vCash

The Skating Lesson's interview with Tiffany Chin

"Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I enjoyed thus, Tiffany is wonderfully professional and articulate. Her answers were terrific; thoughtful, and some very interesting insights.

vCash
    I liked her very definite way of answering the questions. She doesn't blather on and on and isn't afraid to say she doesn't understand the question. She seems very intelligent, mature, humorous, and compassionate, also happy. Good to see a former star skater transitioning so well into normal life.

That said, she was also a tad cagy on the question Dave and Jenny most wanted her to talk about, her tiger mom. Good for her. They will have to learn to do better at getting people to talk about the things they don't want to talk about! I was very impressed by her portrait of her mother as a strong role model for Asian immigrant women.

vCash
    She looks gorgeous too.

vCash
    Tiffany
    Dave
    Jenny

vCash
    Here was TSL's description written for Part 1 of the interview that I forgot to include in post #1:
    Few skaters have had careers filled with more rumors, speculation and third-hand accounts than Tiffany Chin. As the first Asian-American to win the United States Figure Skating Championships, Tiffany Chin broke ground while leading a cross-cultural revolution in the sport. In part one of our interview with Tiffany Chin, we discuss her beginnings in the sport, the legends she trained with, her relationship with her mother and the impact her Chinese-American upbringing had on her career.
    After becoming the United States National Champion, Tiffany Chin was sidelined with a mysterious muscle imbalance for most of the 1985-1986 season. In part two of our interview with Tiffany, she discusses her muscle imbalance, the decision to end her amateur career just short of the 1988 Olympic Games, her coaching philosophy, and the infamous fluff piece that shifted the public's perception of her career.
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdPAg5lSsDA
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    As the first Asian-American to win the United States Figure Skating Championships

What is Tai Babilonia? Chopped liver? Or doesn't pair skating count for anything?

(I know Tai Babilonia's mother wasn't Asian-American, but her father certainly was.)

[/RANT]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Or doesn't pair skating count for anything?
    I think this has been answered very clearly by the US skating community...

vCash
    What is Tai Babilonia? Chopped liver? Or doesn't pair skating count for anything?
    (I know Tai Babilonia's mother wasn't Asian-American, but her father certainly was.)
    Maybe they are thinking of 'full-fledged Asian' as in both parents are Asians?

Interesting to hear Tiffany's perspective on skating and her career. Reflective and philosophical in her answers. And agree she looks great for 45yo!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Great interview and it seems to ms she knew 1987 was it. Like 87 nationals was the end. So she wasn't like i got to make it to 1988 and try for Calgary that trying in 87 was a good way to end.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 05-19-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    After all of her struggles in 1985, I thought it was amazing Chin not only made the 1986 World Team but won a medal in Geneva too.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

[/RANT]
    Well Dave and Jenny certainly don't think of Tai being chopped liver. Wasn't Tai their very first interview? Clearly they have a lot of respect for her. It was either an oversight or they were thinking full Asian or maybe just focusing on singles?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    IN retrospect, coming back in '86 and 1) making the team and 2) winning a world medal were huge accomplishments.

She seems very philosophical and at peace with her life's journey. Even as a skater, she seemed focused on what she was doing. There were no 'stories' or gossip about the group of gals she skated alongside (which I shamefully admit I wanted to see )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Maybe they are thinking of 'full-fledged Asian' as in both parents are Asians?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Well Dave and Jenny certainly don't think of Tai being chopped liver. Wasn't Tai their very first interview? Clearly they have a lot of respect for her. It was either an oversight or they were thinking full Asian or maybe just focusing on singles?
    I don't think Dave and Jenny were thinking much of anything. Ratiocination does not appear to be one of their strengths.

vCash
    So you enjoyed the podcast, Vagabond?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    So you enjoyed the podcast, Vagabond?

When TIffany Chin was speaking, yes.

I realize that Dave Lease and Jennifer Kirk are trying to build careers in journalism, but they have a long way to go. At this point, if they are going to do a video interview, they should edit it down. I think the interview would have been much easier to take (not to mention faster to process) if it had been transcribed.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I know it has been mentioned often, but everyone should look at the videos of Tiffany performing 3axel at 14 years old. It is on You Tube.

Despite this, she only mastered one triple, the toe loop, in competition. The 3salcow was very shaky in competition, as was her 3flip.

Had she completed her 3 salcow in 1986, it was quite possible she would have won the competition. Amazing!