Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    The actresses were absolutely in on the slut shaming joke. Naomi and Charlize looked ashamed and upset while Jennifer gets to be proud she hasn't shown her stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    The World was waiting to get offended when the Academy announced Seth as the host.
    That's because Seth is known to be offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    It's like Seth knew people are ready to throw stones at him so here is the over the top offensive number you've all been waiting for. The stars were clearly in on the boobies number and I can't believe there are actually people using the reaction shots to claim failure on Seth's part. I like Seth's self-aware humour but I do agree that some of the jokes weren't effective because of his delivery.
    Seth was indeed self aware when he offered that "what did you think you were getting?" bit after a joke was booed.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    As the New Yorker piece rightly points out, the women named in the song were showing their "boobies" as part of playing a character, not just for kicks.
    In fact, four characters that are sexually assaulted and/or raped in said boob-showing scenes, according to this.

I understand laughing at something like the boob song. Seth's shock humour seems designed to make you laugh at the absurdity of it. But that doesn't mean what he says is actually funny or acceptable.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Someone else I read on line (wish I could find the link again) mentioned that some real social commentary would have been to start to sing a "We Saw Your Willies" song about male actors. And then stop and say that they can't name any male actors whose willies we saw, because if male actors show their equipment because the film gets slapped with an 18+ rating and distributors refuse to work with the film.
    "Ewan McGregor, we saw your bits and pieces. Jason Segel we saw your Woody, too. Mark Wahlberg we saw your schlong in Boogie Nights. It was prosthetic, but it will do..."

Anyway, the "Boobies" song was meant to be over-the-top offensive. Unfortunately for Seth, people didn't seem to get that it was a parody.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Jason Segal just luuurves to get naked in from of the cameras! Pretty much every movie. In the wrong line of business, perhaps?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think some need to recognize that some people do understand Seth's sense of humor, and still don't find it funny or clever.

vCash
    Well, those of you who really hated it will be happy to know that he's not doing the show again (at least as of now). Apparently, he always said this was a one-shot deal, but I'm sure that a few of his most vocal detractors will take credit. For Seth's part, he's retweeted a few things about the press' hypocrisy, including pointing out that the Huffington Post posted an article about his sexism with a sidebar link to "The Week In Sideboob."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    "Ewan McGregor, we saw your bits and pieces. Jason Segel we saw your Woody, too. Mark Wahlberg we saw your schlong in Boogie Nights. It was prosthetic, but it will do..."
    I think you should send your CV to the Academy. This is way funnier than anything MacFarlane & co. came up with.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    As someone who didn't know who Seth MacFarlane was (I recognize the name of his show but I've never seen it), I thought he did a good job. On a purely superficial note, he's easy on the eyes and I appreciate a man who can sing. And it was fun to see different Hollywood stars up on stage dancing and singing with him. Charlize and Channing were particularly a lovely surprise.

I thought the intro was WAY too long (would have been funnier if they had cut about half out and made it a bit more streamlined) and the jokes weren't bad but I liked it better when it was a bit less rehearsed. His "introduction" of Meryl Streep had me cracking up, and it may have been cliche and dumb, but I about died during the Sound of Music bit. SO freakin' funny, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I thought it was obvious that the actresses were in on it. The whole thing was staged to get the "anticipated result" that Shatner predicted. None of it was really offensive, just silly.
    I agree with this. And even if Seth was going for the “heh, here is the OTT boobie joke because you are all expecting me to do it”, it is still the obvious joke to make. He did have funny moments and I didn’t find him offensive, but I don’t think he is some super clever comedian. I enjoyed his singing more than his jokes.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    As someone who didn't know who Seth MacFarlane was (I recognize the name of his show but I've never seen it), I thought he did a good job. On a purely superficial note, he's easy on the eyes and I appreciate a man who can sing.
    Not my type, but he's definitely had an interesting dating history. He's now rumored to be with Emilia Clarke, who plays Daenerys on Game of Thrones.

http://www.laineygossip.com/Emilia-C...e-dating/24726

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    As someone who didn't know who Seth MacFarlane was (I recognize the name of his show but I've never seen it), I thought he did a good job. On a purely superficial note, he's easy on the eyes and I appreciate a man who can sing. And it was fun to see different Hollywood stars up on stage dancing and singing with him. Charlize and Channing were particularly a lovely surprise.

I thought the intro was WAY too long (would have been funnier if they had cut about half out and made it a bit more streamlined) and the jokes weren't bad but I liked it better when it was a bit less rehearsed. His "introduction" of Meryl Streep had me cracking up, and it may have been cliche and dumb, but I about died during the Sound of Music bit. SO freakin' funny, lol.
    I agree with most of this. I did not know who he was either until he hosted the Oscars this year. I liked him better than many of the past hosts. I too found the intro way too long, but there were some nice things in this year's programs. The "Sound of music' bit was great.

vCash
    Deleted Double Post (computer freaking out today)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think some need to recognize that some people do understand Seth's sense of humor, and still don't find it funny or clever.
    Yeah, and that would be about the same for every comedian out there. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla. Because the viewership for the Oscars is so wide (and especially so this year), I hardly think any host could have pleased everyone. I haven't thought any of the Oscar hosts have been particularly funny or fabulous over the years, but it's an "industry-patting-on-the-back" show after all, not a comedy revue.

I've always really enjoyed the Tony's over the years, however. They've had some great and very talented hosts, including Neil Patrick Harris.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Amen!
    His style is juvenile and self-indulgent; inappropriate for an event that is supposed to show the best of the movie industry to the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Is no one watching Joan Rivers Parade of Dirty One-Liners and the Useless Brigade? Maybe Osborne can be taught--she and Kiebler were the dress standouts of the night. It's very sad when people who are currently on E! and the person who would be lucky to be on E! someday.
    Joan was exhausting to me - maybe 90 minutes of her snark is too much to take. I thought they were so unfair to Helen Hunt - they really ripped into her. And I don't even like her that much. Her dress was not that bad.

And everything Kelly wears is totally ruined because of that radioactive hair color she has. Oh, kill it with fire!!

I found Seth to be a mixed bag; I think I prefer him better hiding behind his cartoons. I didn't find him as inappropriate as I did unfunny.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    In fact, four characters that are sexually assaulted and/or raped in said boob-showing scenes, according to this.
    Anyway, the "Boobies" song was meant to be over-the-top offensive. Unfortunately for Seth, people didn't seem to get that it was a parody.
    A montage of rape scenes in movie would be humourous if it was done as a parody?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    A montage of rape scenes in movie would be humourous if it was done as a parody?

I probably shouldn't bite at this, but I will anyway. Personally, I don't find rape jokes funny. This was not a rape joke. This was a joke about film nudity and the immature male response to it. Should he have chosen different films for those particular actresses? Probably. Would people have found it offensive anyway? Probably.

Anyway, to move away the hosting stuff, here's some after-party photos from IMDB. an eclectic mix of celebs to sat the least.

vCash
    I probably shouldn't bite at this, but I will anyway. Personally, I don't find rape jokes funny. This was not a rape joke. This was a joke about film nudity and the immature male response to it. Should he have chosen different films for those particular actresses? Probably. Would people have found it offensive anyway? Probably.
    People will find it offensive because it WAS offensive.

And the fact that he disregarded what goes on in the scenes where you see said actresses boobs is rather alarming, actually. A woman is being raped and all that matters is a tit-shot? And that's funny?
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    The most annoying thing about Oscars hosts is how they all (and not just Seth) do this "Hey look it's [insert actor's name]" and everyone starts applauding, including the host. It is usually a lead in to a joke but is so contrived.

I actually liked the Boobie song, particularly the actresses in the audience being horrified. And William Shatner is just cool.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Billy Crystal, dust off your tux, baby. They'll need you next year.

vCash
    Maybe Margaret Cho is free next year?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast