movies, trying to steal other people's husbands/boyfriends, including Gwyneths). And has anyone seen Megan Fox's career since being dropped from Transformers?

vCash
    Megan Fox seems to be on the verge of small comeback. She did some lame Judd Apatow film earlier. Now, I guess apologized to Michael Bay and he cast her in his upcoming Teenaged-Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot.

If you're hot and young enough, I think Hollywood forgives you as long as you still have potential to bring in the big bucks. That's all they really care about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I think Hollywood is pretty forgiving for people they like. Angelina Jolie can go crazy after an Oscar win, steal another woman's husband, and have a few bombs along the way, and she's still gold as far as producers and directors are concerned.
    The people that don't care about the "steal another woman's husband" business with Jolie are those that are smart enough to know that Brad Pitt wasn't kidnapped by her against his will. Every Hollywood A-lister has a few bombs in their resume; That's nothing new and not unexpected. Jolie is a respected actress and has demonstrated the ability to lead certain type of films to commercial and sometimes critical successes. It's no surprise that she's still in high demand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    If you're hot and young enough, I think Hollywood forgives you as long as you still have potential to bring in the big bucks. That's all they really care about.
    That would seem to be the thing, but probably, there are so many super hawt babes in Hollywood, unless you are also CRAZY THICK with charisma and talent, you really can’t risk pissing too many of the “right” people off. To paraphrase Bill Cosby, we’ll kick you out and make another one who looks just like you. Infamy might get you a TV movie of the week, but that is different than Oscar contending roles.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The people that don't care about the "steal another woman's husband" business with Jolie are those that are smart enough to know that Brad Pitt wasn't kidnapped by her against his will. Every Hollywood A-lister has a few bombs in their resume; That's nothing new and not unexpected. Jolie is a respected actress and has demonstrated the ability to lead certain type of films to commercial and sometimes critical successes. It's no surprise that she's still in high demand.
    This sure helps them now that both their careers is tanking right ? Pitt and Jolie are a laughing stock for all Hollyweird
    She's done, her directing flick is a mess, she has an upcoming trial for stealing that script, and the Coen's deal isn't gonna help her one bit. He has looked bad for two years, looked bored too.
    Jolie is unwelcome in France, she's blacklisted in all places that would be "cool" for her, Chanel for example. She was supposed to land the Chanel commercial but Brad was chosen for it instead.
    I don't care about her, but I'd rather have a good actress than her. She bombs all the movies she's in because she's not a good actress. WeeWee Pitt ... what shall I say ? It was cool when he was 30, but at 50, he looks ... sad
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Jolie is unwelcome in France, she's blacklisted in all places that would be "cool" for her, Chanel for example. She was supposed to land the Chanel commercial but Brad was chosen for it instead.
    Why is she blacklisted in France? Do tell!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    This sure helps them now that both their careers is tanking right ? Pitt and Jolie are a laughing stock for all Hollyweird
    She's done, her directing flick is a mess, she has an upcoming trial for stealing that script, and the Coen's deal isn't gonna help her one bit. He has looked bad for two years, looked bored too.
    I don't care about her, but I'd rather have a good actress than her. She bombs all the movies she's in because she's not a good actress. WeeWee Pitt ... what shall I say ? It was cool when he was 30, but at 50, he looks ... sad
    Really, Pitt was just nominated for an Oscar for Moneyball and has the epic 'World War Z' coming out in June which he also produced. Not sure where you are getting your info from.
    Last edited by julieann; 02-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    if brangelina are blacklisted, give me some of that
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    So did anyone else notice that the Academy managed to omit several people from the In Memoriam segment?

The left out Andy Griffith, Larry Hagman, Lupe Ontiveros, Robin Sachs, Sherman Hemsley, and Ann Rutherford (who portrayed Carren O'Hara in GWTW), just to name a few.
    People like Andy Griffith although they have done some film are mostly known for television and are understandably left off the list and shown on the Emmys. You can't have everybody and some mistakes with omissions are bound to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Why is she blacklisted in France? Do tell!
    Don't know. Guess it has to do with Vanessa Paradis !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    I'm a straight woman. I think Megan Fox is super hot. I would cast her ... despite her Bay tirade ... maybe even because of it. I mean, Michael Bay? Really?! He's such an a$$. I applaud Megan Fox for going up against such a powerful weenie.

O-

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast