Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Is no one watching Joan Rivers Parade of Dirty One-Liners and the Useless Brigade? Maybe Osborne can be taught--she and Kiebler were the dress standouts of the night. It's very sad when people who are currently on E! and the person who would be lucky to be on E! someday.

Though I did genuinely laugh out loud when she said Halle Berry looked like an art deco vibrator, cause she totally did. Other than that, the after-Oscars show is kind of flat because the dresses were flat. They're really going for the lowest common denominator with the lines, but the starlets didn't give them much material to work with.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am! I had it recorded. I was anticipating it to be a bit boring because there weren't too many out and out trainwrecks and a lot of dresses were just dishwater blah.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm surprised Alexandre Desplat has yet to win an Oscar. It seems like he's always nominated and is always scoring a Best Picture nominee. That said, I absolutely love Mychael Danna and his soundtracks for Exotica and Kama Sutra Tale of Love are among my 2 all-time faves.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have his River Waltz on my SD card. I think we will see an Oscar for him in the future.

Watching Fashion Police--agreed with all of Nina Garcia's fashion opinions.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the movies that are nominated and not so much who the host is. It looks like Titanic brought in a lot of viewers by the looks of it. 1994 was a HUGE movie year.

I thought Seth did a great job. I didn't enjoy all the musical numbers (like it was the Grammys or something) but I did like the cast of LesMis and most of the presenters were really bad.

I think most of the winners were very predictable.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I didn't get to see any of the Oscars (or ready any of the Oscars thread ) but I really like Jennifer Lawrence's dress.

I'm not too wild about the dress but Catherine Zeta-Jones looks great in it.

Octavia Spencer is gorgeous.

Quvenzhane Wallis is adorable.

Jessica Chastain looks like she had VPLs.

I think most of the women I've seen look really nice, actually. I'm a little surprised. Meryl Streep looked like she was wearing a tin-foil hat over her entire body, though. And Amy Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I'm surprised Alexandre Desplat has yet to win an Oscar. It seems like he's always nominated and is always scoring a Best Picture nominee. That said, I absolutely love Mychael Danna and his soundtracks for Exotica and Kama Sutra Tale of Love are among my 2 all-time faves.
    I don't know who Alexandre Desplat is but I really wish there was a figure skater with that name.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I would like Jennifer Lawrence's dress more if the blush color were more pronounced--it just looked white and bridal on my screen. Also, if the skirt were not so monstrous that she couldn't walk in it. But overall, she looked very pretty.

Alexandre Desplat is one of the hottest composers in Hollywood. He is French, non? He did the last Harry Potter and this really good movie with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton based on a Somerset Maugham novel, The Painted Veil. Here's a a waltz from that movie.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I absolutely loved Octavia Spencer's dress. It's rare to find a plus size dress that is flattering in the upper arm/sleeve area (I know this all too well), and so I thought this was perfect and very, very beautiful. She looked amazing. I also have love for Amy Adams' dress.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    The World was waiting to get offended when the Academy announced Seth as the host. I actually thought the whole thing with Captain Kirk was meta and clever. It's like Seth knew people are ready to throw stones at him so here is the over the top offensive number you've all been waiting for. The stars were clearly in on the boobies number and I can't believe there are actually people using the reaction shots to claim failure on Seth's part. I like Seth's self-aware humour but I do agree that some of the jokes weren't effective because of his delivery.

Also for Tina Fey / Amy Poehler, not to take away their credits because that GG opening was epic and hilarious, they really didn't 'host' much except for a couple of brief interludes and said farewell. Almost all of the presenters at the Globes were introduced by the announcer and the Oscars is a whole other beast.

So.. #teamseth

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I was just perusing the TWoP Best/Worst Fashions photo gallery since I missed Joan River's show, and finally got a look at Melissa McCarthy's um, dress (and I use that erm loosely).

Whoever told her that emulating Ursula from Little Mermaid (from the dress to that rat's nest of a hair-don't) was a good idea should be put before a firing squad . Absolutely dreadful....

vCash
    Disappointed Riva didn't win best actress and Life of Pi did not win best picture. Life of pi is one of those rare movies to have done well in china and box office collection were higher there than in US...

vCash
    I'm not sure if Seth MacFarlane is the frat boy or if too many of the writers were frat boys, but the writing was really really bad, and the boobies song was just stupid. As the New Yorker piece rightly points out, the women named in the song were showing their "boobies" as part of playing a character, not just for kicks.

Someone else I read on line (wish I could find the link again) mentioned that some real social commentary would have been to start to sing a "We Saw Your Willies" song about male actors. And then stop and say that they can't name any male actors whose willies we saw, because if male actors show their equipment because the film gets slapped with an 18+ rating and distributors refuse to work with the film.

Instead we got frat boy MacFarlane going, tee hee, I said boobies
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I have a different view on the boobies song. IMO it wasn't a Seth is a cool fratboy so he sings about tee hee boobies, it was more of a Seth knew people are waiting for him to be offensive so here is an ottp song about boobies. He even rolled out "Gay Choir of Los Angeles" to sing about boobies just for sheer irrelevance and stupidity.

It's suppose to be a song that would make him the "worst host ever" according to Captain Kirk from the future. Seth knew his style will garner that label instantly and it was really just a self aware satire than a commentary on actresses getting naked in movies. I'm just glad that some of the actresses he pointed out were obviously in good spirit with the song to join in on the charade.
    Last edited by walei; 02-26-2013 at 08:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    The stars were clearly in on the boobies number and I can't believe there are actually people using the reaction shots to claim failure on Seth's part.
    If they were actually all in on the joke, some of those actresses were Oscar-caliber concealed. In particular Naomi Watts and Charlize Theron looked pissed.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Which is a testament to their acting skills. Naomi Watts is overdue for an Oscar. If you look closely, you will see that their dresses and in Naomi's case, hair, is different, so yes, pre-recorded.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Naomi Watts is very under-appreciated. She wasn't even nominated for Mulholland Dr., if I remember correctly.

vCash
    ^^^Still one the greatest performances I can ever recall seeing.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    The stars were clearly in on the boobies number and I can't believe there are actually people using the reaction shots to claim failure on Seth's part.
    )
    Believe it or not, there are.

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    If they were actually all in on the joke, some of those actresses were Oscar-caliber concealed. In particular Naomi Watts and Charlize Theron looked pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Believe it or not, there are.
    Again, find a youtube clip or something and you can see Charlize Theron and Naomi Watts were in different dresses looking pissed. Their reaction shots was staged and pre-recorded. Not only that, Charlize Theron was on stage dancing a minute later, no way she could run up stage that fast.

vCash
    I thought it was obvious that the actresses were in on it. The whole thing was staged to get the "anticipated result" that Shatner predicted. None of it was really offensive, just silly.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast