vCash

Canadians Megan Wing, Aaron Lowe the coaching wizards of ice dance

By Pj Kwong: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...ice-dance.html
    The travel is still ongoing as they have two teams on their way to the junior world championships in Milan, Italy next week.

Canada's junior ice dance champions, Madeline Edwards and Zhaokai Pang, have the distinction of having been champions in every other national dance category up to this point (2009 juvenile, 2010 pre-novice, 2011 novice and silver in junior dance in 2012 before winning the category this year).

They have a promising future as indicated by two bronze medals at their junior Grand Prix events this season. As one of two teams competing for Canada, Edwards and Pang are looking to make their presence felt.
    Sarah Aghai and Jussiville Partanen (FIN) are their second team competing at Junior Worlds this week.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Thanks for the article, Sylvia. I met Megan (very briefly) at 2001 Worlds and she was very sweet. I get the feeling that these two create a very positive environment for their students. It will be very interesting to see how their teams due in the future.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thanks for the article, Sylvia. I met Megan (very briefly) at 2001 Worlds and she was very sweet. I get the feeling that these two create a very positive environment for their students. It will be very interesting to see how their teams due in the future.
    They are both really nice and down to earth. When they trained in detroit you would see them at all the weekend events in windsor. They were always gracious and friendly.

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash
    I'm loving how their students are thriving so soon after the end of their amateur career. (I thought it would take longer.) Looking at a snippet of their amateur training days from their website http://www.winglowe.ca/index.html
    From 1992-1999 we lived and trained in Montreal under the instruction of Elise Hamel. During that time we won a national bronze medal in the Junior category, 3 National bronze medals in Senior and began competing internationally for Canada.

From 1999–2006 we lived in Windsor, ON and trained in Detroit under the instruction of Igor Shpilband, Marina Zoueva and Liz Coates. In those 7 years, we competed at 5 World Championships, 14 Grand Prix International Competitions, won two bronze medals at the Four Continents Championships and 7 more National medals and competed at the 2006 Olympic Games.
    I wonder how they're adding to these coaching legacies? Is there anything that's characteristic of their students? I'd be curious to hear of people's expert opinion on this.

vCash
    I just came across Wing/Lowe's newly redesigned coaching website (appears to have launched earlier this year): Vancouver Ice Dance Academy

Two new dance teams have formed from 3 split teams:
    2014 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships - Novice Dance
    5 Ashlynne Stairs / Bradley Keeping-Myra NS 9.18 15.01 51.91 76.10
    6 Jazlyn Tabachniuk / Nikolas Wamsteeker BC/YK 8.46 12.34 52.73 73.53
    12 Natascha Collier / Lee Royer AB/NT/NU 4.81 8.21 36.96 49.98
    HALEY SALES & NIK WAMSTEEKER
    Junior Dance
    DOB: 26 DEC 96/28 OCT 96
    Started skating together: March 2014
    (Note: Haley Sales won the 2012 Canadian Novice Women's bronze.)

ASHLYNNE STAIRS & LEE ROYER
    Novice Dance
    DOB: 16 AUG 2000/28 JULY 98
    Started skating together: April 2014

ETA:
    New, working link for the Feb. 2013 article that began this thread (found it in the News section of their new site): Canadians Wing, Lowe the wizards of ice dance
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-15-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I just came across Wing/Lowe's newly redesigned coaching website (appears to have launched earlier this year): Vancouver Ice Dance Academy
    Nice.

Interesting that both Wing/Lowe & Dubreuil/Lauzon not only both went on to get married, but form their own ice dance coaching centers as well! One in Montreal, and one out on the West Coast.

vCash
    They have a few very talented junior ice dancers under their wings.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Nice.

Interesting that both Wing/Lowe & Dubreuil/Lauzon not only both went on to get married, but form their own ice dance coaching centers as well!
    Not that it makes any difference, but while Wing and Lowe are a couple, I don't think they ever got married.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Wing and Lowe do have young twins correct? It must take great team work to design programs, coach and travel with a number of teams with two young children at home.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Not that it makes any difference, but while Wing and Lowe are a couple, I don't think they ever got married.
    Oh. I assumed they were after seeing them with their new babies. Well anyway, whether they are officially married or not, it's neat how 2 of Canada's former ice dance teams from the same era both ended up staying together off ice and starting their own ice dance training centers.

vCash
    I have to think working with your significant other must place a lot of stress on you. I love my husband but I think either he or I would end up going crazy working with the other.

That said, I am so happy for them. They were very good dancers that skated during the Bourne & Kraatz and Dubreuil & Lauzon reign.

There waltz OD from 1998-9 season remains one of my all time favourite Original dances.

vCash
    Wing and Lowe are married. I believe Skate Canada even had photos on their website for a while.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Wing and Lowe are married. I believe Skate Canada even had photos on their website for a while.
    Thanks for the info. I guess I was right the first time afterall.

Anyway, it's nice that both Wing/Lowe and Dubreuil/Lauzon got married and went into coaching together. It has meant that Canada now has more former top ice dancers working as coaches than we did in the past. And in this case, we have one center set up on the west coast, and one in Montreal. So it gives ice dancers more choices to choose from in their part of the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Couldn't find them, but I stand corrected. Did this happen recently?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I can't find them either, but I did find a page from the fall of 2011 about the birth of their twins:

http://www.skatetoday.com/2011/10/08...welcome-twins/

vCash
    Wing/Lowe have always stated in the past that their goal was to create a strong centre for ice dance on the West Coast. They are doing an excellent job of achieving this. They have created a great team atmosphere in the rink, keep strong discipline and focused training, and really look out for all their kids. I don't think being international level athletes themselves is the key to their success, although it is helpful. There have been great athletes who make terrible coaches, and lower level athletes who make exceptional coaches. I think the key factor in their success is that they have been able to combine the things they've learned in different rinks with a Masters level education in areas that compliment - human kinetics and sports psychology. There is science to what they do, and how they've structured their program. This is very important as the SPORT of ice dance progresses. What they need to do now is bring in someone with the experience to manage the ART and DANCE of ice dance, and refinement and packaging. They need someone to help them with pattern dances, and who can bring in more artistic, less formulaic, and more mature programs that can compete with the top in the world. They need someone of the calibre of David Wilson, Jeff Buttle, Krylova/Carmelengo - maybe an international dancer like V/M and W/P have used for their programs. Even better, if V/M are taking time out or retiring, maybe scoop them to put together a few international level programs. No one in the world can compare to those 2 in putting the dance in ice dance, packaging, refinement, etc. If Edwards/Pang have a full season to train without injury, with the right programs, packaging and choreography, I think they have the talent and skill to be at the top of the world podium next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    If Edwards/Pang have a full season to train without injury, with the right programs, packaging and choreography, I think they have the talent and skill to be at the top of the world podium next season.
    I assume you mean the Junior World Podium?

Yes, Edwards & Pang have potential, perhaps more so than their training mates Orford & Williams.

It was interesting that E&P achieved the required TES score and were named alternates to Senior Worlds and O&W didn't.

vCash
    I think it is nothing but a good thing to have another strong training center for ice dance in North America. How great it is for west coast ice dancers to have this option as a place to train, otherwise it is a move East for them. The more people knowing about and talking about ice dance is exciting.