Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt switch to Igor Shpilband

Here's today's press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49023&type=media

I just noticed a thread was posted in the Trash Can - IMO, this is news that belongs in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    USFigureSkating announces Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt have changed coaches & will train with Igor Shpilband in Novi, Mich.

I love this dance pair and have always felt badly that they can't seem to get out of fifth place. Maybe this will prove to be the move that helps them do that. However, I wish that the Shibutanis had beaten them to the punch. I feel that they are languishing under Zoueva and desperately need more attention and a change.

Anyone else have any thoughts to share?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I wonder if this means they plan on competing past 2014?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    This will be interesting. I love Lynn and Logan and it was frustrating to see them pigeonholed in 4th-5th place for the past 3-4 years. Maybe this coaching change will be what they need to take the next step.

Given their ages, I assumed next year would be their last one competing, but maybe they'll be energized enough to stick with it for another year or two beyond Sochi.

Quadless
    vCash
    Can't say I'm particularly excited by this news.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I like them as they are. But, I think this is an all-in attempt to move up the rankings, to include playing politik

vCash
    Wow. I like them a lot and find them really enjoyable to watch, with interesting choreography to boot. I think this might add a blah element to their choreography, but politically, yeah, it's a step up (I don't know the story behind Yuri/Yaro--anyone else know why they don't have the same pull?).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Quadless
    vCash
    But how much politiking are they going to get as Shpilband's #2 US team? I guess we'll see.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Well, I don't think "politiking" is the only ingredient needed for better results. While some or even many longtime fans enjoy Lynn and Logan's programs, they are not generally as well-received, IMO, in the judging community as might be wished. I think going to Igor gives them an opportunity to explore their style and music choices. A bit late in the day for it but as noted above, maybe they are thinking past Sochi.

vCash
    Why are you all mentioning politicking when their main problem is that their technical elements simply aren't strong enough? And there is no better coach in the world as far as improving that is concerned.

And it's something that their old coaches keep failing at.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-26-2013 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    There was talk at Nationals that YnY were looking around for a new rink. Maybe LnL don't want to move.

vCash
    I used to skate in Ann Arbor, until last summer. Honestly, after Marina and Igor split and Igor was looking to build his coaching base again, I was very surprised Lynn and Logan didn't go with him then. Not only did they seem to be stagnating in Ann Arbor, Yasa and Yuri have a quite a few teams on the ice at a time, and all levels of skaters are allowed on the ice with their teams. It makes for an interesting situation.

vCash
    Good for them! I think this is just what they need. It's too bad they waited so long. I think Yasa and Yuri certainly improved them, but they need Sphilband to take them to that next level. Nationals next year will be very interesting.

I only wish Sin/Z would do the same - they will never get anywhere with that coach - and it would be a real shame if all that talent went to waste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why are you all mentioning politicking when their main problem is that their technical elements simply aren't strong enough? And there is no better coach in the world as far as improving that is concerned.

This, 100%.

I Shpilband's programs as much as anyone, but he knows how to teach teams to do the lifts, twizzles, and footwork sequences. Those are the things holding K&G-S back.

C&L and R&T's FD's are blah, but they do all the elements far better now. This is a good move. It's not like their programs were amazingly original anyway.

vCash
    I think this is a good move. Igor can help them up their technical elements. They already have good chemistry and flow. They are a striking couple. I hope this gives them a boost on the GP circuit next fall. Having Igor at the boards should help!

I loved their performances at Nationals. We are so blessed with talent in US Ice Dance!!!

vCash
    I like them as well! I believe that Igor should find a new Marina. He is a technical master! His teams from an element standpoint have exactly what they need. Choreography that he does to me seems just ok. It's not his strength! As for this team, I almost feel like its too little too late. Their elements will take a while to drastically improve most likely. Who knows though, with hard work and determination oh and Igor, anything is possible. Igor definitely has imported some power house assistance; M. Klimova, B. Fusar-Poli. Maybe he has a long term plan. I wouldnt mind seeing more work by Shae- Lynn in ice dance. David Wilson did fantastic work with Marie- France and Patrice. Who knows?

I am glad that they didnt go to the DSC though as i generally believe that Pasquale's team ignores details sometimes. I am a fan of the French team but unless they really fix the details in their programs, all that creativity is going to go to waste. Lynn and Logan made a smart move

vCash
    PS: If you were Yasa and Yuri, wouldnt you leave Ann Arbor since the powerhouse training bases are only 20-60 mins away?

vCash

^^^^ ITA

What Lynn & Logan have most needed is more speed and better technical accuracy. And if they want to go outside for choreography, or be involved in their own choreo, I would not expect that to be a particular problem with Igor-after all, when he was with Marina, he essentially outsourced most of the choreo to her

L&L have a strong idea of their own style, and are old enough to stand up for themselves. Plus Lynn has graduated from college now, and I expect they have a bit more time to work on their tech, too.

I'm hoping they rock it next year, and that somehow they get a GP. I'm guessing they will open their season at Nebelhonr?

vCash
    Good move! I've been wishing that the Shibutanis would make the same move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Maybe the Shibs are waiting until Igor has a good choreographer on his team. Isn't their main problem that they don't have good choreography?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    They get good levels and usually get decent GOEs for their lift and spin elements, but they definitely lack speed which I think has always hurt them in the FW sequences. Their lifts are actually pretty innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    The Shibs do need a change. Zoueva is doing nothing for them. But I can't see them moving to Igor, or (sadly) Krylova/Carmerlengo.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast