Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Hearsay: Aliona Savchenko may continue competing with a new partner...

Elena Vaitsekhovskaya spoke to Artur Dmitriev in Saitama - link to her blog: http://winter.sport-express.ru/figur...reviews/42729/
    Relevant excerpt (via Google Translate):
    - What do you think Savchenko intention to continue her career with another partner to justify itself? Or is this just a joke?

[Artur Dmitriev] - Aliona really wants to continue to skate - it is quite clearly voiced after the Olympics. Then I do not rule out that it is said on the emotions, but here in Saitama approached me Dasha Popova, I once coached her in St. Petersburg and she is now skating for France with Bruno Massot. Said that immediately after the World Championships the couple seems splits because the partner [Massot] goes to Savchenko.
    Lynn Rutherford tweeted earlier today:
    "KKany reports Aliona Savchenko said she & coach Steuer might announce her new partner at an exhibition in Chemnitz in 4 wks"

ETA that Ingo Steuer used to coach Popova/Massot - he's listed in their ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013737.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-28-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Massot!?!? That would be crazy. What does she think she will accomplish with that weak skater.

vCash
    Uhm...Masot is dire.

vCash
    Massot would also be crazy to leave his current partnership for Savchenko. Savchenko will get frusterated and dump him within 2 months, and then he will have nobody. Talk about stepping out of your league.

vCash
    Massot is a consistent jumper. He rarely misses a 3S, 3T or 2A.
    He is used to Ingo's technique on twists and throws. By the way, Popova/Massot have a better triple twist than S/S, and Popova is not a light-weight Chinese girl.
    Massot is taller than Robin and is an excellent lifter too.
    As a pair skater, Robin is a legend with amazing strength and power, but Bruno is an underappreciated talent. I wish he found stronger partners before and now he has the opportunity to skate with Aliona, the very best in the business.

vCash
    If Bruno is such a talent why is he always 15th at worlds and 10th at Europeans. Who would they even be coached by if she is moving to France. Steuer or would they be coached by Massot's current coach.

vCash
    Massot ?

vCash
    I have to admit that I had dreams of Aliona skating with some great male pairs skater who is either unpaired or floundering with an unequal partner. Someone like Brubaker or Tran. But Massot. I have to admit that before this news, I didn't even know who he was.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Well, that would explain why Daria Popova looked so grumpy during the pairs competition, especially in the K&C. But we don't know for sure that it is Massot.

vCash
    Is this yet another example of someone chasing that elusive Olympic Gold medal when they should probably be thinking about retiring? She's going to be 31 and there is no way she will achieve the same results with a new partner.

vCash
    Well... Who better can she get?

Massot is consistant, he is familiar with Steuer's technique and has been at his rink, he is tall enough and strong enough. he is French - part of EU like Germany. I wont say this with 100% but I think it makes it easier for them to sort out citizenship if 2018 is the goal.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    After their skates here, I have no doubt Popova and Massot are going to split. He's lucky she didn't murder him in his sleep. Aliona must reeeeaaaaallllly want to continue skating is all I can say, but if the male partner can do the heavy work, the female partner can earn the points. Of course, that means you don't fall on nothing like Bruno did in the free skate. They'd skate for Germany and he'd move.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by annabrown View Post
    If Bruno is such a talent why is he always 15th at worlds and 10th at Europeans. Who would they even be coached by if she is moving to France. Steuer or would they be coached by Massot's current coach.
    Popova could not land a jump all year and has been struggling with injuries. You are as good as your weakest link.
    Massot is going to surprise a lot people.

vCash
    Perhaps when Aliona has a time to think - and is away from the intense training and competition - she may realize she could find something else to do. Not that she shouldn't skate. But sometimes it is easier to stay with the familiar than to declare that part "complete".
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Perhaps when Aliona has a time to think - and is away from the intense training and competition - she may realize she could find something else to do. Not that she shouldn't skate. But sometimes it is easier to stay with the familiar than to declare that part "complete".
    Amen to that Thing is, it is said that S/S have signed a preliminary 3 years contract with Art on Ice .... she won´t be jobless

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Is this yet another example of someone chasing that elusive Olympic Gold medal when they should probably be thinking about retiring? She's going to be 31 and there is no way she will achieve the same results with a new partner.
    Who are the others? Aliona just won Worlds, she is (arguably) the best pairs woman around and she doesn't have any serious injury issues AFAIK. If she wants to continue competing, why shouldn't she?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Who are the others?
    Rodnina could never call it quits

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Angel View Post
    Amen to that Thing is, it is said that S/S have signed a preliminary 3 years contract with Art on Ice .... she won´t be jobless
    Can Aliona skate with Robin at Art on Ice and skate with a different partner for eligible competitions at the same time? I don't mean 'as per rules' but physically- is that possible to skate with two different partners in nearly the same time frame?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If all pairs only skated for a gold medal, most would have to quit except for about 5 or 6 pairs. If she can continue then she should if she wants to. She is one of the best ladies pairs skaters, even after all this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Can Aliona skate with Robin at Art on Ice and skate with a different partner for eligible competitions at the same time? I don't mean 'as per rules' but physically- is that possible to skate with two different partners in nearly the same time frame?
    I think that's what might have been considered with the word "preliminary". That doesn´t sound like a definite contract to me. I´m still stumbling across that word.... that seems to be Alionas plan B , for not being "jobless" in the end. But who knows......

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast