Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Maybe Margaret Cho is free next year?
    She might work....

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The most offensive thing about the opening was how long and dull it was. Get on with the show innit.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Kathy Griffin or I riot. I want to make sure we have someone who will offend EVERYONE!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What about Jennifer Lawrence next year? I think she would be fun.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea. People and the media will praise her hosting no matter what the actual quality was (i.e. her performance in Silver Linings Playbook).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea. People and the media will praise her hosting no matter what the actual quality was (i.e. her performance in Silver Linings Playbook).
    OH SNAP!!!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Only if she learns not to wear a wedding dress.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    ... I thought Jennifer was beyond stunning. It was such a pretty shade and ironically I didn't realize that it had pink in it until she took that tumble and gave us a great view of the back of her dress!

Wouldn't have been able to tell which Jennifer you were speaking of, if you hadn't mentioned "that tumble." There's Jennifer Garner Affleck (who I first thought you mean -- she was lovely in a beautiful shade of plum with back ruffles); Jennifer Lopez (don't know if she attended); Jennifer Aniston (gorgeous in a red dress) and now, Jennifer Lawrence, re big time Jens.

This New Yorker article is fireworks of self-righteousness and prudery.

mlp, Ben said something about Jennifer not being Iran and thanked her for 10 Christmases of working on their marriage.

And your grandmother rocks.
    Re your above post #16, I already linked that article in my post #7. I think the writer makes good points, but sure Seth MF seems like a cheeky, easy-going lad in general who didn't mean any harm toward any of the women. And, yes, women in Hollywood as well as women in general are so used to being the butt of misogynist jokes like forever and historically, so yeah prudish, self-righteous female New Yorker reviewer.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-26-2013 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    Double post

vCash
    I thought the Boobie song was funny and took no offence at all. The actresses were part of it, and I thought that referencing Kate Winslet and all the movies she's gone topless in, was a good touch. She always seems to be taking it off and has said it does not bother her at all. I did not for a moment try to dig deeper and think about what roles they were playing in those movies. I just thought, yup, they all showed their boobies!!

I LOVED the Sound of Music reference. I just cracked up at that part and was surprpised that it didn't seem to get a funnier reaction.

I did think the opening was too long, but enjoyed the other known actors dancing and taking part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    "Ewan McGregor, we saw your bits and pieces. Jason Segel we saw your Woody, too. Mark Wahlberg we saw your schlong in Boogie Nights. It was prosthetic, but it will do..."

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think you should send your CV to the Academy. This is way funnier than anything MacFarlane & co. came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think some need to recognize that some people do understand Seth's sense of humor, and still don't find it funny or clever.

vCash
    Oh heck, just give it to Ryan Seacrest and and we can all move on to watch something else.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    seth said his cat thought he did a good job. he just might be my soulmate.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Seth MF might well have said to all the actresses: "Aside from Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren, and a couple of other Dames, all you ladies out there need to get Oscar while you're young, gorgeous and hot ... showing your boobies doesn't hurt either."

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    seth said his cat thought he did a good job. he just might be my soulmate.
    ^^ Ah, but did you see (or maybe you did see) the hoarder skit Seth MF did with Jimmy Kimmel on Jimmy Kimmel Live after the late news? Both MK (albeit a poster of her) and Taylor Lautner were in it.

Too bad that skit wasn't on the Oscars instead of the feeble bit with Captain Kirk. The hoarder skit was good for a couple of slightly better than lame laughs, and an ugh at the end. If nothing else, MK fans could've gotten all excited about an MK association with the Oscars, forget Michelle Obama. Although, I would tend to agree with Jack Nicholson's surprising aside after the First Lady was introduced and finished speaking: "Nobody's gonna mess with that."

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The most offensive thing about the opening was how long and dull it was. Get on with the show innit.
    ITA. I think they should have cued up the Jaws music way before Captain Kirk's smirky shtick came into the picture.

As far as audience reactions, the camera showed a background view of the audience while Seth was mouthing off with Kirk. Few audience members in that background shot appeared all that amused, particularly not Helen Hunt. If anything, the few smiles appeared to be polite.

Speaking of Helen Hunt:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/b...-the-sessions#
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-27-2013 at 12:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think you should send your CV to the Academy. This is way funnier than anything MacFarlane & co. came up with.
    Yeah, you snooze and lose. Someone already put their version up on youtube.

I had forgotten about Billy Crudup.

Back to hosting suggestions, I think they offered the spot to Jimmy Fallon first. Not everyone's cup of tea, but he does walk the line between "hip" and accessible. Plus, he's really into musical numbers. Or they could keep it in house and go with Jimmy Kimmel, but I could see him offending a lot of people too.

She hosted SNL and wasn't all that great. She wasn't horrible, but she seemed really nervous and didn't really sell her material. She may be very good at quips, but that doesn't always translate to being a good host.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I thought the Boobie song was funny and took no offence at all. The actresses were part of it, and I thought that referencing Kate Winslet and all the movies she's gone topless in, was a good touch. She always seems to be taking it off and has said it does not bother her at all. I did not for a moment try to dig deeper and think about what roles they were playing in those movies. I just thought, yup, they all showed their boobies!!

I LOVED the Sound of Music reference. I just cracked up at that part and was surprpised that it didn't seem to get a funnier reaction.
    Kate Winslet would have been p*ssing herself at that song.

Agree about the Sound of Music bit. That was funny.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Jennifer Lawrence's hilarity comes mostly from being utterly irreverent and off-the-cuff (and awkward ) when most actresses are expected to be polished. She's very naturally funny. I don't think she'd do scripted very well, though.

Neil Patrick Harris or Tina/Amy is good, though. I loved Hugh Jackman when he hosted the Oscars, personally. I would be interested to see Hugh partner it with Anne Hathaway, actually, because there was no way she could win with Franco as her partner and I think she was unfairly maligned for a situation that was totally out of her control. Franco couldn't have been less in interested in the proceedings, but she gave it her all.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh well. I've never seen Jennifer Lawrence in anything, not the Playbook, not The Hunger Games and not the SNL skit. My only exposure were the post-Oscar presser and the Jack Nicholson incident. She was super cute and unaffected. And yes, irreverent, love that.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    My vote for host is Eddie Izzard -- everyone in the audience would have to wear Depends as they'd be pissing themselves laughing so much during the entire thing .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    My vote for host is Eddie Izzard -- everyone in the audience would have to wear Depends as they'd be pissing themselves laughing so much during the entire thing .
    Yes Eddie

Or Stephen Fry.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast